Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Atlanta 108 52.68%
Austin 4 1.95%
Charlotte 4 1.95%
Houston 54 26.34%
Dallas 31 15.12%
San Antonio 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 04:49 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
More than Atlanta? Yes. More than Houston? That's a stretch. Of these 3 cities, Houston is the most defined by its neighborhoods.

From Downtown/Midtown, you go West to Montrose then Upper Kirby, River Oaks, and on to Uptown. Or you go south to the Museum District then on to Texas Medical Center. Let alone the Heights, EaDo and Third Ward. Didn't even mention the Buffalo Bayou. All of these have entirely different feels from one another. From my experience, Dallas' neighborhoods are more unique from each other than Atlanta, but less than Houston.

If we are using "defined by neighorhoods" as the criteria, the rankings would be: Houston (gap), Dallas (big gap), Atlanta. But we aren't. We are doing most urban cores, and I listed that one above.
There’s spots where you can literally walk from Uptown to Knox District, to Turtle Creek to Oak Lawn within a matter of steps. lol

Old 11-20-2020, 04:56 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nobody in their right mind that has experience with Houston would consider Uptown as part of Houston’s core.
That one is a tricky pony. Uptown was originally designed as a suburban business district (like Plano and the Woodlands currently are, but the city later caught up with it. As a result, it doesn't have the continuation of street level activity that the other areas have. Nor does it have the city grid system that you get even right across the other side of 610. But it has turned into a high-rise and finance cluster in addition to being home to the Galleria which is an icon in itself along with waterfall park and memorial park. I personally wouldn't be mad either way someone would describe it. At this point it depends on the criteria.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
There’s spots where you can literally walk from Uptown to Knox District, to Turtle Creek to Oak Lawn within a matter of steps. lol
Nice

Old 11-20-2020, 05:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That one is a tricky pony. Uptown was originally designed as a suburban business district (like Plano and the Woodlands currently are, but the city later caught up with it. As a result, it doesn't have the continuation of street level activity that the other areas have. Nor does it have the city grid system that you get even right across the other side of 610. But it has turned into a high-rise and finance cluster in addition to being home to the Galleria which is an icon in itself along with waterfall park and memorial park. I personally wouldn't be mad either way someone would describe it. At this point it depends on the criteria.
Honestly, if one was to say uptown is inside the core, than Houston has the largest core in the South then. I’d consider TMC or even Greenway Plaza more of Houston’s core than Uptown and even those are debatable. But yes, Uptown is pretty much an edge city. Not much different from Century City to LA or Rosslyn to DC.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Honestly, if one was to say uptown is inside the core, than Houston has the largest core in the South then. I’d consider TMC or even Greenway Plaza more of Houston’s core than Uptown and even those are debatable. But yes, Uptown is pretty much an edge city. Not much different from Century City to LA or Rosslyn to DC.
I 100% consider TMC in the core. Don’t see what about TMC would be away from the core. Greenway is debatable though sure. These days, Greenway/Upper Kirby is a continuation of Uptown along with River Oaks District and Highland Village

Old 11-20-2020, 05:50 PM

140 posts, read 141,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
That's debatable, here's a video of driving from the middle of downtown Atlanta to Buckhead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x6uUfR_WFU

The Peachtree Road route is more urban while the Northside Drive route goes through Atlantic Station, West Midtown (where a lot of development is happening - Microsoft) and has a lot more mansions.
Nice video as many times that I have been to Atlanta I have never took the street way from downtown to Lenox mall. There is definitely great linear areas going up peachtree to Buckhead. I guess in Dallas you would describe it as fanning out in most all directions from downtown then traveling up the expressways instead of along a street. There is really no main Street that goes any distance leaving downtown.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Well as an example there is over 25 million square feet of office space in Irving Texas. Oh and Buckhead is not a suburb...
I'm aware of that, I live here. Buckhead is its own sub-market though. Peremiter Center in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs has more sq footage than Irving - as well as the tallest suburban buildings in the U.S.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Are you certain about this? Please provide the office square footage of these largest hubs you speak of. We have them as well, this isn't Waco we're talking about here.
See the link below. Dallas is only just behind DC for the most suburban office space.

Atlanta didn't even make the top 5:

https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/...-office-space/

Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
See the link below. Dallas is only just behind DC for the most suburban office space.

Atlanta didn't even make the top 5:

https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/...-office-space/
Not a stat to necessarily be proud of, in my opinion. The poster I responded to was just a little over the top in boasting that ALL suburban sub-markets in DFW have more office space than any of Atlanta's. It's clear they have no idea of what they were talking about, and needed to be checked.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:41 AM

222 posts, read 281,887 times
People on this site just talk about places they've never been to. Dfw as a whole is more urban than any metro on this list by a decent margin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City