Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is more desirable?
LA 104 72.73%
Chicago 39 27.27%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:00 PM

555 posts, read 417,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice55 View Post
What do you think the Kids in LA are rapping about today ? There's all kinda gangs on instagram and YouTube dissing each other in rap songs... kicking over candles and dissing they enemies on camera after a murder.

That's part of the Gangsta rap culture that been around since the early 80's, Its probably New in Chicago with Drill but it's decades old in Los Angeles.

And LA really started that YouTube Gangsta wave when the Crips surrounded Lil Wayne and Birdman in 2008.
Than some Bloods out of Inglewood got killed on camera after jumping another Blood rapper the prior day.

And Pre Drill aka Gangsta Rap is way realer than what it is today, 50 Cent and Pac getting shot was real street beef. Biggie getting killed was real street beef. Deathrow had LAPD on the payroll. Pac got into a big fight with the BD'S in Milwuakee. Than he shot 2 police officers down in Atlanta. The yearly homicides was way higher than today so the street's was more vicious.You couldn't fake it back than like you could today. Rick Ross exposed,
69 Exposed, Lil Wayne exposed, Game exposed,
Bow wow exposed , Famous dex robbed in LA and exposes, Soulja boy exposed, Young Thug exposed,
I MEAN the list goes on about how many fake rappers got exposed today"

Master P brotha, C murder really in jail for murder,
Spice 1, C Bo, Mac Dre and plenty more was really involved in real street beef Pre drill. Now days it's all about clout chasing and running to Twitter. Where's the Deathrow records at in Chicago ??? Chicago cats gotta move to LA or Atlanta for a record deal. There's no growth in that drill scene. Lil Durk not up there like
50 Cent & Ice Cube / Snoop Dogg, Kanye West ain't even worth mentioning. Chance the rapper not even from the Drill scene. He like a nerd type of guy lol

Than the guys in Chicago just got killed by members of the R60 Crips down in Atlanta for trying start a fight and run back to instagram after. My example of clout chasing gone wrong. R.I.P to all parties involved.

Idk how y'all do it in Chicago but alot of these places Down South are infested with California gangs and they do things the California gang way because they're so much influenced by what they seen or heard. Plus they been on drill mode before Cali or Chicago gangs even hit the South. Louisiana is bred with savages.

All them Drill rappers talking about murder in rap songs is SNITCHING...Nothing real or savage about that.

Other than that,Chicago is a great city just like LA & NYC.
But there's nothing cool for trying to brag about gang murders. There's homicides in every city in the world,
Just because you from Chicago or some other big city don't mean you can't get got in some country farm town.
Gangsta's is everywhere.
This post didn't really address what I responded to regarding your original claims. However G.D.'s, Vice Lords and Latin Kings are deep as hell in the south and they are on count with Chicago. Gangs from Chicago that spread have to be official and plugged in the city. B.D., Black P. Stones and Simon City Royals have a presence in the south too. The Midwest is filled with Chicago gangs and that's a completely different level of organization. Bloods and Crips just start up overnight with no connection or hierarchy. To claim a Chicago gang you have to undergo a process of learning a lot of knowledge and history and be sanctioned .

Chicago gangs been going to eachother's hoods and making videos attacking the opps and dissin way before a Lil Wayne video. Chicago just never had a rap scene before where street guys rapped. Before Drill it was mainstream rappers like Common, Kanye, Lupe Fiasco & Twista that left Chicago and never built an industry at home.

Keef put Chicago gang culture in the limelight and it has influenced the culture heavy. NY/Brooklyn never tried to clone another city's style before. Chicago did that.

There ain't no scene more gangster than Drill. Count the bodies and homicide incarcerations since 2011. The reason there's no 'Death Row' type of label in Chicago is because the gangs are too violent. Chicago rappers go to L.A. and Atlanta to be safe when they get money. The minute you get fame in Chicago the clock is ticking before they blow your top.

The reason I brought up Chance and Juice Wrld is because I explained there are multi-platinum stars outside of Drill.

