Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is more desirable?
LA 104 72.73%
Chicago 39 27.27%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 04:09 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Did you just...

I mean I know you’re on the West Side but wow
Haha. Yeah, maybe they've never been to the SGV.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:17 AM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Alright, I thought a long time about this question. I feel like LA has a lot of advantages, in particular with its outdoorsy stuff. I really enjoy hiking, the weather is near perfect in SOCAL. I think the suburbs/satellite cities of LA are more interesting. Also, Chicago of course has more areas that are severely decayed and a higher crime rate.

But...ultimately, despite I think LA having more advantages, I gotta go with Chicago’s big city vibes. Even though I know that LA is not a suburban city in the least bit, I think Chicago has so many more great, large, urban neighborhoods, I like the treelined streets of Chicago better. And LA just doesn’t have a lot of neighborhoods that are comparable in that way.

Also, though the ocean isn’t there, and that’s a big negative imo, Chicago’s Lakefront and riverfront are among the best in the entire world. The line of Skyscrapers and Highrises, ranging from the late 1800s-present along Lake Michigan, and their surrounding neighborhoods, whether it be Lincoln Park, Near-North-Side, Lakeview, Indian Village gives chicago an actual, massive feel, that I’m just not sure LA can really compete with. And I’ll take that over anything else any day.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:07 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Chicago will always be regarded as the 'Second City.' It wasn't ever an official title based on size or population. It's more of a colloquial and defamatory term for describing Chicago as being New-York-lite.

It was the result of the rise of Chicago the and the many innovations that challenged New York's dominance which led to New York annexing Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island to become a mega-city and hold Chicago at bay. To this day Chicago is the only U.S. city on offer that provides anything even approaching the scale and vibe of Manhattan. L.A. just isn't a city in that traditional sense. San Fransicso is much closer to that type of urbanism but lacks the overwhelming scale.

Nothing in Chicago (scale and vibe included) mimics Manhattan. Chicago has its own pace and vibe, which makes it one of America's greatest cities.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:09 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Chicago is a better city in my opinion, but without cost of living factored in LA would be more desirable. Even with cost of living factored in, LA is seen as more desirable.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:05 PM

552 posts, read 408,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nothing in Chicago (scale and vibe included) mimics Manhattan. Chicago has its own pace and vibe, which makes it one of America's greatest cities.
I realize that Chicago doesn't "mimic" NY and has never aspired to. My point was Chicago is the closest urban setting in physical look and feel to Manhattan in the U.S. and it's undeniable. No other city has anything close to the volume, height, desnity and variety of architecture both historic and modern as Chicago. Thus, a major component of the "Second City" moniker that has survived for over a century.

It was Chicago's White City that inspired NY to build Penn Station, Washington Square Arch, Grand Central
Terminal etc.

Here's an article that discusses how Chicago could have over-taken New York:
https://nypost.com/2018/09/17/how-ch...greatest-city/

Old 11-23-2020, 02:21 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Sorry but comparing LA's urban neighborhoods and transit to Chicago's is like comparing Chicago's beaches to LA's.
Ok Chicago is more urban with better transit. I'll say LA is pretty dense with transit on a improving high. But overall I would stay put in LA. LA has all the good stuff, amazing food, cultural amenities etc. The difference to me is year around outdoor fun. Whether it's sitting at an outdoor cafe, working in your yard, taking walks, hiking, going to an outdoor concert, taking a leisurely bike ride, playing golf. Even the short excursions to Santa Barbara, or skiing in the mountains are awesome. Every February I head to Palm Springs for Mid century Modernism Week. Chicago is a great city in a traditional sense but overall it's LA.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:04 PM

18 posts, read 14,735 times
We're talking lesser of two evils right? Wouldn't live in either, could think of 20 cities I'd live before either of these places, but if forced to choose, I guess Chicago. But not in the city, one of the suburbs

Old 11-23-2020, 09:45 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Sorry but comparing LA's urban neighborhoods and transit to Chicago's is like comparing Chicago's beaches to LA's.
LOL yeah totally, I mean who would even think that there could be a compari-

Oh wait, except for the fact that L.A. Metro is actually a longer system than the Chicago L is right now with higher top speeds through a denser metro, with big time extensions rolling out in the next few years on the L.A. side (nothing but crickets/big talk on the Chicago side for future plans).

Old 11-23-2020, 09:51 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayButani5550144 View Post
QOL - Chicago? No chance. The winter is depressing AF. While your stuck inside in chicago with -15 degree weather, I'm driving up the coast to big sur, which is mesmerizing in itself. Sun + Beach + palm trees + legal weed + perfect weather + mountains + desert = unlimited activities.
Just the fact that you don't know weed is also legal in Chicago is proof enough that you don't know what you are talking about. As an ex-Californian in Chicago, if minus 15 degree weather even occurred every few years I would be the first to be outta here. Get a clue...........BTW how often does anyone from the LA area drive up to Big Sur??

Old 11-23-2020, 11:14 PM

955 posts, read 611,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
BTW how often does anyone from the LA area drive up to Big Sur??
I'm seeing a lot of fantasies of people being able to drive all over SoCal without any issues.

A lot of former LA residents cite the fact that traffic is so horrid that they aren't able to take full advantage of the natural amenities as a big problem. Someone working in Santa Monica but living in the Valley doesn't exactly have time to hang out at the beach after work because they're racing to get on the freeway before traffic gets horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.