Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the least segregated?
Chicago 9 10.71%
Detroit 3 3.57%
Boston 20 23.81%
Atlanta 45 53.57%
Baltimore 1 1.19%
New Orleans 5 5.95%
St. Louis 1 1.19%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but it doesn’t have many neighborhoods (if any) like that. I mean don’t many schools in Houston have no white kids? Isn’t that most major cities? The only truly diverse integrated big city that might not have a lot of those <2% school would probably be Sacramento.

White people have fewer kids and are more likely to opt out of urban public schools. That’s everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
But that’s why integration in America is a joke. When tour most integrated cities are still very segregated. Those schools have no or almost no white kids bwcausw their neighborhoods don’t either.
I'm gonna have to agree with Paraguanero here. If the public schools in a city generally have little to no students of the US's largest racial group, it means that it is not that integrated of a city. Yeah I know it's all relative, but still.

Even if that's the case everywhere, it doesn't mean it's not a segregated city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Vegas doesn’t seem to have a ton of social group interracial mingling, but when I went I saw a very even mix of people out on the trip, Fremont street experience and many parts of downtown Vegas. Summerlin and Henderson area whiter areas but thats still means ~60% white. There’s a large Hispanic glut in the east side but it runs concurrent with working class white people in Whitney. More middle class Filipino and black people north and northeast, and then spring valley and enterprise are really evenly mixed.

It’s physically residentially integrated. I stayed at in air bib out in residential suburban Vegas and saw incredible diverse sets of families. People of all races just seem super comfortable around one another and respectful of people space and culture in general. It’s just a very laid back simple vibe and I think the populace is so transient and transplant heavy and the areas is so new-it’s just baggage free and genuinely diverse almost entirely throughout the metro.
If the people aren't interacting with each other, it makes functionally no difference versus a neighborhood that is residentially segregated.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:17 PM

408 posts, read 580,876 times
Atlanta, the others don't compare.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:17 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with Paraguanero here. If the public schools in a city generally have little to no students of the US's largest racial group, it means that it is not that integrated of a city. Yeah I know it's all relative, but still.

Even if that's the case everywhere, it doesn't mean it's not a segregated city.
If thats case you guys are rendering the entire thread useless and pointless. So why even bother? Like it’s just a. Ridiculous standard to have if no one achieves it. Asinine.

I definitely showed that Vegas is less of a mismatch than some other cities racially. I guess I should grab Clark county public schoo demographics-24% of Clark Coutny a public schools are white! That’s very high! And only 7% points away from there actual percentage, 31%. I’m sorry but you’re 24% white in your school system as a big urban district? That’s very integrated! I don’t know any other city that’s less than 45% white with a public school system that white. It does a better job than most.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Atlanta, the others don't compare.
Atlanta doesn’t even belong here

Old 11-17-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
If thats case you guys are rendering the entire thread useless and pointless. So why even bother? Like it’s just a. Ridiculous standard to have if no one achieves it. Asinine.

I definitely showed that Vegas is less of a mismatch than some other cities racially. I guess I should grab Clark county public schoo demographics-24% of Clark Coutny a public schools are white! That’s very high! And only 7% points away from there actual percentage, 31%. I’m sorry but you’re 24% white in your school system as a big urban district? That’s very integrated! I don’t know any other city that’s less than 45% white with a public school system that white. It does a better job than most.
Well I think that certain suburbs can be truly integrated, like maybe Round Rock. But no big cities that I can think of.

As for that 24%, it depends on how they're distributed.
If it were throughout the whole city I'd consider that integrated (though that's low enough to be erased by 1 generation of white flight). But if it's a few white heavy schools with the rest having no whites, then I wouldn't.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:33 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
hmm, i guess the true answer would be n.y.c. although it is not known as being one of the most segregated (in fact most humans assume its the most integrated).

the only city that is known to be segregated is boston eventhough scientifically there are some major metropolises with worser integration problems.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:55 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
This is hard to analyze outside of statistics on paper. Are we simply writing about Black and White integration? If so, Chicago is probably last on this list. There are too many areas of Chicagoland and the city where you don't see Blacks and Whites intermingling at all. Very few options for a person looking for a integrated middle class area outside of a few neighborhoods mentioned.

St. Louis is segregated as well. You can find a variety of neighborhoods that are well integrated in all income brackets. I've never had a problem going out socializing in an integrated environment like I have in Chicago. With that being written, Many suburbs to the south and in Jefferson and St. Charles county are over 90% one race. So its not like Atlanta. The old boundaries are well established. The city of St. Louis is much more integrated due to the loss of population and many transplant have moved in an revitalized old neighborhoods.

I don't know why Vegas is mentioned but no one mentioned vegas in the poll. I would go with Atlanta. Most recent established cities with a sizable and diverse middle class will give more integration. I don't think that excludes them from racism.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Okay but we live in America-everything’s relative. It doesn’t make the school any less integrated. A lotta big cities are less than 20% within the their youth population-we still call them integrated though.

Las Vegas is ~31% white in its youth population and 30% metro wide. The city demographics mirror the metro-not only in the youth population but in the adult population. Good sign of integration IMO.

Boston is ~17% white in its 5-17 year old population and ~54% metro wide. This a lower white youth population than NYC or Philadelphia. Despite Boston being a whiter metro-that’s why Boston is on this list and NYC and Philly arent. It has serious problem with integration.

Problems Las Vegas really doesn’t have. White people enter Boston for college-stay for a decade and then they flee Boston when they have children in Las Vegas they don’t-those are just the natural demographics of the area.

Look at the divergent racial age demographics for each city and you’ll see Vegas is a more naturally progression why Boston is flooded by white people hopping in and out of the city when it convenient for them in life. That’s racial segregation in action.

Las Vegas: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N...-and-Ethnicity

Boston: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/M...-and-Ethnicity

Philly: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/P...-and-Ethnicity

New York: https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N...-and-Ethnicity

As you can see here Boston has the lowest white youth population of any of these cities.

Boston Public Schools demographic info 2019/2020, this includes racial demographic for kids in charters, public and out of BOS entirely: https://www.bostonpublicschools.org/...9-20_FINAL.pdf

https://www.tbf.org/news-and-insight...ators-20200122

Boston fares well compared to The cities in here but compared to a city like Las Vegas idly gets thrashed. So I don’t take the Las Vegas has few white kids thing all to seriously. There’s barely any private schools in the whole Las Vegas Valley to put white kids into anyway.
To be fair to Boston. Las Vegas has an L shape which means Summerlin and Northern Las Vegas (Not North Las Vegas) skew the statistics in Las Vegas’s favor quite a bit.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
To be fair to Boston. Las Vegas has an L shape which means Summerlin and Northern Las Vegas (Not North Las Vegas) skew the statistics in Las Vegas’s favor quite a bit.
I looked at Clark County demographics and Las Vegas demographics . There virtually identical, have been for years. Look it up to yourself to confirm.

Your Summerlin and Henderson are both ~60-65% white but then places like North Las Vegas Paradise Sunrise Manor are more like 25-40%

Also all those places are all under the 320k student Clark CountY Public School System. Henderson and Summerlin share the school network with Vegas, Enterprise, Paradise, Winchester, Whitney, NLV, etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City