YOU mentioned Post Malone.....lolol

I can tell you know nothing of Chicago gangs or the history of Drill and it'S impact on the current generation of rappers. Do yourself a favor and do some research before speaking on Chicago.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:31 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,770,696 times
How can this poll be so close? LOL LA by a landslide.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:16 PM

555 posts, read 417,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Because there are people who prefer pre-war architecture, massive city-centers, public transit and walkable neighborhoods to suburban sprawl with mountain backdrops.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:04 PM

14,748 posts, read 14,737,404 times
The fact there are still so many undesirable neighborhoods that long-time residents are leaving not because of gentrification but because of violence and blight I think is the decisive factor here. Yes, it’s a pain to get around LA if you need to go outside of your part of the city, and Chicago certainly has some amazing amenities, but for day-to-day living LA has more to offer.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:43 PM

2,570 posts, read 3,645,745 times
Quote:

Was thinking the same thing. I'm amazed that LA is leading this. Simply amazed. Chicago is often ranked in the top 2-3 cities in the U.S. as far as livability, COL, culture, amenities, etc. LA is not. I will admit Chicago is going through a rough patch and its reputation has taken a huge hit in the last 4-5 years (black flight, crime, pension problems, and of course the ever-present stigma of weather). Still incredibly surprised by the voting but I guess it is what it is on C-D.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:16 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,770,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Because there are people who prefer pre-war architecture, massive city-centers, public transit and walkable neighborhoods to suburban sprawl with mountain backdrops.
Nah, when it comes to Chicago, people don't care about a massive city center. If we did, the poll results would be the opposite of what they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake
Was thinking the same thing. I'm amazed that LA is leading this. Simply amazed. Chicago is often ranked in the top 2-3 cities in the U.S. as far as livability, COL, culture, amenities, etc. LA is not. I will admit Chicago is going through a rough patch and its reputation has taken a huge hit in the last 4-5 years (black flight, crime, pension problems, and of course the ever-present stigma of weather). Still incredibly surprised by the voting but I guess it is what it is on C-D.
Not me. Chicago hasn't been the America's "Second City" for decades. LA is way more interesting, varied, captivating and exciting than Chicago in every way. There's a reason why it's been the slowest growing large city for so long now.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:44 PM

1,803 posts, read 945,014 times
Quote:
Nah, when it comes to Chicago, people don't care about a massive city center. If we did, the poll results would be the opposite of what they are now.

Not me. Chicago hasn't been the America's "Second City" for decades. LA is way more interesting, varied, captivating and exciting than Chicago in every way. There's a reason why it's been the slowest growing large city for so long now.
You are pushing this anti-Chicago scam way too far. Downtowns are important to a city and LA has re-discovered its downtown and what is left of old downtown LA being re-purposed too. Great to see. Reason the focal point of building LA rail is still downtown also.

Nothing you say is going to lessen any downtown of any city whether Chi or LA. Chicago merely has been a core-centric city for most of its existence. LA was earlier in the 20th century and then lost that. It has since found it.

Dogging on Chicago after this threads run and LA winning seems a bit personal? Both cities have a legacy and history of contribution to American culture. Both grew a American urban build that did have a common bond..... as both build a Bungalow-belt style of housing for Americans new rising Middle-Class of the 192-s 30s and for Chicago. Brick was the key component of building the home where LA it was not. Chicago's to this day amounts to 1/3 the city. LA went to the Ranch-style home and it defines it more today and suburban American in general. Still even in the 50s 60s Chicago was building its style of bungalow-ranch homes still a great urban build.

Weather left in while taking out COL is a sure bet against Chicago in the poll and probably the OP knew this. Still without weather I am sure the poll would have been closer.... whether LA still won or not.

You or no one can lessen the legacy's of these 2 cities though you may try to one and push buttons that need not be.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:55 PM

955 posts, read 618,908 times
Quote:
LA county is losing population and if trends hold then LA is going to be taking that "slowest growing large city" crown from Chicago soon.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:30 AM

5,872 posts, read 15,282,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
The thing about your comment is LA has all those things and more. You can live in the hills, the valleys, the cul de sacs, near the ocean or any of the hundreds of walkable urban neighborhoods like me. In a downtown highrise next to major subway station. Plus I can walk around enjoying the sunshine, birds of paradise, bougainvillea, palms and flowers year around.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:16 AM

955 posts, read 618,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The thing about your comment is LA has all those things and more. You can live in the hills, the valleys, the cul de sacs, near the ocean or any of the hundreds of walkable urban neighborhoods like me. In a downtown highrise next to major subway station. Plus I can walk around enjoying the sunshine, birds of paradise, bougainvillea, palms and flowers year around.
Sorry but comparing LA's urban neighborhoods and transit to Chicago's is like comparing Chicago's beaches to LA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City