Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state overall? Who wins?
Maryland 43 30.71%
Virginia 87 62.14%
Tie 10 7.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 05:35 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Maryland, but used to live in Virginia. I know both inside and out!

People in Maryland have an inferiority complex. People in Northern VA are wealthier and more educated. In addition, home prices in northern VA reflect the fact that people rather live in Northern VA than Maryland. Maryland has Bethesda and Potomac...ok, and? Also, I never understood why Annapolis was such a source of pride for people in Maryland. It's nice but not all that.

A poster indicated that Maryland has Baltimore and Virginia does not have anything equivalent. I have some news - Virginians are thankful everyday their state does not have a Baltimore. The Hampton Roads area has a CSA of 1.8 million people and truly a distinct area from Greater DC. Baltimore is just a crime infested poor satellite city of DC.

Don't misunderstand me, there are nice areas of Maryland, but VA is a state with its own identity and not just runoff suburbia of DC.

So my message to these Marylanders: " DON"T HATE....CONGRATULATE!" Now, go eat a crab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 06:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I currently live in Maryland, but used to live in Virginia. I know both inside and out!

People in Maryland have an inferiority complex. People in Northern VA are wealthier and more educated. In addition, home prices in northern VA reflect the fact that people rather live in Northern VA than Maryland. Maryland has Bethesda and Potomac...ok, and? Also, I never understood why Annapolis was such a source of pride for people in Maryland. It's nice but not all that.

A poster indicated that Maryland has Baltimore and Virginia does not have anything equivalent. I have some news - Virginians are thankful everyday their state does not have a Baltimore. The Hampton Roads area has a CSA of 1.8 million people and truly a distinct area from Greater DC. Baltimore is just a crime infested poor satellite city of DC.

Don't misunderstand me, there are nice areas of Maryland, but VA is a state with its own identity and not just runoff suburbia of DC.

So my message to these Marylanders: " DON"T HATE....CONGRATULATE!" Now, go eat a crab.
This is a pretty fair assessment. I am from Maryland. Virginia does have more of a uniform state identity. Maryland has so many different regions that feel so different: Baltimore, DC suburbs, Eastern Shore, Western Appalachia.

The one thing I will say about NoVA vs. the DC suburbs of MD; is that NoVA feels so much nicer, cleaner, wealthier and better looking compared to MoCo. Much of MoCo is very tacky looking. Areas like Wheaton, White Oak, parts of Silver Spring, and even parts of Rockville (including the town center) are weird mixes of rundown looking shopping centers, old homes, 90's-era office complexes, and nice homes/developments all within the radius of a few miles.

NoVA is much better organized, cleaner, better maintained, nicer homes overall, and are just more traditional looking suburbs.

I personally like Howard County better. It is a lot cleaner and better maintained. Columbia is very similar to Reston. Ellicott City is a charming town. There are other areas with nice homes and lots of greenery, but still close enough to Baltimore for urban amenities (not that I love Baltimore as a city, but it does have some charm). Annapolis is charming downtown (and some historic site-seeing) and has some nice water options, but that is about it.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:19 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:

Actually, PG and Moco have a superiority complex towards Virginia, so it's the exact opposite than what you stated. Especially among the born and bred Black population in those counties. Now regarding the other counties in the state of MD, I can't speak for them, but I could maybe see that being the case.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
VA all the way for me.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:54 PM

53 posts, read 49,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All of present-day DC was former Maryland territory. In 1846, VA got back the land it gave towards the creation of the District, which contains Arlington County and part of Alexandria, nearly 50 years earlier.
Yeah, but it's common knowledge that Virginia is the state where most USA presidents are born. So D.C. is damn near like a Virginian city anyway. How many presidents come from Maryland? Even Stevens Kevin Bannon, a jewish man who ran president Donald Trump's campaign and his Cabinet, is from Norfolk, Virginia.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhound View Post
Yeah, but it's common knowledge that Virginia is the state where most USA presidents are born. So D.C. is damn near like a Virginian city anyway. How many presidents come from Maryland? Even Stevens Kevin Bannon, a jewish man who ran president Donald Trump's campaign and his Cabinet, is from Norfolk, Virginia.
The state presidents and Trump's campaign manager come from has nothing at all to do with your earlier statement which was not completely accurate. Plus most of the presidents from VA lived out in the countryside where they owned lots of land (among other things). DC is the exact opposite--a bonafide urban city containing the U.S. seat of government. Of course it was still developing during the era of VA-born presidents but it was planned to be an actual city.

