Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the least segregated?
Chicago 9 10.71%
Detroit 3 3.57%
Boston 20 23.81%
Atlanta 45 53.57%
Baltimore 1 1.19%
New Orleans 5 5.95%
St. Louis 1 1.19%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 10:31 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I do think that the truly integrated places in the US tend to be suburbs and not urban areas.

But remember that just because a neighborhood is integrated or even schools doesn't mean that there's any meaningful social integration going on. A school could easily be mixed race but have social groups almost strictly divided along racial lines.
My high school was kind of like that. The nerds and stoner types were the only groups I can think of that tended to be integrated.
Agreed.

Even at the high school I attended at the time with a racial makeup of 92% black(now 72 black/26 Hispanic/1.5 Asian, which is closely aligned with the city's make up),there was still like two Mexican tables during lunch time, although they were just 7% of the student body. People will congregate and start friendships, social gatherings based on shared values, hobbies etc. It may sound superficial but an opener for that is often being of the same race, ethnicity, or national origin. I think the fact that some of the Mexican students were English-learner/LEP presented a sort of necessity to socialize with those who can communicate with them, typically other Hispanics/Mexicans outside of teachers. There is/were even a isolated floor for foreign language classes and LEP students. I didn't care and sometimes sat with them during lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 09:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I do think that the truly integrated places in the US tend to be suburbs and not urban areas.

But remember that just because a neighborhood is integrated or even schools doesn't mean that there's any meaningful social integration going on. A school could easily be mixed race but have social groups almost strictly divided along racial lines.
My high school was kind of like that. The nerds and stoner types were the only groups I can think of that tended to be integrated.
From what I see nowadays its not like this at all, At least in many of the Atlanta suburbs. I have young relatives and they seem to be comfortable around everyone.
I walk everynow in the local mall and i see of course a lot of blacks with blacks and Hispanics with Hispanics and Asians etc but I also see a lot of integrated groups.

I dont see how its any worse in the South accept when its only black and white away from the bigger cities. Particularly rural cities.
In New York and Chicago you still have ethnic neighborhoods that are largely by nationality.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:50 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
this is a good show (around the 18:30 mark they go over the fedreserve report about black segregation on boston):
https://www.pbs.org/video/current-ra...limate-x1yutn/

Old 11-25-2020, 12:28 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
There are more neighborhoods than those three that have become fairly diverse and intergrated.... West Town, Logan Square, Pilsen, Bridgeport, Near West Side...and a growing number of gentrifying areas that just keep growing with diversity and yes, inegration too. Yeesh, sounds like some of you either haven't been to Chicago since the 90's, or haven't been at all and gone off of nothing but stereotypes.

I agree Chicago is still a fairly segregated city, but the hyperbole used by some characters here is absurd. And yes, things are getting better in terms of integrated neighborhoods. The perception of Chicago just being white Wrigleyvilles and black Englewoods is just outdated at this point and flagrantly wrong. Although I know those neighborhoods get all the press and fame in Chicago. That does not mean true diverse and integrated neighborhoods don't exist in the city as well.
I'd argue other neighborhoods are starting to become more integrated or at least racially mixed too in recent years, such as Portage Park. Yes Chicago isn't perfect (particularly in a lot of black and Hispanic areas still not being the most diverse), but I think those areas sometimes do have a little bit of diversity. Like I know Austin does have a little bit of a Hispanic and white population, as of now. Morgan Park, Hyde Park, Edgewater, Rogers Park, Albany Park are mixed areas too. Even Beverly has a little bit of a black population, and ditto with nearby suburb Evergreen Park, IL.

I'd say while Chicago may not be as mixed and integrated as some areas (i.e. Atlanta, Las Vegas), it is improving in this regard.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:26 AM

761 posts, read 907,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Agreed. It does not belong on the list.
There isn't one public High School in the core metro Atlanta Area that is greater than 80% white. Even the most segregated suburbs in metro Atlanta still have minority student populations of 20%-25%, and many schools no longer have a majority of any race.

With that said, there are still a lot of schools in South Fulton, The City of Atlanta, Clayton County, and Dekalb counties that are 90+% black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City