Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Atlanta 108 52.68%
Austin 4 1.95%
Charlotte 4 1.95%
Houston 54 26.34%
Dallas 31 15.12%
San Antonio 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 09:44 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
None of that has to do with the fact that New Orleans is still more urban than all of those cities.

And I never mentioned Miami.
Where are the numbers to prove your point because right now you are just saying what you think and not what is the fact

Old 11-16-2020, 06:40 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Lol...you are obviously not including Miami Beach, which is an urban designation in its own right and only 15 minutes—not an hour—away from downtown. You also have to take into account how the City of Miami designates its boundaries—do you really think it is only the 42nd largest city when its MSA is the 7th largest in the country (based on its designation, Jacksonville is a larger city—do you honestly believe such is the case in reality)?

empty condos?—have you even stepped foot on the ground here?..no, the tourists do not all get rental cars (they’re checking out Banco do Brasil, Santander or Sabadell??) nor make up for any perceived shortage of residents—believe it or not many live here year round (fast forward from your 1950’s - 1980’s image of Miami to today). Please. Florida is the fastest growing state—you mean people are moving everywhere other than the state’s largest metro area??..If it’s “so empty” here why do high end out of state (and out of country) restaurants and exclusive high end retail boutiques (found in only a handful of other US cities—not dozens) have a presence here—to lose money that is supported only by our part time and minimum wage resident cabana boy and restaurant workers population (Spanish only speaking at that??) and tourists who only visit here 2 months of the year because the remaining 10 months are uninhabitable or unbearable?...lol, c'mon man--plenty of "urbanity" here, which is why I walk 5+ miles/day and drive less than 4K miles/year living in Brickell with lots of other nearby options (and I'm an easily bored, type A, ex-NY'er).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
If you want to be factual Miami doesn't really have much of an urban population compared to other cities. From the ground it looks like it does but thats because its alot of hotels and empty condos that people live in during the winter. Traffic is bad because it is a big tourist destination.

Central city population

Miami around 400k
Dallas around 1.2 million
Houston around 2.1 mill
Atlanta around 450k
Charlotte is around 750k
And Jacksonville is over 800k

These are just the central city population again.

These cities have more people in their downtowns the almost the whole city of New Orleans so I dont know where you getting yoy information from.

And o yea new Orleans city center is around 12k people

Last edited by elchevere; 11-16-2020 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2020, 08:02 AM

140 posts, read 141,134 times
Quote:
No i was talking about the actual city core but I get what you are saying and new Orleans is no where near the top and Miami is not as big as it seems
That sounds like a Trumpisum. The urban core is more than the 10 or 15 blocks around the downtown area. In some cities the urban core continues that's why the higher populations and density. Getting beat two to one in core population and still talking about downtown and surrounding neighborhoods smh.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:22 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Dallas runs into very urban suburbs specifically Richardson, Plano and Frisco, Addison and Irving and light rail connects half of them. I'm going to say its the winner. Also the stretch of I-75 east of downtown is dense with skyscrapers and heavy development for like 20 miles north into Plano same with the Tollway all the way to Frisco which is like 25 miles at least. Houston nor Atlanta run continuously dense for as long.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Lol...you are obviously not including Miami Beach, which is an urban designation in its own right and only 15 minutes—not an hour—away from downtown.

I live on the NW corner South Beach, and my daily walk for exercise is across the Venetian Causeway to the north side of downtown Miami and back each day. It's not even an hour away by foot!

c'mon man--plenty of "urbanity" here, which is why I walk 5+ miles/day and drive less than 4K miles/year living in Brickell with lots of other nearby options (and I'm an easily bored, type A, ex-NY'er).
This sounds a lot like me. I walk 5+ miles a day, including most of my daily errands. I grocery shop with one of those rolling grocery bags so that I don't have to drive to the store, and my 2017 car has only 12K miles on it, and a lot of those miles are highway miles for long trips. I can go months without putting gas in my car for daily living.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:39 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Where are the numbers to prove your point because right now you are just saying what you think and not what is the fact
How do you want me to measure the structural density and built environment in New Orleans? Have you ever been to New Orleans? Have you ever been to Houston?
New Orleans has virtually no suburban development in the city limits outside of New Orleans East. The southshore of Lake Pontchartrain (the vast majority of New Orleans metro area) is all grid layouts like Miami. There are no subdivisions, winding roads, or exclusionary MPC's the size of small towns. The Northshore is the only place with significant suburban development similar to other parts of the sunbelt and its population is low compared to the southshore. The only place in the sunbelt that compares to that is Miami.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:55 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Great minds think alike...and even many tourists who stay on South Beach can definitely get by without needing a rental car for the majority or entirety of their trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This sounds a lot like me. I walk 5+ miles a day, including most of my daily errands. I grocery shop with one of those rolling grocery bags so that I don't have to drive to the store, and my 2017 car has only 12K miles on it, and a lot of those miles are highway miles for long trips. I can go months without putting gas in my car for daily living.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:00 PM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Great minds think alike...and even many tourists who stay on South Beach can definitely get by without needing a rental car for the majority or entirety of their trip.
If money were not an issue, I'd live in Brickell or Miami Beach over any place in the Southern US for "urbanity." No question. One thing that it has over other urban sections of major Southern cities, is a large abundance of retail across the board. Atlanta has that with Atlantic Station, but it doesn't feel as connected to Midtown as Brickell does to its adjacent neighborhoods.

Even the bridge to Miami Beach has bike lanes and wide sidewalks.

Miami has a way to go still, but it is by far the most urban there is in the South.

Once they fix this: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7662...7i16384!8i8192

I will be less critical of it.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:05 PM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
The bridges from Miami Beach to downtown areas aren't half bad without a car either:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7906...7i16384!8i8192

Old 11-16-2020, 02:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The bridges from Miami Beach to downtown areas aren't half bad without a car either:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7906...7i16384!8i8192
The Venetian Causeway is packed with walkers, runners, rollerbladers, and cyclists on a daily basis. Covid has only made it more busy. Miami also has a very robust bike share program and a growing amount of bike lanes. I often use bike share to go to Midtown Miami from Miami Beach, especially in the Winter when one won't arrive drenched from sweat, or soaked from rain!
Here's the bike station on the easternmost island on the Venetian Causeway.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7913...7i16384!8i8192
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City