Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Atlanta 108 52.68%
Austin 4 1.95%
Charlotte 4 1.95%
Houston 54 26.34%
Dallas 31 15.12%
San Antonio 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 06:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I did not bring up the Katy trail. The last page or two are based as a vs.
You quoted me then said you disagree about two trails I didn't bring up so you totally lost me.have no idea what you are taking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
The whole Beltline development is screaming DFW.
Lol its screaming every city. And not just Texas, although Austin abs and San Antonio does have their own projects in and out the respective cities. Heck they are planning a hiking trail between Downtown SA and Austin that would parallel 35 and may incorporate rail in the future (sounds familiar Atlanta?).

There are wonderful projects in Florida.
Louisiana has some really nice urban trails and are planning loss more.
In fact the Mississippi River Trail may connect New Orleans to MSP.

Not to diminish the Beltline, I keep saying is a wonderful project, but in form it is no different from existing or future projects around the country. It's execution when done may be unique but the plans are not

Old 01-08-2021, 06:39 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You quoted me then said you disagree about two trails I didn't bring up so you totally lost me.have no idea what you are taking about
No... I quoted R1070 and said I disagreed. I quoted you about your claim of the Beltine.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:59 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
We can play the distance game.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.1613...7i16384!8i8192

28.2 MILES FROM DOWNTOWN HOUSTON! (You can't even see that distance!)
VS 22.6 miles To Alpharetta.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:04 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No... I quoted R1070 and said I disagreed. I quoted you about your claim of the Beltine.
Where you lost me was when you said it goes above what the Katy trail or Buffalo bayou trail connects. I never mentioned those trails so i had no idea what you are taking about.

If I was mentioning Houston Buffalo Bayou trail would not be what I would highlight.
The Whole City is covered by trails. In far excess of what Atlanta or DFW connects.
Houston Bayous criss cross the city and are progressively being linked by trails. Besides that you have dedicated grade separated trails on former rail tracks like the Columbia Tap trail that connects downtown/ the Green Purple rail line and BBVA stadium with The Brays Bayou trail which aldo connects with the purple line on one end, through to the Red Line and then on to South west Houston.

I think you underestimate the vastness of Houston trails.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...32rLk4C2dbzBRQ

The green ones are independent trails, the blue ones are not trails just dedicated bike lanes.

But anyway, Houston and Dallas was not what I had in mind when I was referring to the Beltline. They have different missions

Old 01-08-2021, 07:05 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Just to clarify what I wrote a few months ago. I wasn't comparing Alief to suburban Atlanta. I was saying the entire Atlanta doesn't even have an area like Alief, yet alone one at that distance from Downtown regardless of whether it's a suburb or not. Alief being a poorer "Apartment" Neighborhood, which while not urban in a walkable sense, is urban in a crawling with people/ you can't mistake it for anywhere else but the city sense. Atlanta+North Atlanta burbs is comparable to Dallas and Houston. Cobb and the rest of suburban Atlanta (excluding a few parts of DeKalb and Gwinnett is iffy a bit), but the rest of it is basically if the developers of Magnolia/Lake Conroe decided to develop the area. From a Houston perspective, it's as if the only neighborhoods allowed are Acreage lots.

It's stunningly beautiful, but takes away from urbanity in any sense of the world. Basic suburbia is more urban than that.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Okay then tell me if I’m walking on the Beltline what can I do that I cannot do if I’m walking on the Katy Trail?
Here we go.
You leave your apartment that's directly on the trail at 12:00 PM for an afternoon walk. Grab some lunch at Shake Shack and you're on your way.Your fade hasn't been straightened in weeks though, so you make a quick stop at a barbershop directly on the trail.Now that you're hairline is on point, you decide it's a great day for a bike ride. Thankfully, you can rent a bike directly on the trail.You see a packed porch and loud music playing at the ladybird so you decide to go in. You grab a drink and talk to this beautiful person next to you. You hit it off and exchange numbers. Y'all will meet up later but it's time to get back on the trail that's directly next to you. You bike all the way to Piedmont Park and chill for a few hours but it's time for your date. You and your new friend go to the roof of PCM directly on the trail. You drink, play miniature golf, and get on some rides. You've had a great evening but it's time to go. Now that you're going home, you stop to get some groceries to take home. Thankfully, there's a full-scale grocery store directly on the trail that you can stop at to do this.

Katy Trail simply doesn't operate like this. All of these things can be done without leaving the Beltline corridor at all. You don't have to take a single street to do any of this and you can go back home without ever leaving the trail at all.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:23 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.1613...7i16384!8i8192

28.2 MILES FROM DOWNTOWN HOUSTON! (You can't even see that distance!)
VS 22.6 miles To Alpharetta.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5247...7i13312!8i6656

33 miles. Fulton County. While being just a pocket of urbanity it's still more walkable.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3743...7i13312!8i6656

38 miles at the absolute edge of Atlanta's metro. Still more walkable.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:24 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Just to clarify what I wrote a few months ago. I wasn't comparing Alief to suburban Atlanta. I was saying the entire Atlanta doesn't even have an area like Alief, yet alone one at that distance from Downtown regardless of whether it's a suburb or not. Alief being a poorer "Apartment" Neighborhood, which while not urban in a walkable sense, is urban in a crawling with people/ you can't mistake it for anywhere else but the city sense. Atlanta+North Atlanta burbs is comparable to Dallas and Houston. Cobb and the rest of suburban Atlanta (excluding a few parts of DeKalb and Gwinnett is iffy a bit), but the rest of it is basically if the developers of Magnolia/Lake Conroe decided to develop the area. From a Houston perspective, it's as if the only neighborhoods allowed are Acreage lots.

It's stunningly beautiful, but takes away from urbanity in any sense of the world. Basic suburbia is more urban than that.
Do you consider Little Saigon as part of Alief? This has been subject for debate for a while now.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Here we go.
You leave your apartment that's directly on the trail at 12:00 PM for an afternoon walk. Grab some lunch at Shake Shack and you're on your way.Your fade hasn't been straightened in weeks though, so you make a quick stop at a barbershop directly on the trail.Now that you're hairline is on point, you decide it's a great day for a bike ride. Thankfully, you can rent a bike directly on the trail.You see a packed porch and loud music playing at the ladybird so you decide to go in. You grab a drink and talk to this beautiful person next to you. You hit it off and exchange numbers. Y'all will meet up later but it's time to get back on the trail that's directly next to you. You bike all the way to Piedmont Park and chill for a few hours but it's time for your date. You and your new friend go to the roof of PCM directly on the trail. You drink, play miniature golf, and get on some rides. You've had a great evening but it's time to go. Now that you're going home, you stop to get some groceries to take home. Thankfully, there's a full-scale grocery store directly on the trail that you can stop at to do this.

Katy Trail simply doesn't operate like this. All of these things can be done without leaving the Beltline corridor at all. You don't have to take a single street to do any of this and you can go back home without ever leaving the trail at all.
I get that, but there’s lots of apartments and condos that open right onto the trail. The Turtle Creek side of the trail is pretty much all parks, there’s a few restaurants right on the trail, but you can directly access Victory Park, Knox District, Mockingbird Station and SMU East Campus. West Village is a block off of the trail. It’s all walkable and easily accessible. Zoning in place really limits the size and types of developments right along the trail to maintain its character. There will never be a ton of retail right up against the trail, but you can easily grab lunch, drinks, shopping and even a Mavs/Stars game or concert right on the trail.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
The whole Atlanta Beltline development is screaming DFW.
It’s really not different from what you do see around Dallas, but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City