Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is SF or Miami more iconic outside the US?
SF Bay Area--Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley 57 64.77%
Miami--South Beach, Little Havana 30 34.09%
Neither--Cleveland is more famous than both, because of Lebron and the Cavaliers, and NBA is big internationally! 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 09:34 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Portuguese? Would that be Rio or São Paulo before Miami?
Miami isnt even in that conversation. Only in the US would we say such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 09:43 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I actually think it's farily even. SF and Miami appeal to completely different kinds of people from opposite ends of the world for different reasons-I know SF is very well known in Europe and I believe so is Miami. These 2 have the most foreigners after NY and LA, along with NY and LA, SF and Miami are the nation's 4 largest international gateways---I appreciate that a lot and understand why the OP may have created this thread because it's an interesting duo---we have such variety and diversity in this country-that's so cool.

I voted for SF because Im the biggest SF homer on CD, plus I've lived all over and SF needs no explanation anywhere in my experience-they offer up what they know from gays to hippies to tech to the bridges to the bay to the liberalism to the homeless to the food to this, that and the other-so SF for me, but Id understand the reasons why Miami would win too.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:40 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepton7 View Post
Surprised that Miami has so many votes. I grew up in the South (Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina) and just moved back from the Bay Area after living there for a few years and almost never hear about Miami at all — either in the Bay Area or in the South. Then again, I don't keep up with pop culture, so perhaps that's why I've missed hearing about it. I'm not even really sure what Miami is known for other than beachfront property. But talking to my coworkers from all around the world, most of them indicate that Silicon Valley (+SF) is very well known.
There's two sides to every argument, including surprised SF has so many votes given it's rarely referenced east of the Mississippi River. Miami/Miami Beach/South Beach are frequently discussed and not only as a vacation/cultural hot spot, but also a major base for international banking/commerce and the business gateway to Latin America, Caribbean and South America. I'm fairly certain your co-workers are also well aware of Miami if not from a business perspective but via vacations, or at the very least from TV/films.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:50 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
i'm haitian. all my relatives bounce between miami and port-au-prince every 4 months or so.

i'm surprised the poll mentions lebron james becuz i'm taking my talents to south beach is a popular quote.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:56 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Portuguese? Would that be Rio or São Paulo before Miami?
in the u.s., def boston moreso.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:53 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
For differing reasons, SF and Miami appeal to different people and vary in terms of familiarity. From an international perspective and based on geographical proximity and technology orientation, SF will appeal to more Asians whereas Miami appeals more to Latin America, Caribbean, European and Middle East residents. Climate wise (as well as vacation or resident wise) Miami’s year round warm weather cannot be manufactured, duplicated or transported elsewhere and climate preference, like career path choice, is valued differently from person to person.

Asia has the most people in the world but is someone living in the lesser developed, populous rural areas of China, Pakistan or India going to know much more, if anything, about SF than Miami?? ....I doubt a bridge or a beach matters to these people. I would suspect more, perhaps most, people living in dense urban population centers would likely be somewhat familiar with both cities (even if by name only), which could/ would differ from personal preference—in which case SF would be the more popular choice. I also think it would be (much) easier for an Asian to adapt to SF whereas it would make less difference between the 2 cities for residents from other countries/continents.

PS...Miami is NOT the Portuguese speaking capital—though Miami is often referred to, by some, as the capital of Latin America...I do like the fact it has (did pre Covid, and will post Covid) many direct flights to more cities in Brazil. Eu gosto !!

Last edited by elchevere; 10-22-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 08:39 AM

724 posts, read 403,278 times
This is tough. They are about even. Obviously, Miami is actually considered by many to be part of Latin America, so that would make it very international. Although San Francisco is very well-known internationally. It is very well-known in Asia and has lots of international travel in and out. So Miami > Latin America and SF > Asia. I would probably give the slight edge to San Fran.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I certainly hear Miami, a lot more than I hear SF named when I travel abroad, or from any friends that I know who are abroad.
True to an extent. When I'm in Asia or Australia, it's SF by FAR. Latin America, Europe and Canada is definitely Miami more.

Not sure about Africa.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Nearly impossible to answer. I'd say they are about equally recognizable.

"San Francisco" is slightly more searched than "Miami" on Google in China and Japan. "Miami" is a slightly more frequently used search term in India.

"Miami" is searched significantly more in nearly all African countries. "Miami" is a search term in Nigeria about 2.5 times as often "San Francisco." In South Africa, it appears as a search term 3 times as often.

Miami garners significantly more search interest in Europe. 2.5 times more interest than SF in France. Twice as much in the UK and Germany. 3 times as much in Italy. Oddly enough, they are nearly evenly searched in Spain.

Miami is searched about 6 times as often in Brazil than SF is. That should not be a surprise to anyone.

Australians Google "Miami" about twice as often as they Google "San Francisco."

Miami has been tagged about 3 times more than San Francisco on Instagram FWIW.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:13 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Interesting stats...thanks...re: Instagram, I’m willing to bet 90% for that is due to the hot Miami Instagram babes who post...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nearly impossible to answer. I'd say they are about equally recognizable.

"San Francisco" is slightly more searched than "Miami" on Google in China and Japan. "Miami" is a slightly more frequently used search term in India.

"Miami" is searched significantly more in nearly all African countries. "Miami" is a search term in Nigeria about 2.5 times as often "San Francisco." In South Africa, it appears as a search term 3 times as often.

Miami garners significantly more search interest in Europe. 2.5 times more interest than SF in France. Twice as much in the UK and Germany. 3 times as much in Italy. Oddly enough, they are nearly evenly searched in Spain.

Miami is searched about 6 times as often in Brazil than SF is. That should not be a surprise to anyone.

Australians Google "Miami" about twice as often as they Google "San Francisco."

Miami has been tagged about 3 times more than San Francisco on Instagram FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City