Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the least segregated?
Chicago 9 10.71%
Detroit 3 3.57%
Boston 20 23.81%
Atlanta 45 53.57%
Baltimore 1 1.19%
New Orleans 5 5.95%
St. Louis 1 1.19%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:36 AM

9,866 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Idk id your third point is true. Chicago doesn't do well in any of the stats whit or non-white-see for yourself. https://www.governing.com/gov-data/e...tro-areas.html It segregated in every way. But as you say-that doesn't speak to "feel"

Chicago looks wildly segregated. with tiny tiny exceptions.

here's one of the exceptions

This stuff here is bonkers^^^

Using stats from 10 years ago isn't exactly fair but quite honestly I haven't seen segregation like what I see in Milwaukee or Chicago anywhere else in the US. In general, Chicago has seen less demographic change than some other areas here though so I don't feel too bad in this case.

It's a few core diverse areas downtown-but the metro?? Naw.
You realize the other cities that are on this list right? It’s not like you’re comparing Chicago to LA. You’re comparing Chicago to Baltimore and so forth. Besides Atlanta, all of these cities are notoriously segregated. The little Chicago strides has made is much greater than the other cities here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
NYC

Data nerds always claim that it's among the most segregated cities of the country. While that does feel true for large swaths of the city where you might only see black and or black and Hispanic people, that's honestly a feature of pretty much every big US city. On the flip side, there are many neighborhoods where loads of people from all ethnicities go to hang out. So in lower/Midtown Manhattan and much of Brooklyn for instance, you see a very diverse crowd of people walking around.
Yeah. Even the most “integrated city of Vegas” has large continuous hispanic areas. People fly into Vegas, go to the strip, maybe downtown and possibly take an Uber to an event or festival somewhere else so people won’t notice It there as much.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:02 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You realize the other cities that are on this list right? It’s not like you’re comparing Chicago to LA. You’re comparing Chicago to Baltimore and so forth. Besides Atlanta, all of these cities are notoriously segregated. The little Chicago strides has made is much greater than the other cities here.
No...you can track that and you can see it here-its more segregated than Baltimore metro-wide.

Outside of Atlanta which shouldn't be in the pool to begin with-Boston wins this by a wide margin. Both anecdotally and objectively.

I'd give an Honorable mention to Baltimore. Baltimore and Howard County have changed drastically. Chicago is just ahead of STL and MKE. Chicago is very racially diverse but not integrated.

But because it diverse and the immediate core is relatively integrated I could see it getting a vote or 2.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 11-17-2020 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Even the most “integrated city of Vegas” has large continuous hispanic areas. People fly into Vegas, go to the strip, maybe downtown and possibly take an Uber to an event or festival somewhere else so people won’t notice It there as much.
I went all over Las Vegas-it was integrated. Probably 2nd only to Houston.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
NYC

Data nerds always claim that it's among the most segregated cities of the country. While that does feel true for large swaths of the city where you might only see black and or black and Hispanic people, that's honestly a feature of pretty much every big US city. On the flip side, there are many neighborhoods where loads of people from all ethnicities go to hang out. So in lower/Midtown Manhattan and much of Brooklyn for instance, you see a very diverse crowd of people walking around.
NYC is so ethnically diverse, and its population is so mobile via public transit it doesn't feel that segregated to me, but I know in reality-it is. But in cities like NYC its not always just about racial its about ethnic-and NYC is a beautiful ethnic tapestry.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
No...you can track that and you can see it here-its more segregated than Baltimore metro-wide.

Outside of Atlanta which shouldn't be in the pool to begin with-Boston wins this by a wide margin. Both anecdotally and objectively.

I'd give an Honorable mention to Baltimore. Baltimore and Howard County has changed drastically. Chicago is just ahead of MKE. Chicago is very racially diverse but not integrated.
Yes, me and those who I was staying with felt integrated in the part of Chicago we were in. You’re not to convince other sides bwcausw you disagree

Old 11-17-2020, 12:43 PM

8,327 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Yes, me and those who I was staying with felt integrated in the part of Chicago we were in. You’re not to convince other sides bwcausw you disagree
Residential segregation is undeniable and yes that can be proven objectively.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Residential segregation is undeniable and yes that can be proven objectively.
Ok, but back to the topic. The threads title is “which feels the most integrated”. Not which is statistically the most integrated. Despite the “proven” residential segregation, hopping on the L and visiting the restaurants and commercial areas, it didn’t give off this feel. Compared to other cities on here, they don’t even have this feel (other than Atlanta anda possibly Boston). Can’t say the same thing about the south side, though.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
I went all over Las Vegas-it was integrated. Probably 2nd only to Houston.
I think Vegas might be more integrated than Houston. But it's the combination of large city macro-diversity + integration that puts Houston on top. If talking pure integration though Vegas and Sacramento probably both beat out Houston.

I think Atlanta does belong on this list, especially when talking metro-wide. The Black South and White North split is one of the most obvious racial splits in this country to see on a map. Of course the North is nearly entirely integrated now especially West, NW and East, NE of the city, and as blacks move further and further South places like Peachtree City will become more integrated, and hopefully as Clayton County's economic prospect's improve it's demographic change into going from a white area to a mixed area to a black area will reverse somewhat. I think what helps Atlanta a lot is that it's Hispanic and Asian population are so young to the area, that their developmental pattern shows the current developmental pattern of Americans which means newer places are more integrated.

When Atlanta was largely seen as a black-white city it wasn't that integrated. But then you could argue by that metric D.C also belongs here so a rabbit-hole could open up about how far back we are talking.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:52 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Ok, but back to the topic. The threads title is “which feels the most integrated”. Not which is statistically the most integrated. Despite the “proven” residential segregation, hopping on the L and visiting the restaurants and commercial areas, it didn’t give off this feel. Compared to other cities on here, they don’t even have this feel (other than Atlanta anda possibly Boston). Can’t say the same thing about the south side, though.
It's still very much a part of the city of Chicago and cannot be excluded, no matter how much you and others want that to be the case. Outside of the Loop, Hyde Park, and parts of Uptown, Chicago does not feel integrated at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City