Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 05:52 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Basically it’s really hard to compare a place like Boston and it’s toniest suburbs to Houston’s.

They’re polar opposites as far as I can tell. One is modern ultra diverse, county governed, fairly dense, extremely accessible and has abundant retail and amenities (Vegas or Houston)

the others are ancient, extremely homogenous, have virtually no meaningful/significantV commercial development or amenities, only use town governments, exurban in character, and are built around the concept of exclusivity and buying into school districts-the beat one in the US( Boston).

Not many points of comparison at all, aside from being outside of major core cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 05:55 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
1. Washington D.C
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Philadelphia
6. Chicago
7. Boston
8. St. Louis
9. Las Vegas

Old 10-29-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
1. Washington D.C
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Philadelphia
6. Chicago
7. Boston
8. St. Louis
9. Las Vegas
I don’t see a scenario where Houston can be high and Vegas can be last...why is that?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:03 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
aside from COL is there any weakness in Cambridge? It excels in every area on this list.
I meant because you said dust. Most of my buddies from MA say dust. None of my buddies from Chicago do.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:08 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
The most diverse town here is Lexingtonwhich is basically 65% white 35% Asian (MHI 1.1 Million)

the rest are virtually all 74%+ white. But mainly 80%+ pushing 90% in some cases.

Negligible diversity in Boston's gold plated suburban-style suburbs. Maybe Milton but even still that's 70% white 15% black-not that diverse

Look at the Median Home Values...not a modicum of affordability save maybe Newburyport.

For these reasons alone I'm inclined to bump Boston way down.

It's gold plated suburbs are also extremely wooded and totally lacking in Amenities and nightlife entirely. These are legitimately some of my least favorite places in the Boston Metro-personally. Boston thinks it excels in suburbia but it doesn't really because it excels in exclusion and classism from town-to-town. They simply don't allow anyone in who can't afford 2 Acres- literally. Youre just bumped down into a lower class-tier. Theres no incorporation of various cultures or income levels in any of these towns really.

The only town MA here thats 5% or more Black or Hispanic is Newton at 6% Hispanic. Andover is the blackest town at 4%. Its not diverse.
You're not wrong, but you and I have gotten into this before. That's not a Boston specific issue, though in general, Greater Boston is not as diverse as I wish it would be.

Gold plated suburbs in Chicago are the same exact way, arguably with even less diversity. Look at Chicago's North Shore, like Kenilworth and Lake Forest. Ditto Philadelphia's elite Main Line suburbs.

I don't live in any of the towns I mentioned, just referencing some of the areas suburbs that have a good combination of history, beauty, great schools, and/or oceanfront.

To me, Waltham is honestly the best combination suburb in Greater Boston.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I don’t see a scenario where Houston can be high and Vegas can be last...why is that?
Besides Henderson (which I never hear anyone rave about), I can't even think of any suburbs in Las Vegas worth a damn.

With Houston, you have arguably the best master-planned community in the country just north of the city (The Woodlands) and then places like Pearland, Katy and Sugar Land on the other side of the city, where homes are still relatively affordable despite being one of the most affluent areas in the country adjusted for relative COL.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
DC
Chicago
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Houston

St Louis

Old 10-29-2020, 06:32 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Chicago
DC
Atlanta
Dallas

Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Besides Henderson (which I never hear anyone rave about), I can't even think of any suburbs in Las Vegas worth a damn.

With Houston, you have arguably the best master-planned community in the country just north of the city (The Woodlands) and then places like Pearland, Katy and Sugar Land on the other side of the city, where homes are still relatively affordable despite being one of the most affluent areas in the country adjusted for relative COL.
Summerlin? Aliante? Centennial?

Summerlin is better than Henderson and is definitely one of the best planned communities in the country. Honestly, far northern North Las Vegas is nice too.

Both The Woodlands and Summerlin are planned by the Howard Hughes Corporation. Summerlin is just newer with better scenery.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rclco...122100352.html

HOUSTON, July 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Two award-winning master planned communities (MPCs) of The Howard Hughes Corporation® (NYSE: HHC)—Summerlin® in Las Vegas, NV, and Bridgeland® in the Greater Houston, TX area—marked the first half of 2020 by placing among the country's top ten best-selling MPCs, according to a report released by national real estate consultant RCLCO. Summerlin is ranked #4 on the list, and is the highest-ranked MPC in Nevada. At #10 on the list, Bridgeland remains the highest-ranked MPC in in Texas.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-29-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Summerlin? Aliante? Centennial?

Summerlin is better than Henderson and is definitely one of the best planned communities in the country. Honestly, far northern North Las Vegas is nice too.
I've never heard of any of those places, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City