Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most southern influence?
Baltimore 8 13.79%
St Louis 19 32.76%
Cincinnati 31 53.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Then I’ll put it this way:

Nearly all of Maryland is below the Northern most part of Virginia (and Maryland shares hundreds of miles of a border with VA). That puts Maryland squarely in the South?
Most of NJ is south of the Northern most part West Virginia. Does that now put NJ in the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 01:33 PM

61 posts, read 50,527 times
St. Louis felt the most southern to me. It felt like a true cross of the south and the mid-west. Cincy was mostly mid-western with some Appalachian culture mixed in. Baltimore is very much a north eastern blue collar city.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:40 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Most of NJ is south of the Northern most part West Virginia. Does that now put NJ in the south?
I believe Brooklyn, NY is further south than the northernmost point of West Virginia.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:58 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
I partially disagree with you. Maryland IS considered a Southern State: https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

I would say that very few people in the general public consider it "traditionally/culturally" Southern though. It is "technically" a Southern state, but not "practically" a Southern state.
Here's the dilemma. The Census classifying regions of the country is very outdated. Their main expertise and overall objective as an agency is getting the population count correct. Many other high profile government agencies with more influence and bigger budgets have labeled Maryland as a part of the NE corridor. So even within the Federal government, there is ambiguity in regard to this topic. It also reveals that the "other agencies" do not follow the official designation of the Census. This shows how relevant it is. I've included a short list of Federal agencies that classify Maryland as the Northeast.

FCC - https://www.fcc.gov/eb-rfo
FAA - https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/nemap.jsp
FTC - https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureau...central-region
EPA - https://www.epa.gov/gcx/iclus-data-northeast-region

Old 10-21-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
It's interesting because I am from Michigan, and many people in the North (meaning Great Lakes region/states) that I know, consider Maryland the South. I think they go from the antiquated Mason-Dixon Line definition.

In fact when Univ. of Maryland joined the Big Ten, there were self-deprecating jokes on a lot of the talk radio stations and in the newspapers to the effect of "you know that traditional college football is dead when there is a Southern school in the Big Ten (paraphrasing)."

So geography can influence perception. Many from the North/Great Lakes region do tend to think of Maryland as a Southern state. Although many have not likely spent a lot of time in Maryland (although several people I know have been to DC for tourism). Still I don't know that they put it together.

I spent time in the Northeast, as I went to college in the NE (Philly). So I know that Maryland is more Mid-Atlantic culture, as opposed to northern or southern. But some do still consider it southern, if they aren't familiar with the state.

The perception of people in different parts of the country never ceases to amaze me. When Maryland went to the Big 10, many people on sports talk in this area had the perception that Big Ten schools were in hick towns. Stereotypical Midwest stuff. Until you visit some of them you will realize that they aren't hickish at all.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:31 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Baltimore is *far* closer to the northermost Northeastern cities than the southernmost southern cities. It's far closer to Philly and NYC than it is Charlotte and Atlanta. There is very little culturally and characteristically about Baltimore that associates it with the south. At one point, when the U.S. was way, way smaller, Baltimore being classed a "southern" city would make sense. But it's 2020 people. Baltimore is Mid-Atlantic, and Northeastern before it is a "southern" city.

And even if it is very technically and historically a "southern" city, the thread is about "which city is most southern INFLUENCED?". What are some traits about Baltimore that make it southern influenced?

Old 10-21-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Baltimore is *far* closer to the northermost Northeastern cities than the southernmost southern cities. It's far closer to Philly and NYC than it is Charlotte and Atlanta. There is very little culturally and characteristically about Baltimore that associates it with the south. At one point, when the U.S. was way, way smaller, Baltimore being classed a "southern" city would make sense. But it's 2020 people. Baltimore is Mid-Atlantic, and Northeastern before it is a "southern" city.

And even if it is very technically and historically a "southern" city, the thread is about "which city is most southern INFLUENCED?". What are some traits about Baltimore that make it southern influenced?

For one, that Bmore accent is one of the worst in the nation if not the world. That's with Blacks and Whites. It doesn't discriminate. It's awful.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
For one, that Bmore accent is one of the worst in the nation if not the world. That's with Blacks and Whites. It doesn't discriminate. It's awful.
Lol.. That was pretty funny.

Don't get too carried away tho. The DC accent is pretty bad too.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Lol.. That was pretty funny.

Don't get too carried away tho. The DC accent is pretty bad too.

Hey, I'm not in disagreement. LOL

Old 10-21-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Hey, I'm not in disagreement. LOL
One thing I find funny is that when they try to reproduce the Black Baltimore accent on TV, they usually have us sounding like slaves. We don't even use most of the words that they portray on TV.
We don't say "I'm fitting to go." I saw on the wire when the dude was driving around buying burners (cellphones) he told Stringer "I brought back this here batch, boss"

Who the hell talks like that in Baltimore

Sorry about the typos.. I'm typing from my cellphone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City