Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is SF or Miami more iconic outside the US?
SF Bay Area--Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley 57 64.77%
Miami--South Beach, Little Havana 30 34.09%
Neither--Cleveland is more famous than both, because of Lebron and the Cavaliers, and NBA is big internationally! 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 07:04 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times

Advertisements

Miami might not have as many "landmarks" as San Francisco but it has many different things that are recognizable as being the Miami style. Just show a cruise ship on beautiful water and a lot of people would only think of Miami.

Then you have things like the architecture, the lush tropical vegetation, the unique climate, all the neon lights, the huge skylines, the beautiful people, the unique nightlife and clubs, sports cars, beaches and bikinis, the busiest cruise ship port in the world, the everglades, unique animals, fishing, art deco South Beach, all the pastel colors, all the Wynwood art, the Caribbean, Latin American and New York influence, all the different accents of the people, the celebrities and super wealthy, man made islands, gorgeous colored water, huge yachts, water sports, hurricanes, drugs, the beautiful people, huge mansions and condos on water everywhere, the whole vice city style and clothing, spring break and party craziness and just the overall heat and steamy sexiness. I can go on and on.. All of these things combine for a super unique experience not found anywhere else on the planet.

https://youtu.be/9pRgVvBJed8?t=28

Does anyone want to name some things that San Francisco is known for? Cable cars and a bridge? Wtf

Last edited by popka; 10-21-2020 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 07:17 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That they are unique to SF, and what makes them unique, and that they aren't just old, outdated streetcars. I stand by the belief that if a foreigner is shown this https://img.theculturetrip.com/1440x.../01/pyt456.jpg and one blocked out references to "San Francisco" on the vehicle, they are not going to think San Francisco.

While on this topic, what is the purpose of them, exactly? Are they just old vehicles that do the exact same thing that streetcars do, but that the city refuses to get rid of? Doesn't seem like they are practical for anything, other than clogging up roadways. (Serious question. I know very little about them.)
No other city has something that looks like it just like how London’s older looking double decker buses are well known. You knew about them from Full House but just didn’t realized what they were called. What other city could they possibly think of from that pic?

They’re mainly just historical tourist attractions now but they came about because of SF’s steep hills. I don’t think a regular streetcar could traverse those steep grades. That’s what also makes them fairly recognizable; they’re set within SF’s well known steep hills.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:21 PM

955 posts, read 612,082 times
As someone who's lived overseas for many many years, San Francisco is globally famous, whereas Miami's well-known in Latin America only.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, I know lots of people in Japan and South Korea who are at least familiar with the Miami music scene, as well as movies based in Miami, and, of course, South Beach as a party destination.
I've lived in both countries for 15 years and that's not true whatsoever.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:26 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
I've lived in both countries for 15 years and that's not true whatsoever.
What's "not true whatsoever?" That I know lots of people in Japan and South Korea who are at least familiar with Miami?

Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
What's "not true whatsoever?" That I know lots of people in Japan and South Korea who are at least familiar with Miami?
That that is something that can be generalized. Japanese or Korean people who are friends with someone in Florida are probably a poor representation of the population as whole. English speakers from those two countries also are a very poor representation as well.

Anyway I can confirm Miami is probably one of the least-talked about major cities in the US when it comes to East Asia.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:41 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
I voted Miami. Not only is it arguably the capital of the Spanish & Portuguese speaking world, Europeans love going on holiday to Miami/Florida. I’d guess Canada also is more Miami oriented.

Asia & Australia Definitely San Francisco.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:16 PM

40 posts, read 35,270 times
Surprised that Miami has so many votes. I grew up in the South (Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina) and just moved back from the Bay Area after living there for a few years and almost never hear about Miami at all — either in the Bay Area or in the South. Then again, I don't keep up with pop culture, so perhaps that's why I've missed hearing about it. I'm not even really sure what Miami is known for other than beachfront property. But talking to my coworkers from all around the world, most of them indicate that Silicon Valley (+SF) is very well known.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:29 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I voted Miami. Not only is it arguably the capital of the Spanish & Portuguese speaking world, Europeans love going on holiday to Miami/Florida. I’d guess Canada also is more Miami oriented.

Asia & Australia Definitely San Francisco.
Portuguese? Would that be Rio or São Paulo before Miami?

Old 10-21-2020, 09:30 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I voted Miami. Not only is it arguably the capital of the Spanish & Portuguese speaking world...
Sometimes Americans need to just stop. As a 26-year resident immigrant of Sao Paulo who is completely immersed in the language and culture, I can assure you with zero hesitation that Miami is DEFINITELY NOT the capital of the Portuguese speaking world--That's insulting, full of misplaced hubris and belittles the 2 mega cities in the Portuguese speaking world that dwarf Miami, and Portugal itself, where the language originates.

Miami is where many rich and upwardly mobile Brazilians park their money and/or shop and/or vacay and/ or migrate to as a gateway to the United States-more power to them-but the capital of the Portuguese speaking world??? QUE? Sai fora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City