Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state overall? Who wins?
Maryland 43 30.71%
Virginia 87 62.14%
Tie 10 7.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 11:26 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both, I prefer MD but VA wins in most categories objectively. Not that MD is a slouch. MD compares favorably to most states in the US. Would love to see competent leadership in Maryland so it can reach its potential. It's already one of the best states but it could be much better.

Last edited by 908Boi; 10-20-2020 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 11:33 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
I think Virginia wins this overall, objectively. I've lived in all three(DC, MD, VA) and I more or less view them as the same region so I love all three equally. I prefer the MD side to the NOVA side for what I'm into personally but there's no denying NOVA's strengths. Richmond is one of my favorite parts of the region and is criminally underrated. The statues have also been coming down here lately. Keep your eye on the city. I also lived in Philadelphia for several years after college and while I do hold a special place for the city in my heart, it has its own fair share of poverty, while we are on the subject. Lets not even get started on Pennsyltucky. I'm not originally from VA or NOVA before I'm accosted lol.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:39 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I think Virginia wins this overall, objectively. I've lived in all three(DC, MD, VA) and I more or less view them as the same region so I love all three equally. I prefer the MD side to the NOVA side for what I'm into personally but there's no denying NOVA's strengths. Richmond is one of my favorite parts of the region and is criminally underrated. The statues have also been coming down here lately. Keep your eye on the city. I also lived in Philadelphia for several years after college and while I do hold a special place for the city in my heart, it has its own fair share of poverty, while we are on the subject. Lets not even get started on Pennsyltucky. I'm not originally from VA or NOVA before I'm accosted lol.

Im not accosting you. lol

I lived in DC proper for a long time. Maryland was always considered the better state from those living in the district. VA was not. Kind of like NY looks down on NJ. People who actually live in DC look down on VA.

VA is not just NOVA and that is what drives me crazy. Because everyone only looks at the state through that lens.

The southern portion of Virginia is not very desirable it has some of the highest levels of poverty in the nation.

And it is a true fact Virginia has a higher poverty rate than Maryland. Maryland is the third least impoverished state in the nation. Even with Baltimore City.

I will take Bethesda anyday over Arlington.

I will take Annapolis anyday over Alexandria.

And I will take Frederick over Roanoke. I can keep going...

Old 10-20-2020, 11:45 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
Also, Virginia has more shoreline than MD. Virginia has 7,213 miles of shoreline, Maryland has 3,190. You may have been confused with Maryland's Chesapeake Bay shoreline numbers which are 7, 719 miles of shoreline. This number is a combination of their ocean shoreline, bay shoreline and also tributaries.

"For legal and regulatory purposes, it is recommended that DNR reference NOAA’s
official value for total length of Maryland’s shoreline: 3,190 miles. For general,
educational and informational purposes, it is appropriate to use the updated figure of
7,719 miles of shoreline. "

https://www.vims.edu/bayinfo/faqs/shoreline_miles.php
https://dnr.maryland.gov/ccs/Documen...sReference.pdf

Old 10-20-2020, 12:03 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Also, Virginia has more shoreline than MD. Virginia has 7,213 miles of shoreline, Maryland has 3,190. You may have been confused with Maryland's Chesapeake Bay shoreline numbers which are 7, 719 miles of shoreline. This number is a combination of their ocean shoreline, bay shoreline and also tributaries.

"For legal and regulatory purposes, it is recommended that DNR reference NOAA’s
official value for total length of Maryland’s shoreline: 3,190 miles. For general,
educational and informational purposes, it is appropriate to use the updated figure of
7,719 miles of shoreline. "

https://www.vims.edu/bayinfo/faqs/shoreline_miles.php
https://dnr.maryland.gov/ccs/Documen...sReference.pdf
Thats still shoreline.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 PM

386 posts, read 986,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Im not accosting you. lol

I lived in DC proper for a long time. Maryland was always considered the better state from those living in the district. VA was not. Kind of like NY looks down on NJ. People who actually live in DC look down on VA.

VA is not just NOVA and that is what drives me crazy. Because everyone only looks at the state through that lens.

The southern portion of Virginia is not very desirable it has some of the highest levels of poverty in the nation.

And it is a true fact Virginia has a higher poverty rate than Maryland. Maryland is the third least impoverished state in the nation. Even with Baltimore City.

Virginians don't ever use the term southern Virginia unless they are from NOVA and have never really visited the other areas of the state. There is a Southside Virginia (rural and smaller towns and communities in the south-central part of the state. Examples: Farmville, Danville, Martinsville), Richmond metro area (Richmond/Petersburg and surrounding counties), Hampton Roads/Tidewater area (Norfolk, Va Beach, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Williamsburg), Southwest Virginia (Roanoke area to Big Stone Gap). The three main metro areas/population centers of Virginia are Nova, Richmond, and Hampton Roads. Annapolis is actually similar to Alexandria, but Annapolis also reminds me of Portsmouth, VA, Fredricksburg, and sections of Norfolk and Richmond. I believe some from DC might look down on VA because they aren't really familiar with the Commonwealth outside of NOVA and know much more about Maryland.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
MD easy for me.

The VA area or metro DC is better than the MD DC region I think.

But there’s an entire state. From the shores to the mountain. Annapolis and the eastern shore is so beautiful and nice. I prefer the MD beaches to VA’s.

But the rest of VA to the rest of MD? MD.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
There's a difference in perspective concerning NoVA and suburban MD which is based on race. Black folks in DC tend not to speak of VA all that favorably, Montgomery County can be viewed the same way, and EVERYBODY rags on PG. Objectively, NoVA has been eating MD's lunch for years now. MD officials seemed a bit embarrassed that they offered Amazon the biggest incentives packages of all finalist cities for HQ2 and yet it still picked NoVA which offered one of the smallest packages. Within the past several years, VA has been attracting corporate headquarters while MD has been losing them.

Obviously MD has its strengths and I like it. But you clearly have an agenda here.

Quote:

Nobody in this thread implied that VA is only NoVA but apparently you think VA is only the southern part of the state since your posts can be summarized as "more poverty in VA" x 100.

Quote:
No one said it was false.

Quote:

Don't.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:49 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
In terms of DC metro: Bethesda and Potomac are the most beautiful burbs.
Well perhaps after Great Falls, Langley, Mount Vernon and Leesburg.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:17 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Thats still shoreline.
If you're using that logic just remember Virginia has severslof tributaries that flow into both the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean that's not included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City