Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is SF or Miami more iconic outside the US?
SF Bay Area--Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley 57 64.77%
Miami--South Beach, Little Havana 30 34.09%
Neither--Cleveland is more famous than both, because of Lebron and the Cavaliers, and NBA is big internationally! 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,972,874 times

Advertisements

For the purposes of this thread, well known means how iconic the city is. Sure, people around the world have heard of both Miami and San Francisco. But which of the two is more iconic, contains more iconic landmarks, industries, etc to foreigners? Which do foreigners know more about beyond just their names?

Here's my observations:

Miami is extremely popular among Europeans and Latin Americans. However, while Asians have heard of Miami and do visit Miami for the beaches, it seems like San Francisco is far more well known among Asians than Miami is. And that Asians are more likely to visit even Hawaii than Florida for beaches.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is extremely well known in Asia. And yet San Francisco is also extremely well known in Europe and Latin America. The Golden Gate Bridge, for example, is more iconic than anything in Miami. Then you have Silicon Valley, which makes news all around the world more often than Miami does. (Silicon Valley technically is the Bay Area, often considered Greater SF). Cities around the world market themselves as the Silicon Valley of China, of India, of Europe, of Brazil, of this or that country or region.

So my observation is, SF has most of the fame that Miami enjoys in Europe and the Middle East, and in top of that, is far more famous in Asia than Miami is. And because Asia is over half the world's population, that extra fame SF enjoys in Asia really adds a ton of extra weight to SFs worldwide repute.

Or who knows, maybe Cleveland is more famous than both. Lebron James, and the Cavaliers. NBA is big in China and India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,362,247 times
San Francisco overall due to more worldwide connections in Asia and international business.

But my guess would be if someone hasn't heard of one, then they probably haven't heard of the other.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM

9,929 posts, read 6,638,998 times
In Latin America and the Caribbean, definitely Miami. In the rest of the world, San Francisco.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:53 PM

17,270 posts, read 15,467,080 times
Miami. Entertainment/Media has more of an impact than a lot of C-D'ers give it credit for in terms of international notoriety.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:04 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,408,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
For the purposes of this thread, well known means how iconic the city is. Sure, people around the world have heard of both Miami and San Francisco. But which of the two is more iconic, contains more iconic landmarks, industries, etc to foreigners? Which do foreigners know more about beyond just their names?

Here's my observations:

Miami is extremely popular among Europeans and Latin Americans. However, while Asians have heard of Miami and do visit Miami for the beaches, it seems like San Francisco is far more well known among Asians than Miami is. And that Asians are more likely to visit even Hawaii than Florida for beaches.

San Francisco, on the other hand, is extremely well known in Asia. And yet San Francisco is also extremely well known in Europe and Latin America. The Golden Gate Bridge, for example, is more iconic than anything in Miami. Then you have Silicon Valley, which makes news all around the world more often than Miami does. (Silicon Valley technically is the Bay Area, often considered Greater SF). Cities around the world market themselves as the Silicon Valley of China, of India, of Europe, of Brazil, of this or that country or region.

So my observation is, SF has most of the fame that Miami enjoys in Europe and the Middle East, and in top of that, is far more famous in Asia than Miami is. And because Asia is over half the world's population, that extra fame SF enjoys in Asia really adds a ton of extra weight to SFs worldwide repute.

Or who knows, maybe Cleveland is more famous than both. Lebron James, and the Cavaliers. NBA is big in China and India.
You obviously tilted this towards San Francisco with this sentence, but I'm sure it wasn't your intention

Old 10-21-2020, 01:09 PM

626 posts, read 465,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Here's my observations:

Silicon Valley is like 45 miles from San Francisco and isn't even in the same metro area.. It's like D.C. trying to take credit for Baltimore, but worse. And do you honestly think a bridge is iconic? It's 2020 dude, nobody outside of San Fran cares about that bridge. They probably only visit it when they get bored of San Francisco Cable cars? lol, rice a roni

Last edited by popka; 10-21-2020 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 01:12 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,414,289 times
Miami's location alone puts it closer to several other foreign countries than its own state's capital.

SF not as near to foreign countries, but draws from all over the world, especially Asian countries.

Miami is definitely more international/foreign feeling than SF. But which one is more "iconic" internationally? As in, in the most places? I would say SF wins that.

Granted, I don't think either city is that "well-known" to foreigners, outside of that Miami is known as a "beach city" and San Francisco has tech and the Golden Gate Bridge.

NYC and LA are the only truly well known American cities abroad, largely thanks to media and Hollywood. There's a decent gap down to the next rung (SF/Chi/DC/Miami)

Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 PM

24,564 posts, read 18,309,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Miami's location alone puts it closer to several other foreign countries than its own state's capital.

SF not as near to foreign countries, but draws from all over the world, especially Asian countries.

Miami is definitely more international/foreign feeling than SF. But which one is more "iconic" internationally? As in, in the most places? I would say SF wins that.

Granted, I don't think either city is that "well-known" to foreigners, outside of that Miami is known as a "beach city" and San Francisco has tech and the Golden Gate Bridge.

NYC and LA are the only truly well known American cities abroad, largely thanks to media and Hollywood. There's a decent gap down to the next rung (SF/Chi/DC/Miami)

I'd quibble that NYC and LA are #1 and #1A, DC #2 simply because it's the capital and appears in world news so frequently. Then a huge step down. Asians will know west coast cities better than east coast cities. Random person in Seoul or Taipei will be more likely to know San Francisco than Miami. Latin America will know Miami since it's the gateway city.

Since 4 1/2 billion of the 7 1/2 billion people on the planet live in Asia, I'm going to have to go with San Francisco.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:55 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,995,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd quibble that NYC and LA are #1 and #1A, DC #2 simply because it's the capital and appears in world news so frequently. Then a huge step down. Asians will know west coast cities better than east coast cities. Random person in Seoul or Taipei will be more likely to know San Francisco than Miami. Latin America will know Miami since it's the gateway city.

Since 4 1/2 billion of the 7 1/2 billion people on the planet live in Asia, I'm going to have to go with San Francisco.
East Asians know SF, but not all Asians are East Asian. I have no idea which city is more known in Pakistan/India or if either are well known.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:22 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,414,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

When I say "well known", I mean known more than just one or two things. Some foreigners may know DC is the capitol, but they won't know much else about the city. The neighborhoods, sports teams, culture, etc. Many foreigners know the Yankees, Manhattan, Times Square, Broadway, Statue of Liberty, etc. Heck, some people from abroad think NYC is the capitol of the U.S.

Even knowing DC is the capital, I still would say it's on SF/Chi's level of "well known". Pop culture espouses much more fame for NYC and LA in recent times than other U.S. cities. And if we're being real, that tends to be how foreigners know about different countries' cities. I don't think foreigners, on average, are as enamored with U.S. politics as some may think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City