Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban bang for your buck?
Philadelphia 35 29.41%
Baltimore 6 5.04%
Chicago 53 44.54%
Pittsburgh 25 21.01%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 09:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
1) Chicago. By far the biggest bang for your buck for a city of its size. BUT with that you sacrifice location. You are very isolated in that part of the country.
In what way is Chicago "very isolated"? Within 5 hours, you can drive to 7 metro areas with a population greater than 1 million people (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids). It's at the heart of the Great Lakes megaregion which contains 55 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
In what way is Chicago "very isolated"? Within 5 hours, you can drive to 7 metro areas with a population greater than 1 million people (Milwaukee, St. Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids). It's at the heart of the Great Lakes megaregion which contains 55 million people.
Probably meaning that there are no metropolitan areas above 5 million within 700 miles of Chicago, leaving Chicago to dominate the entire Midwest portion of the nation virtually uninterrupted. Where on the East Coast as an example you have 4 of those such metros and mid size ones within 400 miles (not isolated).

Old 10-28-2020, 10:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Probably meaning that there are no metropolitan areas above 5 million within 700 miles of Chicago, leaving Chicago to dominate the entire Midwest portion of the nation virtually uninterrupted. Where on the East Coast as an example you have 4 of those such metros and mid size ones within 400 miles (not isolated).
I suppose so, but there are only 9 metro areas above 5 million, 3 of which are on the east coast while the other 6 are scattered around the rest of the country. Using this criteria, what region aside from the northeast isn't very isolated?

Old 10-28-2020, 10:24 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I call BS. The real estate of an entire city can't be undervalued. That's ridiculous. Real estate prices reflect demand. If the demand goes up, the prices tend to follow.
^What kimumingyu said. It's just correlating market values, and which cities across the globe are more susceptible to a bubble due to inflated COL based on some leading indicators.

But in general, it's really pretty straight forward. Chicagoland remains the most affordable major metro I've lived in, yet with very little sacrifices (aside from lack of drivable options outside of the metro).

If an equation existed, something like: amenities + domestic and International culture + education + job access + transportation + beauty / COL, Chicago would probably win out amongst it's North American peers. And to be fair, Philadelphia would do very well, too.

Now I, personally, prefer living on the East Coast.. A drive down the Cape, skiing in Vermont, a weekend stay in Portland, the White Mountains, the waterfalls, the hills. All things that I can't really do in Chicagoland, despite this idea Chicagoans push about the Lake and Western Michigan. But when it comes to value or a p/dollar equation, it's Chicago in a landslide vs. most.

Last edited by mwj119; 10-28-2020 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-28-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
There are only 9 metro areas above 5 million, 3 of which are on the east coast while the other 6 are scattered around the rest of the country. Using this criteria, what region aside from the northeast isn't very isolated?
It's probably a combination of Chicago and proximity to endearing topography, and proximity to cities that folks deem of value.

Proximity to Cleveland, Detroit, and St. Louis ain't going to win over the hearts of folks that live in LA or NYC. This is an uphill battle that Chicago will never win.

And honestly, I don't disagree.. The idea that Chicago is in a less interesting and more isolated part of the country certainly has merit.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
There are only 9 metro areas above 5 million, 3 of which are on the east coast while the other 6 are scattered around the rest of the country. Using this criteria, what region aside from the northeast isn't very isolated?
Boston is quite literally at 4.9 million, and Greater Boston NECTA is actually more than that, so that's really 4 metros right at or above the 5 million threshold within 400 miles on I-95 alone. In between these you have an almost 3 million metro in Baltimore, and another over 1 million in Rhode Island. Again all along one interstate.

I'm not saying if a metro is under 5 million it shouldn't count, my family is scattered around those Midwest areas. Each is unique and offers something in their own right. The Midwest has a lot of 1.5-3 million metro balance, probably the most in the nation. There's just not another dominate city in Chicago's reach in the eyes of those from the NE-Mid Atlantic.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:19 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Compared to Philadelphia (which is only an hour or two away from NYC), Chicago may seem isolated, but what I don't get is, so what if Chicago is isolated geographically? It isn't landlocked as there's a giant lake literally right there, and the city is so massive that it has everything you could possibly need. No other neighboring city has something that Chicago doesn't have, so there's really no reason to leave the area, unless for work, visiting someone, vacation, etc. Do I want to go to a different part of the country? Chi has two of the busiest airports in the U.S. with tons of flight options. It is not as if people in Chicago feel trapped and can't leave to anywhere.... there are tons of places in the region to visit for a daytrip, but most people here don't have the "need" to do that very often. Chicago has everything they could possibly need.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Compared to Philadelphia (which is only an hour or two away from NYC), Chicago may seem isolated, but what I don't get is, so what if Chicago is isolated geographically? It isn't landlocked as there's a giant lake literally right there, and the city is so massive that it has everything you could possibly need. No other neighboring city has something that Chicago doesn't have, so there's really no reason to leave the area, unless for work, visiting someone, vacation, etc. Do I want to go to a different part of the country? Chi has two of the busiest airports in the U.S. with tons of flight options. It is not as if people in Chicago feel trapped and can't leave to anywhere.... there are tons of places in the region to visit for a daytrip, but most people here don't have the "need" to do that very often. Chicago has everything they could possibly need.
Chicago also has a variety of interesting smaller cities that are easy to get to and do have things that are different from Chicago. Lake Michigan is quite a bit different from one spot to another. There are no large mountains, but there is hilly terrain within reach.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-28-2020 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-28-2020, 12:42 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
That is true, but not everyone views it like that. Philadelphia has a premium locations, it's 2 hours from the beach, 2 hours from mountains, 2 hours from New York, 1.5 hours from cute little cities like Lancaster, 3-4 hours from DC. Its not to say Chicago doesn't offer a well-rounded environment, but the isolation argument compared to Philadelphia does hold weight when you expand outside of the respective city.

For me, the weather is the largest setback for Chicago. It can be downright miserable for a good chunk of the year, whereas Philadelphia is fairly temperate with easy winters compared to Chicago. (Chicago summers are wonderful though).

But, out of this group, I find Pittsburgh to be the most isolated. Its the smallest city with much less to offer compared to Chicago, not near anything, no water access, more limited airport, and the weather is not much better than Chicago.

Last edited by cpomp; 10-28-2020 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-28-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Bolded is kind of the point.

No city near Chicago is of particular interest to most. Much like Chicago, DC/Philly/NYC/Boston are all interesting places overly worthy of a weekend or vacation. So, when you live in Philly, it's really nice to have those options at your fingertips.

When you live in Chicago, you make statements like "No other neighboring city has something Chicago doesn't have". You don't make that statement in the Northeast.

And, regardless of how much you love Wisconsin or Western Michigan, you're never really going to have a comp to Newport, or Nantucket, or Burlington, or Portland, or Portsmouth. It's not to dismiss the former areas entirely, but if you have to choose between the offerings within 4 hours of Chicago, or the offerings within 4 hours NYC... Kind of an easy one for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City