Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Atlanta 108 52.68%
Austin 4 1.95%
Charlotte 4 1.95%
Houston 54 26.34%
Dallas 31 15.12%
San Antonio 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 08:19 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Where you lost me was when you said it goes above what the Katy trail or Buffalo bayou trail connects. I never mentioned those trails so i had no idea what you are taking about.

If I was mentioning Houston Buffalo Bayou trail would not be what I would highlight.
The Whole City is covered by trails. In far excess of what Atlanta or DFW connects.
Houston Bayous criss cross the city and are progressively being linked by trails. Besides that you have dedicated grade separated trails on former rail tracks like the Columbia Tap trail that connects downtown/ the Green Purple rail line and BBVA stadium with The Brays Bayou trail which aldo connects with the purple line on one end, through to the Red Line and then on to South west Houston.

I think you underestimate the vastness of Houston trails.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...32rLk4C2dbzBRQ

The green ones are independent trails, the blue ones are not trails just dedicated bike lanes.

But anyway, Houston and Dallas was not what I had in mind when I was referring to the Beltline. They have different missions
Your name doesn’t appear on that quote. That was to another user

Old 01-08-2021, 11:56 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5247...7i13312!8i6656

33 miles. Fulton County. While being just a pocket of urbanity it's still more walkable.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3743...7i13312!8i6656

38 miles at the absolute edge of Atlanta's metro. Still more walkable.
I agree Atlanta has more urbanized downtowns/ city centers in their suburbs than Houston and DFW but Houston and DFW has a lot more density in between the city core and their burbs.

Like driving from Atlanta to Newnan or Palmetto on I-85 is different than driving on I-45 from Houston to Conroe. I've made that drive down 85 South from Atlanta plenty of times and it's a lot of forestry in between that drive. First time I drove to places like Newnan or Mcdonough I was thinking to myself "Wait a min how am I still in the Atlanta metro area?" Coming from Texas sprawling metro I was taken a back by Atlanta's sprawl. Because it's either heavy forestry or rural like communities in between the city and the "burbs" depending on what part of the MSA your in. Whereas Houston and DFW MSA it's heavy density North,South, East, and West of these cities core. More so in Houston than in DFW.

Atlanta's consistent dense sprawl is more so in the North burbs. You take 85 N / 75 N/ 400 N you see that heavy dense sprawl that's more similar to Houston and DFW. East/West and South of the MSA it's just pockets of burbs with some nice modern looking walkable downtowns.

Now I will say areas like Chamblee/ Brookhaven/ Sandy Springs/ Dunwoody/Smyrna/ Decatur are more urban than any areas outside of Houston's core. Cause even though Houston is more dense than Atlanta as far as MSA's go it's still built somewhat suburban like.

I think some of DFW burbs are closer to Atlanta's urbanized suburbs. Just my take.

And man are we talking about the Beltline vs. Katy Trail subject again? There is nothing like the Beltline in DFW or Houston.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:59 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I
And man are we talking about the Beltline vs. Katy Trail subject again? There is nothing like the Beltline in DFW or Houston.
Exactly. I don’t know why the Dallasitws in this thread find it hard to believe that the Beltline is doing d something you can’t find in Texas. “The Beltline screams DFW”. Last time I checked, it screams Atlanta. Craziness. DFW has it edges over Atlanta of course. The Beltline isn’t one of them.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:02 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I get that, but there’s lots of apartments and condos that open right onto the trail. The Turtle Creek side of the trail is pretty much all parks, there’s a few restaurants right on the trail, but you can directly access Victory Park, Knox District, Mockingbird Station and SMU East Campus. West Village is a block off of the trail. It’s all walkable and easily accessible. Zoning in place really limits the size and types of developments right along the trail to maintain its character. There will never be a ton of retail right up against the trail, but you can easily grab lunch, drinks, shopping and even a Mavs/Stars game or concert right on the trail.
But, but, but....
Exactly as I predicted.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:04 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I get that, but there’s lots of apartments and condos that open right onto the trail. The Turtle Creek side of the trail is pretty much all parks, there’s a few restaurants right on the trail, but you can directly access Victory Park, Knox District, Mockingbird Station and SMU East Campus. West Village is a block off of the trail. It’s all walkable and easily accessible. Zoning in place really limits the size and types of developments right along the trail to maintain its character. There will never be a ton of retail right up against the trail, but you can easily grab lunch, drinks, shopping and even a Mavs/Stars game or concert right on the trail.
So you admit that the two trails aren’t the same? Because if you have to leave the trail to visit the attractions you want to go to, the trail itself isn’t a destination. The Beltline is not just a transportation corridor or recreation trail, it’s a destination in and of itself.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:37 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
I agree Atlanta has more urbanized downtowns/ city centers in their suburbs than Houston and DFW but Houston and DFW has a lot more density in between the city core and their burbs.

