Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the least segregated?
Chicago 9 10.71%
Detroit 3 3.57%
Boston 20 23.81%
Atlanta 45 53.57%
Baltimore 1 1.19%
New Orleans 5 5.95%
St. Louis 1 1.19%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 10:09 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with Paraguanero here. If the public schools in a city generally have little to no students of the US's largest racial group, it means that it is not that integrated of a city. Yeah I know it's all relative, but still.

Even if that's the case everywhere, it doesn't mean it's not a segregated city.
If you are just going by public schools then in Texas blacks and Hispanics integrate very well. On the other hand whites and Asians seem to integrate better, except in areas where the Asian percentage grows over 40%. That would trigger a white flight. White parents also seem to get triggered at a higher Hispanic percentage than black students at least in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 10:26 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
If you are just going by public schools then in Texas blacks and Hispanics integrate very well. On the other hand whites and Asians seem to integrate better, except in areas where the Asian percentage grows over 40%. That would trigger a white flight. White parents also seem to get triggered at a higher Hispanic percentage than black students at least in Texas.
No surprise here. White schools use Asians to signify diversify. In the meantime, the two more oppressed groups are grouped together.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
White/Asian and Black/Hispanic integration seems to be viewed as standard though. Like it's not even remotely noteworthy since it's the norm.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No surprise here. White schools use Asians to signify diversify. In the meantime, the two more oppressed groups are grouped together.
I mean, Asia is a huge continent which contains widely varying cultures. It is fair to say that it's real diversity.

But for the purpose of this conversation, it's understood that it's mainly non-Asian minorities we're referring to.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:11 PM

Also ; while Asians may live around white people and the women date a ton of white guys, I still think Asians tend to stick mainly to themselves (at least from what I've seen).

Old 11-18-2020, 11:13 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Either way id say Atlanta but i don't know that it ever had the "segregated rep" like that.
This

Quote:
This is about the metro-not just the loop/downtown. If that were the case Boston would be among the bottom-if not last. But because it's not about just downtown-so that shifts things significantly.
Fwiw, there is a lot of White/Asian integration in the central neighborhoods. Enough to keep Boston off the bottom, maybe.

Quote:
In the meantime, the two more oppressed groups are grouped together.
"Oppressed"? Idk. Black people and perhaps Afro-Latinos have certainly been oppressed in the Boston area, but Hispanic people in general in the area seem to be like many past immigrant groups. Lots of middle class Spanish people in the suburbs. Likewise, a lot of the Nigerian immigrants to the Boston area tend to be pretty well-off in my experience.

Also, there are a lot of poor Asian people in MA cities. Your generalizations really aren't always true.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-18-2020 at 11:33 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

"Oppressed"? Idk. Black people and perhaps Afro-Latinos have certainly been oppressed in the Boston area, but Hispanic people in general in the area seem to be like many past immigrant groups. Lots of middle class Spanish people in the suburbs. Likewise, a lot of the Nigerian immigrants to the Boston area tend to be pretty well-off in my experience.

Also, there are a lot of poor Asian people in MA cities. Your generalizations really aren't always true.
He/she said Texas not Boston. I haven’t mentioned Boston yet besides mentioning I am not speaking on Boston since it’s the only city here I have yet to visit.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:39 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
He/she said Texas not Boston.
...what? Oh! I understand, but the statement is generally true for Boston Proper too! There are a few White/Asian neighborhoods and some Black/Hispanic neighborhoods for shore.

But not always. Like Fields Corner is 31% White, 32% Black, 21% Asian, 12% Hispanic. Then you've got places like Quincy (which is very White/Asian), Brockton (which is very Black/White), and Lynn (which is very Hispanic/White).

Integration in the Boston area is kind of complicated.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-18-2020 at 11:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
...what? Oh! I understand, but the statement is generally true for Boston Proper too! There are a few White/Asian neighborhoods and some Black/Hispanic neighborhoods for shore.

But not always. Like Fields Corner is 31% White, 32% Black, 21% Asian, 12% Hispanic. Then you've got places like Quincy (which is very White/Asian), Brockton (which is very Black/White), and Lynn (which is very Hispanic/White).

Integration in the Boston area is kind of complicated.
Haven’t been to Boston, but in cities closer to the Mexican border, especially Houston and Los Ángeles particularly, the black and Hispanic mixed neighborhoods (such as Compton for LA and South Park for Houston) tend to form for different reasons as opposed cities further from the Mexican border

Old 11-19-2020, 12:09 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
I looked at Clark County demographics and Las Vegas demographics . There virtually identical, have been for years. Look it up to yourself to confirm.

Your Summerlin and Henderson are both ~60-65% white but then places like North Las Vegas Paradise Sunrise Manor are more like 25-40%

Also all those places are all under the 320k student Clark CountY Public School System. Henderson and Summerlin share the school network with Vegas, Enterprise, Paradise, Winchester, Whitney, NLV, etc etc
But that's exactly what I mean. https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...4d-115.1398087

This square is roughly Las Vegas's core. As you can see a significant portion (maybe half of Las Vegas) Las Vegas, (half of North Las Vegas) North Las Vegas, all of Winchester and (half of Sunrise Manor) Sunrise Manor, population wise resides in these boundaries. Within this boundary your probably talking roughly 60% Hispanic, 15% Black 20% White and 5% Other/Asian. Even outside of these boundaries obviously Las Vegas is still very diverse. But Las Vegas boundaries makes little sense when talking about diversity. Summerlin and Northern Las Vegas while diverse brings the city up to 30% White in the local schools. Without those and adding in Southern North Las Vegas, Western Sunrise Manor and Winchester, we are talking maybe 15%, still better than the essentially 0-5% we see in a similar sized area in central cities across the country.

Because Las Vegas is relatively recent it didn't annex places like North Las Vegas and Winchester and instead snaked around. Similar to how Houston having Kingwood/Lake Houston in city limits basically bumps it's white share of the population 3%.

Las Vegas metro is basically shaped like a pie, with several cities cutting sharing a part of the core of the city/area. While Paradise is wholly outside of that area and still very diverse, and Northern North Las Vegas is probably the most diverse part of the metro. Outside of the square Las Vegas is like 50%+ White. Again crazy diverse. But Boston would look more diverse if Norwood, Westwood, Hyde Park, Dedham were the same city. Or if Mattapan, Milton, Canton, Stoughton and Randolph were the same town. Or if Dorchester, Quincy, Weymouth and Braintree were the same town. Then the rest of Boston became the new Boston except they slapped Brookline, Newton, Watertown and Waltham in as well.

That's essentially what Las Vegas city limits does. It's still diverse but saying 30% of Las Vegas kids are white and 30% of Clark kids are white ignores the fact that more than half (especially if you throw in the Strip area, of Las Vegas's center isn't actually Las Vegas- but North Las Vegas, Winchester, Sunrise Manor and Paradise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City