Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 06:28 AM

842 posts, read 825,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Inside the city limits, Seattle and Portland are immediately identifiable to me and only look like each other --- at least the areas south of 85th St N in Seattle and west of I-205 in Portland don't even look like those cities' inner-ring suburbs. The preponderance of Craftsman and other wood houses with a smattering of new "boxy" buildings, the high population density (typically exceeding 10,000 ppsm), the conifers, the high level of upkeep and lack of severe blight --- it all makes up the very distinct Seattle/Portland style. The farther-out parts of those cities, incorporated into the city limits in the 1950s and the 1980s respectively, are more suburban in character, but still look identifiably "PNW" and are still denser than the suburban areas farther out.

Now, telling Seattle and Portland apart. This is a bit more subtle, but there are a few differences:
Yes, these are the sorts of subtle things I was thinking about when I made the post, but I realize that they are details recognizable only to people very very familiar with particular locations. So it doesn't make for a very interesting thread, I reckon. Speaking of pavement, I always associate concrete streets (instead of asphalt) with suburban New Orleans, although I know they are used in other Gulf Coast cities as well. And I have always associated macadam sidewalks and driveways with Memphis. Of course, they were used in other places as well, but they always seemed much more prevalent in 1970's-ish areas of Memphis to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 06:58 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
No mistaking Philadelphia streets:
https://goo.gl/maps/iZ3jmEwUULDFewBi8

Old 11-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Yes, that is a distinct look!

Old 11-30-2020, 09:09 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Inside the city limits, Seattle and Portland are immediately identifiable to me and only look like each other --- at least the areas south of 85th St N in Seattle and west of I-205 in Portland don't even look like those cities' inner-ring suburbs. The preponderance of Craftsman and other wood houses with a smattering of new "boxy" buildings, the high population density (typically exceeding 10,000 ppsm), the conifers, the high level of upkeep and lack of severe blight --- it all makes up the very distinct Seattle/Portland style. The farther-out parts of those cities, incorporated into the city limits in the 1950s and the 1980s respectively, are more suburban in character, but still look identifiably "PNW" and are still denser than the suburban areas farther out.

Now, telling Seattle and Portland apart. This is a bit more subtle, but there are a few differences:

- Pavement. Seattle mostly uses large "blocks" that allow rainwater to seep in, Portland does not.
- Arterial streets. Seattle's tend to be wider, often including two-way left turn lanes or bike lanes. This is more typical in Portland.
- Portland's commercial areas are lower-key --- more empty lots and houses mixed in between the businesses, fewer stories on the apartments. Certainly nothing like this in Portland, but even a farther-out, less trendy commercial area in Seattle will look different.
I agree.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Here the concrete curbs, greenery and dense suburban housing could be in Elizabeth or similar part of New Jersey but the street lamp is unmistakably a NYC fixture. The scene is in Staten Island--close to Elizabeth but not quite there. New York City uses fire hydrants like this one in Jamaica, Queens, and has many houses like these typical models from the 1920s building boom. Also in the view is the typical sign with push broom warning you of the street sweeping hours. In the not-so-subtle category is this scene of brownstone row houses and London plane trees-- where else but in Brooklyn?
These front end gable houses with a small second floor porch perched on top of a larger first floor porch could be anywhere in Connecticut or Western Mass -- New Haven, Meriden, Hartford, Springfield, Holyoke... In Massachusetts, the curb is usually cut granite and the traffic signal is usually mounted on a pole like this one in West Springfield but across the state line in Connecticut the traffic signals are still strung up on cables where they dangle over the intersection. Towns are important in all the New England states, and there's no county government, but only Mass makes a big deal of the town lines with these signs on state and federal highways.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Here the concrete curbs, greenery and dense suburban housing could be in Elizabeth or similar part of New Jersey but the street lamp is unmistakably a NYC fixture. The scene is in Staten Island--close to Elizabeth but not quite there. New York City uses fire hydrants like this one in Jamaica, Queens, and has many houses like these typical models from the 1920s building boom. Also in the view is the typical sign with push broom warning you of the street sweeping hours. In the not-so-subtle category is this scene of brownstone row houses and London plane trees-- where else but in Brooklyn?
These front end gable houses with a small second floor porch perched on top of a larger first floor porch could be anywhere in Connecticut or Western Mass -- New Haven, Meriden, Hartford, Springfield, Holyoke... In Massachusetts, the curb is usually cut granite and the traffic signal is usually mounted on a pole like this one in West Springfield but across the state line in Connecticut the traffic signals are still strung up on cables where they dangle over the intersection. Towns are important in all the New England states, and there's no county government, but only Mass makes a big deal of the town lines with these signs on state and federal highways.
Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices things like this...or maybe can't quite pinpoint all of the details, but as a whole they give a "look" to a place. I'm not all that familiar with the Northeast, so the only one I would have guessed for sure was the pic from Brooklyn. All of the others I could have pinpointed to the region, but that's about it. That Massachusetts town is truly a postcard setting!

Old 11-30-2020, 06:02 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
I'm going to go with this for LA.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0138...7i16384!8i8192

The combination of hundred year old bungalows and tall Mexican fan palms is fairly specific for LA. There are a couple of neighborhoods in San Diego where the Mexican fan palm is also popular (Ocean Beach and Point Loma), but through most of San Diego other, shorter palms predominate.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:09 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
What is the main difference between Philly row homes and Baltimore row homes?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3004...7i16384!8i8192

I'm sure there is probably something that people from there would quickly pick out, but I have a hard time telling the difference.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:40 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
What is the main difference between Philly row homes and Baltimore row homes?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3004...7i16384!8i8192

I'm sure there is probably something that people from there would quickly pick out, but I have a hard time telling the difference.
When I see the plain repetitive fronts on the row houses, especially steps but no porch or landing, I automatically think Baltimore, not Philadelphia.

For Philadelphia, the 2-story brick, narrow street, differing adjacent styles, many with porches, sticks with me more.

I'm sure there are twins in each city, but the Philadelphia style seems to predominate over endless blocks in different parts of Philadelphia.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:58 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
When I see the plain repetitive fronts on the row houses, especially steps but no porch or landing, I automatically think Baltimore, not Philadelphia.

For Philadelphia, the 2-story brick, narrow street, differing adjacent styles, many with porches, sticks with me more.

I'm sure there are twins in each city, but the Philadelphia style seems to predominate over endless blocks in different parts of Philadelphia.

Yeah Philly definitely has more variety in terms of rowhome styles I think than Baltimore's more standard cut. Also more overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City