Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Atlanta 108 52.68%
Austin 4 1.95%
Charlotte 4 1.95%
Houston 54 26.34%
Dallas 31 15.12%
San Antonio 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 06:50 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

I want some of your drugs, please.
Go to the far south tip of midtown while they’re still there. You don’t even need to bring your car since it’s so walkable. Better hurry before they finish gentrifying it up.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Disagree. Uptown Dallas is adjacent to Downtown Dallas. It was separated by the freeway just like Midtown and Downtown Houston. Both setups are not much different from each other and it’s every bit of an extension as the other. Uptown Dallas simply just got a head start even though both began redevelopment at the same time. Dallas was more aggressive while Houston was just piecing Midtown out.
I dunno what he is talking about, I walked through downtown /midtown Houston last spring and not only did Downtown and midtown feel totally distinct, it felt like there was a distinct area in between the 2.

Heading south I would say once you get a couple blocks south of Main Street Square the feel changes.
I am not sure if it's new residential towers but the vibe is definitely different. The you cross under 45 and there's all these restaurants and Bars and you get a different feel there too. You go further south and east and you run into all these mid century midrises and the feel changes again. By the time you get to the ION area downtown is a distant memory.

I'm not sure what he is talking about, but I agree with your point about Laneways.
Get more integrated projects like that on Midtown's grid and you have a really nice neighborhood.

I don't think that poster realizes the Post MIDTOWN area is part of midtown. The area had lots of foot traffic before Covid because of all the bars and restaurants in the area.

The area around the new whole foods is night and day from how I remember it from 10 years ago and I am sure that is just the beginning.

I don't see Midtown as an extension of downtown at all. In fact it feels more like the southern part of downtown is more of an extention of midtown and midtown flavor than the other way around.
I think of East Downtown more of an extention of downtown Houston and I think it will feel even more so once they trench and cap that freeway.

Midtown Houston could do with more trees though. Downtown Houston projects incorporate lots of landscaping but midtown needs more greenery.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:56 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
^^i was also going to say east downtown is more of an extension of downtown more than midtown. Post midtown area feels nothing like downtown to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The thing is, being seen as an “extension of Downtown” isn’t necessarily a bad thing. As long as what it is is nice, it’s not doing any harm. Considering the Ion / Rice Innovation District is owned by a school, the city would have to buy and gift it land. Which is possible, but currently it a 16 acre property. Even if they had the ability to roll out into upper Midtown, they wouldn’t want to because they like the uniqueness of it to separate it from the other residential/recreational side of Midtown. If anything, RID will be a border type development because everything south of it is heavily academic (TMC/Herman Park/Museum District/Rice), while everything north of it is more office/corporate related. RID is sort of a mix of the two.

Midtown has tremendous potential, I just don’t see it being able to be a distinctive neighborhood the way Uptown Dallas is because of the lack of a strong central development. But I don’t see it being a bad thing either. It makes the overall “downtown area” nicer.

Anyway, my reference point was Midtown being as walkable as Uptown Dallas, not better because it’s not and never will be. There’s other nicer neighborhoods than Midtown to enjoy in Houston.
Yeah see. I disagree with that. I think Midtown has already established itself as a separate neighborhood and will continue that way as both develop. That’s the best thing.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:04 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^i was also going to say east downtown is more of an extension of downtown more than midtown. Post midtown area feels nothing like downtown to me.

Yeah see. I disagree with that. I think Midtown has already established itself as a separate neighborhood and will continue that way as both develop. That’s the best thing.
I agree.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:09 PM

I guess if you zip through on a car on the highway you would see the towers lining the area and think it's one thing. But take a walk down the streets and the areas are very distinct.

Just don't walk down Main. That area had more drug addicts than pigeons the last time I was there.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:13 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've been with people saying "we're headed downtown" for bars/food or whatever and we end up in Midtown. Perhaps Uptown Dallas gets this too, but not living in Dallas, I don't see it as much. Could be alone in this but Uptown Dallas has a distinctive feel from the adjacent Downtown that Midtown doesn't and won't reach with Laneways, Rice Innovation District, etc roll out.

Now, I do agree that Post Midtown is completely isolated from Downtown, but that's a few blocks and a very tiny portion of Midtown. Infact, in some ways, it even catches modern 4th Ward vibes.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I guess if you zip through on a car on the highway you would see the towers lining the area and think it's one thing. But take a walk down the streets and the areas are very distinct.

Just don't walk down Main. That area had more drug addicts than pigeons the last time I was there.
In a bittersweet fashion, they're slowly but steadily kicking them out. But from what I'm noticing (I live near this area), they're starting to trend going south on Almeda.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've been with people saying "we're headed downtown" for bars/food or whatever and we end up in Midtown. Perhaps Uptown Dallas gets this too, but not living in Dallas, I don't see it as much. Could be alone in this but Uptown Dallas has a distinctive feel from the adjacent Downtown that Midtown doesn't and won't reach with Laneways, Rice Innovation District, etc roll out.

Now, I do agree that Post Midtown is completely isolated from Downtown, but that's a few blocks and a very tiny portion of Midtown. Infact, in some ways, it even catches modern 4th Ward vibes.
That's not something unique.
Just about every city I've been in people refer to the areas adjacent to downtown as downtown.

I have even heard people say inside the loop is downtown.

Yeah, the homeless population just drifts from area to area.
Happens in every city. Hopefully they won't be as noticeable as midtown develops more density

Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That's not something unique.
Just about every city I've been in people refer to the areas adjacent to downtown as downtown.

I have even heard people say inside the loop is downtown
The latter I haven't heard. Tho I have heard outsiders think they're in Downtown while in Uptown. But that's more understandable.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
The latter I haven't heard. Tho I have heard outsiders think they're in Downtown while in Uptown. But that's more understandable.
Yes they do that in Dallas. I’ve been with people saying they are going to downtown and we ended up at Victory Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City