Like driving from Atlanta to Newnan or Palmetto on I-85 is different than driving on I-45 from Houston to Conroe. I've made that drive down 85 South from Atlanta plenty of times and it's a lot of forestry in between that drive. First time I drove to places like Newnan or Mcdonough I was thinking to myself "Wait a min how am I still in the Atlanta metro area?" Coming from Texas sprawling metro I was taken a back by Atlanta's sprawl. Because it's either heavy forestry or rural like communities in between the city and the "burbs" depending on what part of the MSA your in. Whereas Houston and DFW MSA it's heavy density North,South, East, and West of these cities core. More so in Houston than in DFW.

Atlanta's consistent dense sprawl is more so in the North burbs. You take 85 N / 75 N/ 400 N you see that heavy dense sprawl that's more similar to Houston and DFW. East/West and South of the MSA it's just pockets of burbs with some nice modern looking walkable downtowns.

Now I will say areas like Chamblee/ Brookhaven/ Sandy Springs/ Dunwoody/Smyrna/ Decatur are more urban than any areas outside of Houston's core. Cause even though Houston is more dense than Atlanta as far as MSA's go it's still built somewhat suburban like.

I think some of DFW burbs are closer to Atlanta's urbanized suburbs. Just my take.

This is why I constantly say that density is not urbanity. I can understand why some would be confused when I show them two neighborhoods (This vs This) and say that the latter is better because of its build form. I don't care about density in Houston when those same people with smaller yards and lot sizes get in their car just like suburban Atlantans and drive to the same kinds of office parks and strip malls. At least most Atlantans have pockets of walkability near them that are better blueprints for future development and transit connectivity even if they have to drive to them in the present. Even if the people in the second streetview live in a more rural and less dense community, they can leave their house in the morning and walk to a cafe for breakfast. The citizens in nearby South Fulton with larger lot sizes can drive in, walk around, and still enjoy nature. And if they want to visit the city, they are still just miles from a more urban and walkable core than either Dallas or Houston. That's a lot more functional than a dense subdivision surrounded by more dense subdivisions.

Last edited by demonta4; 01-09-2021 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Added details, and fixed grammer.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:11 AM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

33 miles. Fulton County. While being just a pocket of urbanity it's still more walkable.

38 miles at the absolute edge of Atlanta's metro. Still more walkable.
First one is only 25.6 miles straight-line.

This picture in Galveston is 46.6 miles away from downtown!
Try, try to beat 46.6!

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3048...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
First one is only 25.6 miles straight-line.

This picture in Galveston is 46.6 miles away from downtown!
Try, try to beat 46.6!

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3048...7i13312!8i6656
Do you mean to claim that it's solidly built up all the way to Galveston, with zero gaps?

Old 01-09-2021, 09:26 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Atlanta

Dallas
Austin
Charlotte

San Antonio

Il abstain from putting Houston on to prevent the backlash I would get.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:31 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:

What Atlanta suburbs are more “urbanized” than the DFW ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City