Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban bang for your buck?
Philadelphia 35 29.41%
Baltimore 6 5.04%
Chicago 53 44.54%
Pittsburgh 25 21.01%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 01:54 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
but everyone I know in Chicago can't wait to leave and the numbers show that. I would say Chicago but because of that I have to say Philly..then Pittsburgh..then Chicago...then Baltimore.

I gotta get up outta Baltimore. Baltimore is priced appropriately for what it offers, maybe slightly overpriced. Coming from Boston it just no longer offers enough for me. I kinda blew through what Bmore has to offer. At this point, it's starting to feel small and a bit backward to me and it's only been 30 months.
When I visit big cities and I come back with that same realization of Baltimore. It becomes more glaring that Baltimore is doing everything completely wrong, when every other city is doing mostly everything right. As much as I love Fells Point, Fed Hill, Canton, and basically anything east of downtown and south of Monument Street and other areas of the city, with the condition of the city, and the people who inhabit it, it does feel a bit small at times. I will say, however, that I'm not even close to scratching to surface of the ethnic eateries around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 01:56 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manson Lamps View Post
Chicago by far. I don't know how it's even remotely close aside from this place being completely warped. Never heard anyone (in real life) hype up Philly the way it's done here.
That's silly. You are entitled to think Chicago takes the cake. Yet your anecdotal evidence that, allegedly, you've "never heard anyone hype (in real life) hype up Philly the way it's done here" is kind of meaningless. I know plenty of people from outside here that love it and "hype it up." Just because it doesn't match your limited experience, doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere.

There are many reasons why one may prefer the urbanity of Philadelphia over Chicago, and vice versa.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:59 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When I visit big cities and I come back with that same realization of Baltimore. It becomes more glaring that Baltimore is doing everything completely wrong, when every other city is doing mostly everything right. As much as I love Fells Point, Fed Hill, Canton, and basically anything east of downtown and south of Monument Street and other areas of the city, with the condition of the city, and the people who inhabit it, it does feel a bit small at times. I will say, however, that I'm not even close to scratching to surface of the ethnic eateries around the city.
*south of Baltimore. Plenty Sketchy area between Monument and Baltimore. I live in one.

Upper Fells can be kinda dangerous too. Graceland and Browning Highway aint no picnic either .

Old 10-26-2020, 02:05 PM

68 posts, read 53,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
That's silly. You are entitled to think Chicago takes the cake. Yet your anecdotal evidence that, allegedly, you've "never heard anyone hype (in real life) hype up Philly the way it's done here" is kind of meaningless. I know plenty of people from outside here that love it and "hype it up." Just because it doesn't match your limited experience, doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere.

There are many reasons why one may prefer the urbanity of Philadelphia over Chicago, and vice versa.
So in other words, your anecdotal evidence is more valuable than mine. Got it.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Chi and Philly both are steals considering their tiers on nationally and world renown cities. Chicago is obviously bigger and offers far more, but Philly has great location in between DC and NYC. The other two don't belong in this comparison
OP's question is vague. Everyone isn't in a 2 person household earning $100k/year like the OP. If I'm a recent college graduate or someone earning minimum wage, Philadelphia would be ranked last for me and Pittsburgh first . Philadelphia might have has the highest % of income spent on rent, and with the extraordinarily high taxes, I'd imagine it has the lowest net DPI. Philadelphia is the worst "bang for your buck" when adjusted for COL for minimum/low earners.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:27 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
*south of Baltimore. Plenty Sketchy area between Monument and Baltimore. I live in one.

Upper Fells can be kinda dangerous too. Graceland and Browning Highway aint no picnic either .
Yea, it can be a little dangerous, but by Baltimore standards, it's not that bad. Lol

Upper Fells Point I think will be better eventually the projects are gonna be turn down eventually, and Johns Hopkins is expanding in every direction in that area. I'm starting to see yuppies living on and a few blocks slightly north of Monument Street.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:52 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I live in Pittsburgh and have a $401/month mortgage payment for a 2-BR home.

Make of that what you will, but with my fiance and I only earning ~$65,000 annually combined we live very comfortably here in the middle of the city and have access to some great urban amenities.

Can a working-class couple comfortably afford a house in those other cities?

Old 10-26-2020, 03:05 PM

153 posts, read 101,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I live in Pittsburgh and have a $401/month mortgage payment for a 2-BR home.

Make of that what you will, but with my fiance and I only earning ~$65,000 annually combined we live very comfortably here in the middle of the city and have access to some great urban amenities.

Can a working-class couple comfortably afford a house in those other cities?
That wasn't necessarily the question.

It's which city do you get the most value for. Which means, the most amenities, urbanity, public transit, entertainment, etc. for the least amount of money. And that answer is undeniably Chicago, with Philadelphia coming in second. The other two are cheaper and urban but simply can't compete with Chi/Phi in terms of amenities, scale, and other areas.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:12 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Yea, it can be a little dangerous, but by Baltimore standards, it's not that bad. Lol

Upper Fells Point I think will be better eventually the projects are gonna be turn down eventually, and Johns Hopkins is expanding in every direction in that area. I'm starting to see yuppies living on and a few blocks slightly north of Monument Street.
Close to JH though lol. Idk they’re not bad in terms of gun violence and blight but they have a lotta street robberies and BnE.

When I first moved to Baltimore on Highland/Leverton there were two homicides on my street within 6 months. Even had detectives at the door. Needless too say I moved a few blocks away from the “heat” still- a lotta open air prostitution on Conking Ave. more than I’ve seen anywhere else in the city. Tons of rats/trash. It’s vibrant, polices, functional, and communal though. Very convenient and cultural too. More than I can say for much of Bmore. For sure.

Lotta love for Bmore- I became a man here- but it’s not my hometown so I dont feel obligated to see it rise from the ashes. I’m sure you can feel that. Maybe my path will cross again with #BmoreBeautiful in the futureZ

Old 10-26-2020, 03:42 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
That wasn't necessarily the question.

It's which city do you get the most value for. Which means, the most amenities, urbanity, public transit, entertainment, etc. for the least amount of money. And that answer is undeniably Chicago, with Philadelphia coming in second. The other two are cheaper and urban but simply can't compete with Chi/Phi in terms of amenities, scale, and other areas.
Yes, but if Pittsburgh is a scaled-down Chicago at a scaled-down price point, then the real question is: "If Pittsburgh offers half the amenities and urban experiences of Chicago at less than half the price, then isn't it still a better value than Chicago?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City