VA donated the smaller parcel of land to the federal government for the creation of DC and wanted it back less than 50 years later. Maryland donated the larger portion and what consists of present-day DC is former Maryland territory.

DC feels like a mix of both states. Downtown DC/National Mall are closer to VA, just across the Potomac whereas DC and MD share a land boundary along NW, NE, and SE and DC's outer/MD's suburban neighborhoods blend more or less easily with each other.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:58 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
I lived in the DC area for 20 years and its VA all the way. I lived in Woodley Park, on the red line which goes to MD, couple miles from the District line, and could go months or longer without crossing over. There was never any reason to go to MD. DT Bethesda is like a smaller version of the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in VA except everyone we knew lived in DC or NoVA. MD also gets pretty sketchy east of Connecticut Ave near DC, then it goes into super bland suburbs, and then you hit the nasty, disgusting mess known as Baltimore.

NoVA's pretty boring too, with a lot of exceptionally bland, chain restaurant suburbia, but if we're just comparing it to MD, then it's not close.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:20 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
I actually like and enjoy them both, wouldn’t mind relocating to either. The further west you go in Virginia it gets a bit too rural for me though.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:04 AM

509 posts, read 433,198 times
Quote:
I Baltimore is just a crime infested poor satellite city of DC.
I was just in Baltimore for New Years weekend and really loved the city. Stayed at an Airbnb in Fells Point for a little solo getaway and was really impressed with the urbanism, level of development and revitalization, architecture, and walkability of Fells Point, the Inner Harbor, and Federal Hill.

Did a lot of solo walking until late at night all over and never felt dangerous. The American Visionary Art Museum was great and lots of amazing little bars and eateries around. I also respected the fact that all the bars and restaurants were closed to limit covid except for takeout only which didn't bother me in the least and just had my to-go walking beer and ate in the park like everyone else. 90% of folks were masked up too. It's more like 40% where I live so that was a breath of fresh air to see.

Sure it has its rough edges, but I've experienced that in Savannah, New Orleans, Memphis, Richmond, Norfolk, Cincinnati, and Cleveland as well. I say this as a 9-year resident of Virginia so respect from a Virginian. Though compared to where I live I'd say just about any big urban city, even Baltimore, will make a positive impression on me lol...

I am (hopefully) headed up to Frederick in April for the first time and will see how I like it. Heard nothing but good things.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:39 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I lived in the DC area for 20 years and its VA all the way. I lived in Woodley Park, on the red line which goes to MD, couple miles from the District line, and could go months or longer without crossing over. There was never any reason to go to MD. DT Bethesda is like a smaller version of the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in VA except everyone we knew lived in DC or NoVA. MD also gets pretty sketchy east of Connecticut Ave near DC, then it goes into super bland suburbs, and then you hit the nasty, disgusting mess known as Baltimore.

NoVA's pretty boring too, with a lot of exceptionally bland, chain restaurant suburbia, but if we're just comparing it to MD, then it's not close.
Yeah, I think Bethesda and Chevy Chase have a similar look and feel to parts of Arlington and Alexandria. But Silver Spring, which is always touted as a urban inner-ring urban suburb is so much grittier than Arlington, Alexandria (and Bethesda, Chevy Chase). Even though Silver Spring improved over the years, the last time I was there a couple of years ago it still felt much rougher, grittier, and less clean than the other similar cities (Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, Chevy Chase). I have never really liked it.

I agree that NoVA is boring, but it maintains attractive, clean, and organized suburbs. I feel like many of MD's equivalent suburbs are not as attractive, clean, or well-organized. If you live in NoVA, there is not really any need to go to MD. Arlington and Alexandria offer everything that Bethesda/Chevy Chase do. Plus you have Tyson's and Reston, which are nice for suburban shopping. And the other VA suburbs are very nice and offer standard suburban offerings (even if boring).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City