Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is more desirable?
LA 104 72.73%
Chicago 39 27.27%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 11:09 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,730,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The flip side about being polycentric is everyone lives close to some (generally pretty amazing) amenities. Since there are way too many amenities in both cities for anyone to take advantage of all of them, some might consider it an advantage to live a few miles from some great things, rather than either right next to everything or far from everything
Good point.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:18 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,418,566 times
I would say Chicago is the better *city*, and LA is the better metro.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I can agree with this as well.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
There is only a "best city in the world" to one individual, and that is an opinion only. Plenty of people think Chicago is the best city in the world. It is a top tiered global city on the same lists you'll find New York City and London.
LA is on those same lists, FWIW.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:48 AM

12,886 posts, read 9,628,061 times
Quote:
Pretty fair I'd say.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:19 PM

955 posts, read 615,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Whoa....big words there!

Its another way of saying the the L.A. metro area is way stronger than Chicago. There's actually a reason to go out of the core city!
That's a very... positive way to look at it. Facts are facts, though, and the barriers to accessibility negate the existence of a lot of the oft-touted amenities in the first place for a lot of people.

In Chicago you're able to access your amenities, entertainment, shopping, sports, etc. in a much more centralized area which makes them easier to enjoy more often, periodt.

Old 11-27-2020, 01:12 AM

29 posts, read 16,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
This post didn't really address what I responded to regarding your original claims. However G.D.'s, Vice Lords and Latin Kings are deep as hell in the south and they are on count with Chicago. Gangs from Chicago that spread have to be official and plugged in the city. B.D., Black P. Stones and Simon City Royals have a presence in the south too. The Midwest is filled with Chicago gangs and that's a completely different level of organization. Bloods and Crips just start up overnight with no connection or hierarchy. To claim a Chicago gang you have to undergo a process of learning a lot of knowledge and history and be sanctioned .

Chicago gangs been going to eachother's hoods and making videos attacking the opps and dissin way before a Lil Wayne video. Chicago just never had a rap scene before where street guys rapped. Before Drill it was mainstream rappers like Common, Kanye, Lupe Fiasco & Twista that left Chicago and never built an industry at home.

Keef put Chicago gang culture in the limelight and it has influenced the culture heavy. NY/Brooklyn never tried to clone another city's style before. Chicago did that.

There ain't no scene more gangster than Drill. Count the bodies and homicide incarcerations since 2011. The reason there's no 'Death Row' type of label in Chicago is because the gangs are too violent. Chicago rappers go to L.A. and Atlanta to be safe when they get money. The minute you get fame in Chicago the clock is ticking before they blow your top.

The reason I brought up Chance and Juice Wrld is because I explained there are multi-platinum stars outside of Drill.

YOU mentioned Post Malone.....lolol

I can tell you know nothing of Chicago gangs or the history of Drill and it'S impact on the current generation of rappers. Do yourself a favor and do some research before speaking on Chicago.

NY Brooklyn copied LA style when Bobby came out Cripping and 69 came out Blooding. Regardless of how they rapped,..only Dipset came out of New York on that LA gang wave !!

I'm even hearing from my folks in Chicago that there's a Blood influence on the Kids out there. Prince Englewood and Black Jesus are Chicago Bloods I'm hearing.

It is what it is.

More rappers on a mainstream level represent LA gangs due to the migration of Bloods and Crips back in the 80's.. it's what they grew up on. Just like the current situation with King Von R.I.P , Georgia Crips got him and also 2 of Von homies. It's what I said earlier...LA gangsta rap been had this kinda scene... Homicides in the 90's prove what I'm saying. Majority of Damu ridaz and Banging on Wax gang members are dead or in prison for murder.

Here's my point ,

Deathrow influenced 50 Cent

Chief Keef said 50 Cent influenced him and it all goes back to who I influenced 50 Cent = 2pac & Deathrow

SO until I see a successful record label from Chicago, than I can't take it as legendary status. Just a bunch of kids wanting to be like Young boy or Chief Keef.

Old 11-27-2020, 01:30 AM

29 posts, read 16,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I have to say, you have an extreme bias, are ignorant of Chicago, or both. As a city, Chicago blows LA out of the water. (Maybe my bias, or ignorance, but I feel anyone who would choose downtown LA (for example) over downtown Chicago, has a bias. Oh, and there's the fact that downtown Chicago is on Lake Michigan, not miles away from an ocean. And, there's a thing known as a skyline......no contest there...at all.

When I think of a city, I think of the city proper. Suburbs...I could be happy in many suburbs of each city. I favor Chicago's. I do have a bias, though, as do you.
Downtown Chicago is amazing but it's the only thing Chicago has that's exciting in my opinion... City proper is great but when you're a Mega city than city proper is just the core. There's a reason why people in New York refer to Manhattan as the city. It's like a city within a city.
Same for L.A, Its a city within a county of smaller cities surrounding L.A city. It's what makes it a Mega city.

In LA you have more than just Downtown to explore,
You got the beaches, Wilshire,Korea town,Hollywood.

Like where is the Times Square or Hollywood at in Chicago ?

Like what's outside of the Chicago loop that's entertaining like Times Square or Hollywood ? See what I'm saying.

It's like LA & NYC are top tier mega city levels, you get a sense of massive area's to cover in those cities.

Than L.A has Beverly Hills and Santa Monica right in it's city core... Disneyland 20 miles away in Anahiem.Just way more exciting things in the LA area.

Plus Downtown LA is urban as you can get for a city surrounded by Mountain's and water...

My only downfall for Chicago is that its in the boring Midwest, When I travel to the Midwest I feel that farmland country aura. But when I visit the East or West, the energy is excitement.

