Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state overall? Who wins?
Maryland 43 30.71%
Virginia 87 62.14%
Tie 10 7.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 09:32 AM

128 posts, read 72,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yeah Baltimore is and still feels urban, and large overall. I just rode back on the Amtrak NE regional train this past weekend from NYC to DC, so making all the stops along the way. Baltimore didn't even feel that much smaller than Philly from the train honestly, and it's equally as urban through most neighborhoods. You notice a good amount of urbanity coming into town and then go through a series of tunnels and even after exiting them ride through more city urbanity after exiting the tunnels. I think it's still top 8 in urbanity in the US. Virginia has no urban equal.
Although I agree that Baltimore is more urban than either Richmond or Norfolk alone I believe that the actually urban experience is not too different. Richmond urban built environment is honestly as large as Baltimore. The difference is Baltimore is busier and more densely populated. However the number of buildings downtown and row house neighborhoods is similar. Obviously Baltimore is busier than Norfolk and offers a larger urban area but sometimes quantity is not better than quality. Norfolk is generally a cleaner city with with a more expansive downtown harbor, a good mix of restaurants, shops, and museums. Other than major league sports it really offers a similar experience to Baltimore. Granted Baltimore offers more of these things, but if you combined the amenities of Norfolk and Richmond it really becomes pretty even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 12:06 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
Although I agree that Baltimore is more urban than either Richmond or Norfolk alone I believe that the actually urban experience is not too different. Richmond urban built environment is honestly as large as Baltimore. The difference is Baltimore is busier and more densely populated. However the number of buildings downtown and row house neighborhoods is similar. Obviously Baltimore is busier than Norfolk and offers a larger urban area but sometimes quantity is not better than quality. Norfolk is generally a cleaner city with with a more expansive downtown harbor, a good mix of restaurants, shops, and museums. Other than major league sports it really offers a similar experience to Baltimore. Granted Baltimore offers more of these things, but if you combined the amenities of Norfolk and Richmond it really becomes pretty even.
I don't like be "that guy" again, but Baltimore operates on a completely different spectrum of urban scale compared Richmond which shouldn't come of as a surprise when it anchors an MSA that is larger than Richmond + Norfolk/VA Beach combined.

All these Google Earth snapshots are to identical scale.

Richmond

Baltimore

Norfolk

Last edited by Joakim3; 09-24-2023 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-24-2023, 02:35 PM

128 posts, read 72,249 times
Quote:
I don't like be "that guy" again, but Baltimore operates on a completely different spectrum of urban scale compared Richmond which shouldn't come of as a surprise when it anchors an MSA that is larger than Richmond + Norfolk/VA Beach combined.

I feel like these pictures still prove my point. Richmond's urban area still looks similar to Baltimore's urban area. Baltimore's urban are is just more densely populated. Having been to both cities numerous times I know Baltimore is busier than Richmond, but I honestly still feel like I am in a similar sized urban area. I know that Richmond is overall a smaller city than Baltimore, but I feel that the difference in urban area is not that significant. If you like urban areas with less traffic and a bit more green space than you may prefer Richmond or Norfolk. However if you prefer busier urban areas than Baltimore definitely would be the better choice for you.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I feel like these pictures still prove my point. Richmond's urban area still looks similar to Baltimore's urban area. Baltimore's urban are is just more densely populated. Having been to both cities numerous times I know Baltimore is busier than Richmond, but I honestly still feel like I am in a similar sized urban area. I know that Richmond is overall a smaller city than Baltimore, but I feel that the difference in urban area is not that significant. If you like urban areas with less traffic and a bit more green space then you may prefer Richmond or Norfolk. However if you prefer busier urban areas than Baltimore definitely would be the better choice for you.
That difference in urban area is massive when there is a two fold population difference, and that's before you get into the nuances of weighted population density.

Baltimore UA - 654 sq/mi, 2.21 million people (3,377.5 ppsm)

Richmond UA - 512 sq/mi, 1.06 million people (2,067.3 ppsm)

Last edited by Joakim3; 09-24-2023 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 05:51 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Huge difference in urban scale between Richmond and Baltimore, but not in urban character. As in, there's no culture shock going to Baltimore from Richmond, it literally looks like much of Richmond. They sound like Tidewater people...

But scale, yes. Much larger and much busier, more people on the streets, more traffic, subways, the scale is easily much different. It's just that the visual urban character is similar...

Old 09-25-2023, 09:53 AM

85 posts, read 46,042 times
No opinion on Norfolk but in 2023 I'd take Richmond over Bmore. The size advantage doesn't translate to increased desirability (though I still like Bmore).

Old 09-25-2023, 04:29 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

Richmond

Baltimore

Norfolk
While I definitely believe Baltimore to be on a much different scale than Richmond, I do think the North/South perspective you chose for your Google Earth screenshots might be unintentionally misleading for Richmond, since the city spreads East/West because of the James River and Shockoe Valley. So if you spin the orientation, it is even more apparent that there are similarities.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
While I definitely believe Baltimore to be on a much different scale than Richmond, I do think the North/South perspective you chose for your Google Earth screenshots might be unintentionally misleading for Richmond, since the city spreads East/West because of the James River and Shockoe Valley. So if you spin the orientation, it is even more apparent that there are similarities.
Richmond has similarities to Baltimore for the same reason Baltimore has similarities to Philly. They all have similar mid-atlantic architecture styles (row homes and red brick buildings) but the scales are not similar.

Here's a better perspective of Richmond vs. Baltimore vs. Philly to scale (7km from each cities city hall)

Richmond

Baltimore

Philly

Last edited by Joakim3; 09-25-2023 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 09:19 PM

109 posts, read 157,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

Richmond

Baltimore

Norfolk
I'm not too sure about that between HR & Richmond MSA is almost pushing 3 million Richmond is 1.2 HR is 1.7 that's 2.9, Baltimore isn't even 2.5 million. While yes Baltimore is more urban than both cities, once combined outside of professional sports Baltimore MSA doesn't offer more than both Norfolk & Richmond combined MSA. Your reaching for Baltimore especially when the city has lost so much population.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:19 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Richmond urban built environment is honestly as large as Baltimore.
It's really not, although Richmond's is arguably larger than most know or give it credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City