Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 02:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You're telling me New York doesn't get lots of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans?
We do but I didn't realize you mentioned them.

However, I associate Ricans with Orlando more than Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 02:56 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Out of those three groups, we only get Panamanians in decent numbers here in New York. And they're mainly black Panamanians descended from Jamaica.

So I guess I mainly interact with Hispanics who don't have that kind of attachment to Miami.
Clearly, you thought I was speaking only of those 3 countries if you say Panama is the only to get decent numbers in New York. I was using those as the territory and everything in between. Here's a list: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Venezuela, Colombia, Costa Rica. On top of this, the non Spanish speaking countries also have their Mecca in Miami. Brazil as well. The rest of South America isn't quite as Miami boosting, but Miami is still the general favorite place throughout South America. Literally only northern Central America and Mexico don't have the Miami connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
We do but I didn't realize you mentioned them.

However, I associate Ricans with Orlando more than Miami.
Sure. In fact, NYC is also more associated to NYC than Miami (wouldn't say Orlando though). But as a region as a whole, the general area combined all see Miami as the number one

I've literally met people (and a lot) who were only willing to live in the USA if its in Miami or else they would prefer go back home out of being home sick. And I understand this doesn't apply to Mexicans and northern Central Americans (where San Antonio is more friendly) but outside of that very specific region, there is no way anyone would struggle to find the relationship between Miami and Latin America. This is blasphemous *Stephen a smith voice* It's kind of ridiculous to even have this convo.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The problem is Mexican immigration is very hard to calculate because of the high amount of undocumented citizens from there. Even attempting to include them is a nearly impossible task. On a recent New York trip, I've met booming Mexican and Salvadoran communities near NYC which contain plenty of undocumented. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a lot more Mexican immigrants than the data suggests.
Most I know are either undocumented or born to undocumented parents. You're 100% right that you can't figure out from statistics alone.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Go look at the link I just posted from the Migration Policy Institute. They keep closer tracks of illegal immigration trends than literally any other body.
Except for the immigrants and the groups bringing immigrants in themselves. They keep the closest watch, but when new methods are being used by the minute, it's not exactly the most accurate measurement.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:09 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Except for the immigrants and the groups bringing immigrants in themselves. They keep the closest watch, but when new methods are being used by the minute, it's not exactly the most accurate measurement.
Oh please. This is based off of number of apprehensions at the border. Unless you think the border patrol is just a bunch of morons throwing **** at each other, this is a VERY telling statistic. Mexicans are not coming here as much anymore and not nearly as much illegally. 92% of border apprehensions were Mexican in 2009 and 36% were in 2018. Thats a huge decline.

Over 800,000 Mexicans were apprehended at the border in 2008. In 2018, that number was 152,000. Those are not estimates, those are real numbers. It would take some REALLY wishful thinking to think that many more are just getting through and we dont know about it.

It is not debatable: the number of Mexican immigrants in this country has gone down. Why shouldnt it either? Mexico is a LOT more stable than it was in 2009.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...02019%29_1.pdf

Old 11-24-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Oh please. This is based off of number of apprehensions at the border. Unless you think the border patrol is just a bunch of morons throwing **** at each other, this is a VERY telling statistic. Mexicans are not coming here as much anymore and not nearly as much illegally. 92% of border apprehensions were Mexican in 2009 and 36% were in 2018. Thats a huge decline.

Over 800,000 Mexicans were apprehended at the border in 2008. In 2018, that number was 152,000. Those are not estimates, those are real numbers. It would take some REALLY wishful thinking to think that many more are just getting through and we dont know about it.

It is not debatable: the number of Mexican immigrants in this country has gone down. Why shouldnt it either? Mexico is a LOT more stable than it was in 2009.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...02019%29_1.pdf
You think border patrols are outsmarting the immigrants, so you could turn around the argument say "unless you think immigrant organization are just morons that have no way of coming in without being tracked".
Who's the moron in the end? On TOP of this, it's not even about which group outsmarts which. The United States immigration including the border patrol is very corrupt.

Yes, it's no secret that Mexican immigration specifically has slowed down. But this isn't what you're discussing. This is about New Mexican immigrants in New York. Foam is right. There's been a surge of Mexican and Salvadoran immigrants recently. And with immigration being so hard to track, I don't believe the net negative number you showed for New York specifically.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You think border patrols are outsmarting the immigrants, so you could turn around the argument say "unless you think immigrant organization are just morons that have no way of coming in without being tracked".
Who's the moron in the end? On TOP of this, it's not even about which group outsmarts which. The United States immigration including the border patrol is very corrupt.

Yes, it's no secret that Mexican immigration specifically has slowed down. But this isn't what you're discussing. This is about New Mexican immigrants in New York. Foam is right. There's been a surge of Mexican and Salvadoran immigrants recently. And with immigration being so hard to track, I don't believe the net negative number you showed for New York specifically.
Yeah and even if the number of Mexican immigrants is going down (I don't believe that because there are a lot of undocumented children in the single digit age range), there are more than enough Chicanos now to grow the Nuyomexican population.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:24 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:

You have no data to prove it, you have nothing to back it up, you simply went there once and saw some Mexicans and your mind made the leap because you wanted it to.

Also, immigration isnt hard to track. For example Houston's Honduran population would be 38% smaller if illegal immigrants were not counted. Id suggest you actually try to learn about how ACS, the Migration Policy Institute, Pew, etc. document and track these numbers before relying on yourself as some sort of expert because you went there.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:26 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
While both have some of the largest Hispanic populations in the US, Houston is much more diverse so I vote San Antonio.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
You have no data to prove it, you have nothing to back it up, you simply went there once and saw some Mexicans and your mind made the leap because you wanted it to.

Also, immigration isnt hard to track at all. Id suggest you actually try to learn about how ACS, the Migration Policy Institute, Pew, etc. document and track these numbers before relying on yourself as some sort of expert because you went there.
So, you expect an argument of "immigrant data isn't accurate" by providing data? Yeah that makes sense. If you think finding ways to track immigration isn't hard, that just speaks on how uneducated you are on how immigrants are coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City