Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the least segregated?
Chicago 9 10.71%
Detroit 3 3.57%
Boston 20 23.81%
Atlanta 45 53.57%
Baltimore 1 1.19%
New Orleans 5 5.95%
St. Louis 1 1.19%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 07:39 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

This interactive map/story basically sums it up. I finically it uses Chicago as the standard-bearer for segregation lol. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ion-us-cities/ you can see racial diversity and integration for every single place in the USA.

Also on Boston’s end-, this is worth looking atWhich city metro area that's known for being segregated feels the most integrated and diverse today?-29c9dd53-71f4-4e37-9c03-68a1e6acaa36.jpeg

as well as this

About this second graphic those are 2013-2017 stats. So your essentially seeing-on average- 2015 stats.

The demographic change in the Boston area from 1990 to 2020 would be a bit more dramatic. Especially South and West. I appreciate that this graph only looks at MA and not New Hampshire. Circa 2015 the Eastern MA counties that constitute Greater Boston were 68.5% white It's more than reasonable to assume it's 67% now which would be a ~20% decrease from 1990.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 11-17-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 07:53 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Atlanta
Boston
Chicago

Everyone else

Old 11-17-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Atlanta
Boston
Chicago

Everyone else
where on earth on you all getting Chicago from? Seriously...?

Old 11-17-2020, 08:07 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
where on earth on you all getting Chicago from? Seriously...?
Chicago can be extremely segregated but large swaths of the city from Loop, north and West are pretty diverse.

A lot of these cities like NOLA, Detroit (not for long), Baltimore and St Louis are just smaller versions of Chicago with less diverse areas that Chicago has.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chicago can be extremely segregated but large swaths of the city from Loop, north and West are pretty diverse.

A lot of these cities like NOLA, Detroit (not for long), Baltimore and St Louis are just smaller versions of Chicago with less diverse areas that Chicago has.
But you do realize-objectively its one of the most segregated areas of the country? And the 2nd most segregated big city behind only Milwaukee? It is a diverse metro though. Baltimore is less segegrated and much less segregate din the suburbs. Baltimore MSA 55% white Chicago is a 53%-marginal difference. I couldn't say Chicago is better here than Bmore.

I tried o find diverse areas in Western Chicago and it was a challenge to say the least. You went from all hispanic closest to downtown, to all black, and then in suburbia, it became nearly all white.

if your talking Downtown visitors and a few near northside communities and Hyde Park I hear you-i guess that contributes a lot to the "feel"

Old 11-17-2020, 09:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But you do realize-objectively its one of the most segregated areas of the country? And the 2nd most segregated big city behind only Milwaukee? It is a diverse metro though. Baltimore is less segegrated and much less segregate din the suburbs. Baltimore MSA 55% white Chicago is a 53%-marginal difference. I couldn't say Chicago is better here than Bmore.

I tried o find diverse areas in Western Chicago and it was a challenge to say the least. You went from all hispanic closest to downtown, to all black, and then in suburbia, it became nearly all white.

if your talking Downtown visitors and a few near northside communities and Hyde Park I hear you-i guess that contributes a lot to the "feel"
Your problem is two things. First, you’re using stats. While integration can be statistically calculated, there’s a difference between somewhere feeling segregated and being calculated. On paper, Portland is integrated, but it’s not diverse at all, so it doesn’t feel that way.

In Chicago, the south side (the hood) is where you won’t see much integration at all, while some of the more “well off” sides of the city are much more integrated. Roaming around Franklin Park, it appears just as integrated as anywhere. Which is the case for a lot of the north side.

And third, these “stats” you pulled up only show white integration as if other races can’t integrate as well.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Your problem is two things. First, you’re using stats. While integration can be statistically calculated, there’s a difference between somewhere feeling segregated and being calculated. On paper, Portland is integrated, but it’s not diverse at all, so it doesn’t feel that way.

In Chicago, the south side (the hood) is where you won’t see much integration at all, while some of the more “well off” sides of the city are much more integrated. Roaming around Franklin Park, it appears just as integrated as anywhere. Which is the case for a lot of the north side.

And third, these “stats” you pulled up only show white integration as if other races can’t integrate as well.
Idk id your third point is true. Chicago doesn't do well in any of the stats whit or non-white-see for yourself. https://www.governing.com/gov-data/e...tro-areas.html It segregated in every way. But as you say-that doesn't speak to "feel"

Chicago looks wildly segregated. with tiny tiny exceptions.

here's one of the exceptions

This stuff here is bonkers^^^

Using stats from 10 years ago isn't exactly fair but quite honestly I haven't seen segregation like what I see in Milwaukee or Chicago anywhere else in the US. In general, Chicago has seen less demographic change than some other areas here though so I don't feel too bad in this case.

It's a few core diverse areas downtown-but the metro?? Naw.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:23 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

Nah.

I lived in Chicago for two years. Its segregated as hell. There are a couple of exceptions (like Albany Park and Hyde Park and Bronzeville is gentrifying), but overall the residential segregation is extreme.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

I lived in Chicago [for two years]. Its segregated as hell.
-everyone from Chicago, ever

Old 11-17-2020, 11:31 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
NYC

Data nerds always claim that it's among the most segregated cities of the country. While that does feel true for large swaths of the city where you might only see black and or black and Hispanic people, that's honestly a feature of pretty much every big US city. On the flip side, there are many neighborhoods where loads of people from all ethnicities go to hang out. So in lower/Midtown Manhattan and much of Brooklyn for instance, you see a very diverse crowd of people walking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City