Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Atlanta 108 52.68%
Austin 4 1.95%
Charlotte 4 1.95%
Houston 54 26.34%
Dallas 31 15.12%
San Antonio 4 1.95%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 05:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
New Orleans isn't even that big. (1.3 million metro) How is it so urban?
Show me some pictures!

Are you serious? Have you never seen pictures (I assume you haven’t been) of New Orleans???

I get that things are subjective but I don’t think a question of New Orleans being urban is a matter of opinion....

Old 01-30-2021, 09:05 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Are you serious? Have you never seen pictures (I assume you haven’t been) of New Orleans???

I get that things are subjective but I don’t think a question of New Orleans being urban is a matter of opinion....
Yeah, New Orleans is very urban. So many here don’t scale urbanity to the size of the metro and so many others don’t consider build form. It’s like only density and population numbers matter on this forum.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:45 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Yeah, New Orleans is very urban. So many here don’t scale urbanity to the size of the metro and so many others don’t consider build form. It’s like only density and population numbers matter on this forum.
Its one of the few southern metros where you get there, park somewhere and don't bother with the car until it's time to leave.
All the other cities discussed here would require you to move that vehicle multiple times a day.

The built form in the core neighborhoods are compact enough to walk to restaurants, bars, your job, grocery stores, clothing, parks or you can hop on a trolley to another walkable area or to the Zoo or hop on a ferry across the river.

He may think the urban area is small but it probably has the biggest continuously urban form in the south.

Miami has a lot of buildings but the urban form is not all that impressive.
Houston and Dallas their urban form isn't all that conduisive to walking.
Atlanta has pockets of good urban form but the are islands/ not really extensive or connected.

I know I'm going to get a lot of replies saying that the visited such and such a place and didn't have a car, you don't absolutely need a car anywhere, but to do more than spending half your time traveling, you do need a car in almost all these places.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:36 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

New Orleans is densely packed in downtown, but where are the businesses and high rises outside of downtown?? It's mostly houses.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
New Orleans is densely packed in downtown, but where are the businesses and high rises outside of downtown?? It's mostly houses.
That's not what urban means. Businesses exist in all of New Orleans' urban neighborhoods. Some of them are on the corners and others are situated on retail corridors like Freret St, Oak St., O.C. Haley Blvd, Magazine St, Maple St, St Claude Ave, Harrison Ave, etc.

Skyscrapers don't exist because New Orleans is an actual urban city built before the skyscraper and fully built out before cars were invented. They only exist in the modern CBD. Other areas are far too old for that.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Its one of the few southern metros where you get there, park somewhere and don't bother with the car until it's time to leave.
All the other cities discussed here would require you to move that vehicle multiple times a day.

The built form in the core neighborhoods are compact enough to walk to restaurants, bars, your job, grocery stores, clothing, parks or you can hop on a trolley to another walkable area or to the Zoo or hop on a ferry across the river.

He may think the urban area is small but it probably has the biggest continuously urban form in the south.

Miami has a lot of buildings but the urban form is not all that impressive.
Houston and Dallas their urban form isn't all that conduisive to walking.
Atlanta has pockets of good urban form but the are islands/ not really extensive or connected.

I know I'm going to get a lot of replies saying that the visited such and such a place and didn't have a car, you don't absolutely need a car anywhere, but to do more than spending half your time traveling, you do need a car in almost all these places.
I feel like we should compare how urban the cities are to others of their size. Trying to rope them all together is hard because they all serve different functions. New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah are in a different league urbanity wise but it’s largely because they’re so small compared to cities like Atlanta that lost much of its urbanity to white flight and the rise of the automobile.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:49 AM

156 posts, read 174,391 times
I'm wondering if the people up-voting Atlanta have actually been there. Atlanta is a very green metro. If you drive the entire metro area, north to south, on the 75, you'll see a lot of trees, not development. There is a few breaks when you pass through the Buckhead skyline and of course downtown Atlanta...but other than that, there's not nearly the amount of continuous visible development that you see in Dallas or Houston.

Dallas and Houston, easily... They're the only ones that come close to the constant visible and built up environment of the Miami metro area.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:37 AM

313 posts, read 218,278 times
Quote:
That's not what urbanity is...

Do you think Brooklyn and Queens are not urban outside of LIC and Downtown Brooklyn?

Old 02-01-2021, 06:32 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
A lot of the city is densely packed.
And downtown doesn't really have Towers.
The towers surround downtown.
The Canal Corridor, The CBD, Warehouse and medical districts are where the towers are.
There are a few midrises in Mid Cities, but downtown new Orleans was built and already being protected by the time of skyscrapers

Old 02-01-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
I'm wondering if the people up-voting Atlanta have actually been there. Atlanta is a very green metro. If you drive the entire metro area, north to south, on the 75, you'll see a lot of trees, not development. There is a few breaks when you pass through the Buckhead skyline and of course downtown Atlanta...but other than that, there's not nearly the amount of continuous visible development that you see in Dallas or Houston.

Dallas and Houston, easily... They're the only ones that come close to the constant visible and built up environment of the Miami metro area.
Why do people keep bringing up trees as if you can’t build under them. I don’t think you’ve ever been to Atlanta with that kind of analysis. Driving the freeway has nothing to do with the build form of the actual city. It’d be like saying DC isn’t urban because of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City