Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state overall? Who wins?
Maryland 43 30.71%
Virginia 87 62.14%
Tie 10 7.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 02:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Public Transit: Maryland
Universities: Tie
Economy: Virginia
Wealth: Maryland
Character: Tie. They both have tons of character
Politics: lean Maryland
Suburbs: no vote. Hate suburbs.
Schools: Tie
Urban Cores: Maryland
Diversity: Not sure. I’ll guess Maryland
Shopping: the internet is everywhere
Food: tie
Road Network/Traffic: tie
Sports: Maryland
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches: Virginia
Economic Future: Virginia
Job/Housing Market: Virginia
Nightlife/Entertainment: Maryland
History/Museums: Both are great. I’ll pick Virginia for history and Maryland for museums.

I think on the categories listed, Maryland wins, but asked to pick my personal favorite, there might be some other variables that would factor in and make it a closer race.
I agree with most of this, although for Universities, Virginia wins big time. It has among the best collection of in-state options for residents. UVA (obviously one of the top public colleges in the nation), William and Mary (which doesn't have national name recognition but has the reputation as a regional Ivy), James Madison (solid state school), Virginia Tech (great for engineers), and a few other really solid local options like George Mason.

Maryland has solid Universities, so it's not bad on that front, but it loses to Virginia big time. UMD College Park is a solid, middle tier flagship. UMBC is a great in-state gem for science/pre-health sciences student. Other in-state universities are solid, although nothing extraordinary. Hopkins is obviously great for science/engineering, although it's not a state school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 AM

17 posts, read 13,627 times
QOL - Both states offer different vibes/lifestyles for everyone (Appalachia, Suburban, Inner Cities, Rural, Coastal).
Public Transit: Tie (Carpools, vanpools, transit, passenger ferry, commuter rail, biking, walking, and teleworking).
Universities: Virginia
Economy: Tie
Wealth: Maryland
Character: Tie
Politics: Tie (typical urban/suburban areas liberal and rural areas conservative)
Suburbs: Tie
Schools: Tie
Urban Cores: Maryland
Diversity: Maryland
Shopping: Tie
Food: Tie
Road Network/Traffic: Tie
Sports: Maryland
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches: Tie
Economic Future: Virginia
Job/Housing Market: Tie
Nightlife/Entertainment: Tie
History/Museums: Tie

Old 01-18-2021, 08:28 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with most of this, although for Universities, Virginia wins big time. It has among the best collection of in-state options for residents. UVA (obviously one of the top public colleges in the nation), William and Mary (which doesn't have national name recognition but has the reputation as a regional Ivy), James Madison (solid state school), Virginia Tech (great for engineers), and a few other really solid local options like George Mason.

Maryland has solid Universities, so it's not bad on that front, but it loses to Virginia big time. UMD College Park is a solid, middle tier flagship. UMBC is a great in-state gem for science/pre-health sciences student. Other in-state universities are solid, although nothing extraordinary. Hopkins is obviously great for science/engineering, although it's not a state school.
I agree on the public systems. Virginia has one of the best in the country. I just thought Hopkins and USNA would help Maryland keep the race close.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:43 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
I voted for Virginia, but on second thought I'm not sure. Bethesda, Baltimore and Annapolis?

Old 01-19-2021, 06:58 PM

403 posts, read 296,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I voted for Virginia, but on second thought I'm not sure. Bethesda, Baltimore and Annapolis?

I agree, Virginia has some nice parts.

But in terms of DC burbs.

I will take Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Frederick

over Arlington, McLean, Alexandria and Manassas.

Plus Maryland has Baltimore and Annapolis.

And Maryland has the entire Eastern Shore, which is brimming with character.

IMO Bethesda is far nicer than Arlington, when comparing the two closest suburban areas next to DC.

And I also find Potomac to have much more character than McLean.

Overall, MD is the wealthier state as well.

Maryland is also more connected with DC, given it has only a small natural barrier therefore its built environment is quite seamless between DC and MD.

Whereas VA is completely separated by the Potomac.

For example, Chevy Chase, MD feels like an extension of NW DC. The two even share a park, connecting Bethesda to Georgetown. (VA has no park given the River barrier).

Example 2. Silver Spring is a complete extension and seamless transition of NE DC.

Last edited by Penna76; 01-19-2021 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-20-2021, 08:47 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

In addition, both VA and MD have good HBCUs.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:09 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
I'm not a huge fan of either state, but if you make me pick one it would be VA by a hair. It offers just a little bit more than Maryland overall imo. I don't like MD's taxes and poor governannce in many areas. Virginia has slightly better nature too (though many would argue for Maryland in this area).

Old 01-25-2021, 08:45 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
But in terms of DC burbs.

I will take Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Frederick

over Arlington, McLean, Alexandria and Manassas.
Gaithersburg? No really different than Centreville or Burke.'

Potomac is a garish version of Great Falls. Rockville is an older looking version of Fairfax.

DC suburbs in general are exceptionally boring. The issue I always found with the MD side is far fewer people we knew lived there. (we lived in the District) A lot of people seem to start off in the post college condo ghettos in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor, and then buy homes in Fairfax or Loudoun if they stay longer term.

There are also a ton more jobs on the VA side, which pulls in even more people. As time has gone on, this has tilted further and further in VA's direction, and it's still happening with Amazon and Microsoft expanding there.

As I said earlier, I lived in Woodley Park, right on the red line, and it was in VA at least 5x-10x more than I was in MD. Really wasn't much reason to head north of Chevy Chase Circle.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

Potomac is a garish version of Great Falls. Rockville is an older looking version of Fairfax.

DC suburbs in general are exceptionally boring. The issue I always found with the MD side is far fewer people we knew lived there. (we lived in the District) A lot of people seem to start off in the post college condo ghettos in the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor, and then buy homes in Fairfax or Loudoun if they stay longer term.

There are also a ton more jobs on the VA side, which pulls in even more people. As time has gone on, this has tilted further and further in VA's direction, and it's still happening with Amazon and Microsoft expanding there.

As I said earlier, I lived in Woodley Park, right on the red line, and it was in VA at least 5x-10x more than I was in MD. Really wasn't much reason to head north of Chevy Chase Circle.
What are some examples of non-boring suburbs across the US? The average person moves to the suburbs, to escape city-like activity. DC's suburbs are more urban on average than the average US suburb. I've been to a lot of suburbs across the nation, I don't know of many that I would point to and say, wow those places are fun. It's about what's live-able, DC's burbs are very "live-able".

Old 01-25-2021, 09:16 AM

403 posts, read 296,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

I lived in NW DC for a sizable amount of time. And I have to disagree with you.

I would be in Bethesda often. Way more than Arlington or Alexandria.

Alexandria especially is less convenient than Bethesda if you are a NW DC resident.

And I did have a car while living in DC, and I would frequent MD way more often.

Virginia was always a major hassle to access from NW DC.

You had to basically make your way down Wisconsin to cross the bridge. While Wisconsin was very convenient to Chevy Chase, Bethesda and even Rockville.

I did go to the Costco in Pentagon City on a monthly basis.

And I even would do Tyson runs.

But I found McLean, VA overall to have a great deal of 60s/70s ranch style architecture, and lots of 70s style strip malls you would find in any run of the mill suburb in the USA.

While Potomac really has none of that type of build, and is much more scenic and has overall more of an exclusive and scenic feel.

Yes, McClean has some very exclusive developments. But I found Potomac to be more scenic. And the same goes with Bethesda.

IMO, Chevy Chase/Bethesda/Potomac are the nicest DC suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City