Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 07:48 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles (because like everything..)
Boston (coastal new england, cambridge and somerville)
New York City (mostly cause of Jersey)
Washington DC (slightly below nyc because nova)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 07:51 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Los Angeles (because like everything..)
Boston (coastal new england, cambridge and somerville)
New York City (mostly cause of Jersey)
Washington DC (slightly below nyc because nova)
West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach just entered the conversation

Old 08-01-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach just entered the conversation
I dont really care for Florida. They would definitely offer a lot but wouldnt be a top 5 of mine. But I could 100% see how it would be a top 3 on most people’s lists

I literally forgot one lol
i would add San Francisco because everything in the Bay Area

Top 5 of large metros:
1. Los Angeles

2. Boston
3. New York
4. DC
5. San Francisco

Honorable Mentions: Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham

Old 08-01-2021, 08:19 AM

17,170 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Maybe a bit biased because I live here, but Tampa Bay deserves a nod… Tampa itself isn’t all that great, but Pinellas County as a whole is wonderful.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:22 AM

409 posts, read 333,895 times
Top 5 (imo)

#1 LA- You still got the beach cities and all of those interesting port cities and the gateway cities too along with the San Gabriel Valley along with the Ventura county beach cities.

#2 Boston- Cambridge, Somerville, and all of the other interesting little towns and cities would still interest me.

#3 Detroit- It would be a lot more healthier economically. Maybe more boring or not as interesting if you removed Detroit though. Tbh, I don't think Detroit offers much for it's own metro. Maybe occasional culture and downtown jobs but apart from that, it's like meh. Idk though.

#4 DC- You lose a lot of the energy and culture which comes out of the city. But you get out out of it, a more diversified economy along with more reasonable housing costs. Plus the suburbs have interesting developments. Cost is why I put it below the Detroit metro.

#5 NYC- You've still got NNJ/Westchester which still appeals to me. Long island, not so much. But overall, a bit too expensive which is why I put it below DC and some of the industrialized parts are a bit of an eyesore to me.

Honorable mention: Chicago (A lot of beautiful lakeside, exclusive North Shore suburbs, Semi- rural suburbs on the Western part of the metro like St. Clair and some good working class to middle class African American suburbs in the South Suburbs too).

Last edited by MDfinest; 08-01-2021 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-01-2021, 08:23 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
I’ve seen Houston mentioned but I’d say we are very low on this list. Sure we have the Woodlands and Galveston and Kemah Boardwalk. Lake Conroe gets some points. And some nice suburbs (but they’re literally just suburbs). Most of what H Town has to offer can be found in the city limits.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:42 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ve seen Houston mentioned but I’d say we are very low on this list. Sure we have the Woodlands and Galveston and Kemah Boardwalk. Lake Conroe gets some points. And some nice suburbs (but they’re literally just suburbs). Most of what H Town has to offer can be found in the city limits.
Agreed, every business district is in the city. Even the ones 20 miles away, like the Energy Corridor/Port of Houston, Westchase, Greenspoint or NASA area.

Houston without the city, would be one of the smallest cities of roughly 5,000,000 in the U.S.

On the other side, I think DFW should be higher. Just because Fort Worth exists, and while Central Dallas is a massive loss, their's still roughly 6.3 million people in the MSA compared to (4.8 million in Houston), and a large Downtown, as well as some interesting nightlife places like Addison.

I will say in terms of urban neighborhoods, DFW without Dallas would suffer almost to the extent of Houston.

My personal list would be...
Miami
NYC - NNJ is very underrated. Hudson County is legitimately, the 2nd or 3rd most urban city in the country (if it was unified).
LA
Dallas
Washington
Boston
Chicago
Houston

Old 08-01-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Agreed, every business district is in the city. Even the ones 20 miles away, like the Energy Corridor/Port of Houston, Westchase, Greenspoint or NASA area.

Houston without the city, would be one of the smallest cities of roughly 5,000,000 in the U.S.

On the other side, I think DFW should be higher. Just because Fort Worth exists, and while Central Dallas is a massive loss, their's still roughly 6.3 million people in the MSA compared to (4.8 million in Houston), and a large Downtown, as well as some interesting nightlife places like Addison.

I will say in terms of urban neighborhoods, DFW without Dallas would suffer almost to the extent of Houston.

My personal list would be...
Miami
NYC - NNJ is very underrated. Hudson County is legitimately, the 2nd or 3rd most urban city in the country (if it was unified).
LA
Dallas
Washington
Boston
Chicago
Houston
I like your list. Nnj poblem is way too many highways and very fragmented. Even leaving Hoboken its hard to get that unified city feel. If they can make it more pedestrian appealing + unified NNJ would be a killer.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Maybe a bit biased because I live here, but Tampa Bay deserves a nod… Tampa itself isn’t all that great, but Pinellas County as a whole is wonderful.
You sure arent biased. I was thinking about mentioning them but i feared if i said Tampa Bay people would be like “but miami?” Both are great. But Tampa not mentioned yet is surprising

Old 08-01-2021, 10:23 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
LA for sure, a lot of great things to do outside of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City