Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 03:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post

Nola - not too far. Not the best economy and high COL. Might be the most fun on this list though, which is why it appeals to me
NOLA is the most seasoned but the worst on this list. Most prone to hurricanes of your list and also one of the least to offer economically. not to mention not very diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 03:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Hold up... Austin isn't bland but Houston and Dallas are? interesting

Old 11-24-2020, 07:24 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
20 something white single male?

Austin,Nashville, New Orleans (even though the weather is a drag)

Old 11-24-2020, 09:51 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
I would choose Nashville. It has a young vibe and great economy. The city is very welcoming to outsiders.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
As the title says, I am a single, white male in my 20s and plan to move to a southern city in the next couple of years. I live in San Antonio and while it's not bad I would like to live somewhere with a more happening party scene. I will probably move back to South Texas when I get out of my party stage but for now I just want to see where life takes me. I won't be moving for a few years as I still need to graduate.

Main things I am looking for are a fun party scene, unique city (I hate sprawled out cities and cities that are bland), decent job opportunities, decent cost of living, and nice people I suppose. I don't know many people outside of Texas so I'll probably have to make new friends wherever I go.

These are the cities I've considered:

Austin - very close to SA and I have some friends here. It might be more fun for people in their early 20s though, and COL is high

Dallas - close to SA and I have friends and family here. LOTS of jobs. I feel like it's sort of bland though

Houston - close to SA and lots of jobs. Don't like the hurricane problem and it is also sort of bland. I do like how it's near NOLA

Nola - not too far. Not the best economy and high COL. Might be the most fun on this list though, which is why it appeals to me

Memphis - sort of far. Not the best economy but COL is low and I visited when I was a kid and thought it was cool. Maybe it doesn't belong on this list but how is the party scene?

Nashville - Pretty good economy and decent COL I think. Perhaps more fun than Memphis but less culture? I had an uncle that lived here and we visited him. Thought the city was cool

Atlanta - I have a buddy that lived here and thinks this is where I should go. Says the party scene is better than NOLA. Not sure if that's true, but it probably is at least close. He recommended the buckhead area. I do like how they have a good economy but it's pretty far from home.

Other places I've considered - Charlotte (although I've heard it's bland), Charleston, DC (not technically southern but heard a lot of southerners move here? And it's probably tons of fun), Richmond, maybe Savannah, Raleigh, Louisville?
Louisville is the most afforable and most surprising on the list. I also like that it is so close and drivable to so many awesome places.

If you are at all very indie and or /kitchy and want to be on a budget, choose Louisville.

Honestly any major metro over 1 million is going to have enough entertainment post covid. On that note, Savanna and Charleston are just too small and clicky/touristy IMO.

Based on your thirst for "party scene" however, my vote will go to nashville. However prepare to pay twice the price of Louisville. It may be best to stay in a historic loft in Louisville and go down to Nashville or up to Chicago or ATL once a month to party. Will be cheaper and more fun that way certainly. That's not to say Louisville isn't a huge party city. It has great nightlife and especially festivals. But the nightlife, like in San Antonio, is not going to jump out at you. It's more of a neighborhood pub kind of vibe. Personally, I find chasing bacherlotte parties in Nashville and Nola tiresome and nearly pointless...

Old 11-28-2020, 06:43 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Atlanta for sure. Major city with lots of culture and eclectic areas. Young city as well. Job opportunities are boundless.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is the most afforable and most surprising on the list. I also like that it is so close and drivable to so many awesome places.

If you are at all very indie and or /kitchy and want to be on a budget, choose Louisville.

Honestly any major metro over 1 million is going to have enough entertainment post covid. On that note, Savanna and Charleston are just too small and clicky/touristy IMO.

Based on your thirst for "party scene" however, my vote will go to nashville. However prepare to pay twice the price of Louisville. It may be best to stay in a historic loft in Louisville and go down to Nashville or up to Chicago or ATL once a month to party. Will be cheaper and more fun that way certainly. That's not to say Louisville isn't a huge party city. It has great nightlife and especially festivals. But the nightlife, like in San Antonio, is not going to jump out at you. It's more of a neighborhood pub kind of vibe. Personally, I find chasing bacherlotte parties in Nashville and Nola tiresome and nearly pointless...
I am not indie or kitchy at all. Quite the opposite, I am pretty conservative and traditional, which I know sounds silly considering the question I am asking.

I think you are right about Savannah and Charleston being too cliquey. That is something I would like to avoid. If I leave Texas I probably won't be moving somewhere that I know people. If anything, maybe 1 person, and probably a person I was never close with. I would like somewhere that it's easy to find friends but also somewhere that has a real culture, if that's possible. Cities like Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, and maybe Atlanta just seem sort of culture-less to me. I do like that San Antonio is unique. Cities like New Orleans, Memphis, and Richmond seem to be better in that regard too, probably moreso than San Antonio at this point.

Ultimately, I would like to live somewhere that at least has a better nightlife than San Antonio. It sounds like you are saying Louisville is pretty comparable?

I started a thread in the Tennessee forum but some moderator deleted it because I dared to ask which city is more similar to Dallas or Houston regarding the giant suburban, typical American city thing. So I guess I'll ask it here. Also, which is going to have a more fun nightlife? Is Memphis going to be far ahead of San Antonio?

Old 11-28-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Atlanta for sure. Major city with lots of culture and eclectic areas. Young city as well. Job opportunities are boundless.
I've actually heard the opposite, that it's basically a giant suburb. I'm sure it can't be worse than Dallas or Houston. Job opportunities are definitely a plus.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:22 AM

Seems like the consensus is Nashville, Nola, or Austin, and then Atlanta and Memphis to a lesser extent

Old 11-28-2020, 02:50 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
New Orleans party scene is centered on tourists. Nashville's is too to some extent, except its local population is growing much faster. Atlanta can be fun but is very bland, almost as bad as Dallas, though not quite as bad as the sensory depravation chamber called Charlotte. Austin has the best mix of economy, things to do, and good times, especially with the springs and the Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City