Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 04:04 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Somehow this thread devolved from debating walkable, commuter friendly, fun suburbs to promoting which is the most unaffordable, family-oriented, sterile suburb with access to a park and ride. No offense to any particular suburbia intended.
In all fairness, there's a lot of subjectivity in people's preference of suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 04:13 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
In all fairness, there's a lot of subjectivity in people's preference of suburbs.
True, but the OP also listed criteria. Anyway, it's not an issue, just interesting to see.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:39 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Rank these cities in order based on their suburbs.

-Chicago
-Philadelphia
-Atlanta
-Washington D.C.
-Las Vegas
-Boston
-St. Louis
-DFW
-Houston

metrics for ranking:
-Amenities
-Diversity
-QOL
-Nigh life
-COL
-Schools
-Downtown/market square
-Natural scenery
-Outdoor recreation
-Families

I know the conversation will eventually stir this way but I would like to omit the main city as being a reason why such and such suburb is ranked high. I want to rank these cities burbs based on the burbs alone just to say how they stock up against one another. Chicago would probably win off that metric alone. So I want this list based solely on their burbs.
Going by the metrics, I'd throw these places out, Chicago: Evanston

Philadelphia: Cheltenham

Atlanta: Decatur

DC: Silver Spring

Vegas: not sure

Boston: perhaps Milton

St. Louis: University City

DFW: not sure

Houston: not sure

Old 10-31-2020, 04:55 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Using the OP’s criteria, Milton isn’t a good choice because it lacks a downtown area and it’s far below the state average for Hispanic residents.

I think Waltham meets the OP’s criteria best in general. Moody Street is very vibrant and has a good mix of shops and restaurants. Prospect Hill and the Charles provide good outdoor recreation opportunities. The schools are fine by MA standards. Though as others have mentioned, the COL there has increased a lot over the last decade.

Edit: On second thought, Malden might be even better than Waltham as it’s more diverse, a bit cheaper, and has better-ranked schools. I think Waltham is a bit better for outdoor recreation and I like the retail diversity on Moody, but DT Malden is still pretty hopping and the city has the Middlesex Fells right there.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 10-31-2020 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 11:16 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Going by the metrics, I'd throw these places out, Chicago: Evanston

Philadelphia: Cheltenham

Atlanta: Decatur

DC: Silver Spring

Vegas: not sure

St. Louis: University City

DFW: not sure

Houston: not sure
Cheltenham Township has a non-trivial Black population, largely found around the historic village of La Mott, named in honor of Quaker abolitionist Lucretia Mott and also home to the training grounds for Pennsylvania's Black Civil War regiment, Camp William Penn. Its schools are decent but taxes are high.

You might also include Ardmore, a census-designated place in Lower Merion and Haverford Townships, in this grouping. It's home to a Black community that dates to just after the Civil War, the oldest and largest such community on the Main Line. One of the seven members of the Lower Merion Township Board of Commissioners is Black; he represents the district that includes South Ardmore (the area in question).

Also, Cheltenham doesn't have a "downtown" or "town center" to speak of, while Ardmore definitely does; it's home to the Lower Merion Township municipal building, a concert venue and a popular brewery, all walkable from its Regional Rail station.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
One of the most impressive suburbs in the US is not even mentioned here. That would be Bellevue,WA. The only suburb that matches it would be Buckhead, GA but even that isn’t fair as Buckhead is in Atlanta city limits.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:17 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
One of the most impressive suburbs in the US is not even mentioned here. That would be Bellevue,WA. The only suburb that matches it would be Buckhead, GA but even that isn’t fair as Buckhead is in Atlanta city limits.
Atlantans use Buckhead at their will depending on how the story flows but Buckhead is not a suburb even though it looks like and functions like a suburbs of Atlanta.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:33 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Atlantans use Buckhead at their will depending on how the story flows but Buckhead is not a suburb even though it looks like and functions like a suburbs of Atlanta.
Bellevue is arguably not a suburb, either. It’s a city in its own right.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:40 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Bellevue is arguably not a suburb, either. It’s a city in its own right.
Bellvue is its own thing but Buckhead is in Atlanta's city borders... I know it looks like a suburb with mcmansions or an edge city of DC with the skyscrapers and parking garages but its actually within the city limits of Atlanta... remember that Atlanta is the least dense major city.

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-01-2020 at 12:58 AM..

Old 11-01-2020, 01:24 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
May I ask an inquiry? If you prefer a more tranquil life style and less tech culture then why wouldn't you move to an area that provides that on a normal day?
Because I want that lifestyle to exist here....I'm not really into moving elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City