Chicago may even be under San Francisco and D.C,
It what it is !

Old 11-27-2020, 05:58 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,902,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice55 View Post
Downtown Chicago is amazing but it's the only thing Chicago has that's exciting in my opinion... City proper is great but when you're a Mega city than city proper is just the core. There's a reason why people in New York refer to Manhattan as the city. It's like a city within a city.
Same for L.A, Its a city within a county of smaller cities surrounding L.A city. It's what makes it a Mega city.

In LA you have more than just Downtown to explore,
You got the beaches, Wilshire,Korea town,Hollywood.

Like where is the Times Square or Hollywood at in Chicago ?

Like what's outside of the Chicago loop that's entertaining like Times Square or Hollywood ? See what I'm saying.

It's like LA & NYC are top tier mega city levels, you get a sense of massive area's to cover in those cities.

Than L.A has Beverly Hills and Santa Monica right in it's city core... Disneyland 20 miles away in Anahiem.Just way more exciting things in the LA area.

Plus Downtown LA is urban as you can get for a city surrounded by Mountain's and water...

My only downfall for Chicago is that its in the boring Midwest, When I travel to the Midwest I feel that farmland country aura. But when I visit the East or West, the energy is excitement.

Chicago may even be under San Francisco and D.C,
It what it is !
Funny you comment on farming...did you know that California leads the nation in farming? Didn't think so. For you, also, to categorically call the Midwest boring, is a sure sign you've not spent time in other Midwest cities. If you think, for example, Milwaukee is boring, you haven't a clue.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:38 AM

553 posts, read 412,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice55 View Post
NY Brooklyn copied LA style when Bobby came out Cripping and 69 came out Blooding. Regardless of how they rapped,..only Dipset came out of New York on that LA gang wave !!

I'm even hearing from my folks in Chicago that there's a Blood influence on the Kids out there. Prince Englewood and Black Jesus are Chicago Bloods I'm hearing.

It is what it is.

More rappers on a mainstream level represent LA gangs due to the migration of Bloods and Crips back in the 80's.. it's what they grew up on. Just like the current situation with King Von R.I.P , Georgia Crips got him and also 2 of Von homies. It's what I said earlier...LA gangsta rap been had this kinda scene... Homicides in the 90's prove what I'm saying. Majority of Damu ridaz and Banging on Wax gang members are dead or in prison for murder.

Here's my point ,

Deathrow influenced 50 Cent

Chief Keef said 50 Cent influenced him and it all goes back to who I influenced 50 Cent = 2pac & Deathrow

SO until I see a successful record label from Chicago, than I can't take it as legendary status. Just a bunch of kids wanting to be like Young boy or Chief Keef.
There has always been rumors that a couple Blood members have been in Chicago forever. I've never seen it or nobody I know. Anytime I heard someone with authority speak on that subject it is always laughed at. Definitely not like Stones out in L.A. or those Pasedena Latin Kings. Chicago has used the term Blood for family forever. So today you have some sets claiming "Blood Gang" before their neighborhood but they will be B.D., G.D. Vice Lord, Stones, Mickey Cobras or 4 Corner Hustlers over everything. They are either Folks or People, no way around it. Chicago gangs date back to the late 1940's/1950's. The culture is set in Chicago.

By your logic broski everybody is trying to be the first rappers from NY if you are going to use a lineage of who influenced who. I don't care what gang rappers are claiming in NY, they are are rapping and functioning like Chicago Drill, they are using Chicago lingo, content, video production and they are doing features with Chicago Drillers. They even say they are "Drill Rappers." They took a lot from the U.K. too who also copied Chicago Drill.

NY gangs tried to align with People and Folk nations and use that style of symbolism, structure, rank and knowledge. They did a lot of Fu things for years and UBN tried to demo like Black P. Stones more than West Coast Bloods. 5 pointed stars, claiming a nation, laws, Moorish principles, Muslim faith, literature, rank, code, structure, etc. The internet called a lot of that out so they changed some things to be more West Coast oriented but it's still people around the country just claiming what they want over-night.

The reason Bloods and Crips are widespread in the industry is because Bloods and Crips have been making videos, music, movies, documentaries and interviews for decades. People can start their own sets without any connection to official Bloods or Crips. You don't have to be sanctioned. There's not a rigid hierarchy that isues rank and orders, etc.

Chicago gangs never spoke on business when the chiefs had everything in the city and OT sets on lock so the culture was never shown to the nation on a mass scale until Chief Keef, after all the structure and leaders were broken down. They spread historically throughout the country more low-key but trust me they are everywhere. In NY the G.D's are the most hated gang by the rappers and everyone is rapping about being GDK. The Latin Kings were the first Chicago or L.A. gang in NY and some NY Latin Kings spoke in an interview about Chicago being the Motherland and that 100 Chicago Kings came out to check them and shut them down because they weren't sanctioned. Chicago put them on and made them official and gave them the knowledge, literature and rank of the nation so they are plugged into a nation of laws.

In Atlanta the G.D.'s are deep even with the onset of Bloods and Crips coming in. The thing is you can't just claim Black Disciple, Vice Lord, Black P. Stone or G.D. without being dubbed out for false flagging if you haven't officially been put on. Chicago gangsters aren't going to speak on the gang like the Mafia so they give you very little information to run with and copy the culture like Bloods and Crips do with the colors and bandanas, their history and name dropping, tell a million stories of how they began, etc. And Banging on Wax was some underfground rappers that lasted a couple years. Drill has been around a decade and has created tons of rappers and spread around the country with Drill scenes all over. It's not the same, Quando Rondo and those Georgia Crips was influenced by Polo G, Calboy and King Von by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.