Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 07:13 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

2am isn't an issue. I mean, 3am is ideal... But I went to college in Upstate with 13 bars/clubs side by side next to each other. You leave at 11:30pm and stay till 2. Then you grab food like Pizza, Chinese or Calzones and straddle back to your house.

I just give Boston a tough time because it's nightclub/good bar scene is bad. Like real bad. And Insomnia cookies in downtown crossing was fought by NIMBYS when they announced to stay open late.

But I'm glad Encore is 4am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 09:04 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
2am isn't an issue. I mean, 3am is ideal... But I went to college in Upstate with 13 bars/clubs side by side next to each other. You leave at 11:30pm and stay till 2. Then you grab food like Pizza, Chinese or Calzones and straddle back to your house.

I just give Boston a tough time because it's nightclub/good bar scene is bad. Like real bad. And Insomnia cookies in downtown crossing was fought by NIMBYS when they announced to stay open late.

A list of my frustrations with Boston and its fiefdoms ahem "neighborhood groups"

A new taco shop inside Emerson College asked for a 2 a.m. closing time. The city said no, and students aren’t happy.

"Only in Boston can a neighborhood association named after a neighborhood that doesn’t exist strong-arm a college into opposing a taco place that wants to stay open until 2 a.m. in a major student/tourist area. Exhibit 4,320 why I left"

The City that Always Sleeps: Think of the children, downtown residents group cries in battle against late-night tacos

Also, unlike the Winter Street Tasty Burger, which scaled back its own proposed 2 a.m. closing time in the face of opposition from Midtown-Park Plaza, El Jefe is not seeking an alcohol license.

But the Midtown-Park Plaza Neighborhood Association argued that the neighborhood where their six- and seven-figure condos sit is a potential hellhole when the sun goes down and that they were only thinking of the 1,000 freshmen in the Little Building in arguing 2 a.m. was just too late, and never mind that New York Pizza on Tremont Street is open until at least 1 a.m. - and 3 a.m.

Another ‘no’ for a Popeyes in Codman Square, December 2019

The Licensing Board last Thursday voted unanimously to deny a common victualler license for a Popeyes’ restaurant in Codman Square— effectively rejecting the fried-chicken chain’s latest bid to overcome pockets of neighborhood resistance that has blocked its opening since 2016.

The application for the license was denied “with prejudice,” a ruling that means that the restaurant chain will have to wait a year before filing another request before the board.

A day after the decision was made, board chairwoman Kathleen Joyce told the Reporter that she and other members were persuaded by testimony from residents opposed to the chain that Popeye’s has an “unhealthy menu.”
THIS IS IN THE HOOD!

Hyde Park Burger King wins city license; neighborhood groups split

"At a contentious hearing held on Zoom yesterday, mall developer Todd Finard said he first began looking for a restaurant for the mall more than 14 years ago, as his company tore down the long closed Bay State Paper mill to make way for the mall.

Finard said he tried his best to get a restaurant serving good food to open a sit-down restaurant, ideally one with outdoor seating and the like and that he spoke to "every conceivable restaurant operator I could find," even Bertucci's, the 99 and IHOP, but that none ever committed to opening there."

BECAUSE ITS IN THE HOOD

"But members of the Belnel Family Neighborhood Association, on the other side of the mall, vehemently opposed the proposal.

First, they slammed the mayor's office for failing to alert them to the idea of a Burger King until earlier this year.

But then they tore into the very idea of a Burger King, another fast-food joint in the middle of a predominantly black neighborhood, one that already struggles with obesity, diabetes and hypertension."

Marilynne Smith Quarcoo pointed to heavy traffic on River Street and said that in addition to the dietary issues, she objected to the restaurant's proposed midnight closing time - when the Burger King on Cummins Highway in Mattapan is only open until 8 p.m. Longer hours only increase the odds that the outlet will "criminalize more youth in our community, not even just youth because we know that adults are criminalized [as well]," she said.

An official at the Match school also urged the board to reject the proposed license, saying the school tries to get students to eat healthy, so the last thing they need is "another unhealthy food operation" in the neighborhood.

Resident Gladys Frias said, "We don't want kids congregating there when they should be in school or going home for the day." The nearest fast-food chain outlet to the site, a Subway shop, is 1.1 miles away.

They denied the burger King 2 am drive thru, pushing it back to midnight. Neighborhood groups are just as powerful as city councilors-if not more so in Boston. This clannishness/teritorialness is a legitimate detriment to the city. Especially its nightlife. You cant get a Popeyes open on a formerly boarded up store front. Forget about anything else. Especially in a high end area

Old 12-11-2020, 04:20 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I want to say that I get drinks right up until 2am in Boston. The energy in the building/ starts the wind down at 1:40/1:45, lights come on at 1:55, people are all out by 2:10.
funny shtuff; the end of the first episode of survivors remorse (starz) made that precise same joke.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:30 PM

117 posts, read 80,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

It's nice to have that 3 or 4am option, even if it's only rarely that you take advantage of it.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM

111 posts, read 93,182 times
1. Los Angeles
2. Philadelphia
3. San Francisco
4. Dallas
5. DC
6. Minneapolis
7. Boston

Old 07-15-2021, 06:11 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
It's nice to have that 3 or 4am option, even if it's only rarely that you take advantage of it.
you are right. I mean, Boston does have the Encore.. but nah. Still last place.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:48 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
A list of my frustrations with Boston and its fiefdoms ahem "neighborhood groups"

A new taco shop inside Emerson College asked for a 2 a.m. closing time. The city said no, and students aren’t happy.

"Only in Boston can a neighborhood association named after a neighborhood that doesn’t exist strong-arm a college into opposing a taco place that wants to stay open until 2 a.m. in a major student/tourist area. Exhibit 4,320 why I left"

The City that Always Sleeps: Think of the children, downtown residents group cries in battle against late-night tacos

Also, unlike the Winter Street Tasty Burger, which scaled back its own proposed 2 a.m. closing time in the face of opposition from Midtown-Park Plaza, El Jefe is not seeking an alcohol license.

But the Midtown-Park Plaza Neighborhood Association argued that the neighborhood where their six- and seven-figure condos sit is a potential hellhole when the sun goes down and that they were only thinking of the 1,000 freshmen in the Little Building in arguing 2 a.m. was just too late, and never mind that New York Pizza on Tremont Street is open until at least 1 a.m. - and 3 a.m.

Another ‘no’ for a Popeyes in Codman Square, December 2019

The Licensing Board last Thursday voted unanimously to deny a common victualler license for a Popeyes’ restaurant in Codman Square— effectively rejecting the fried-chicken chain’s latest bid to overcome pockets of neighborhood resistance that has blocked its opening since 2016.

The application for the license was denied “with prejudice,” a ruling that means that the restaurant chain will have to wait a year before filing another request before the board.

A day after the decision was made, board chairwoman Kathleen Joyce told the Reporter that she and other members were persuaded by testimony from residents opposed to the chain that Popeye’s has an “unhealthy menu.”
THIS IS IN THE HOOD!

Hyde Park Burger King wins city license; neighborhood groups split

"At a contentious hearing held on Zoom yesterday, mall developer Todd Finard said he first began looking for a restaurant for the mall more than 14 years ago, as his company tore down the long closed Bay State Paper mill to make way for the mall.

Finard said he tried his best to get a restaurant serving good food to open a sit-down restaurant, ideally one with outdoor seating and the like and that he spoke to "every conceivable restaurant operator I could find," even Bertucci's, the 99 and IHOP, but that none ever committed to opening there."

BECAUSE ITS IN THE HOOD

"But members of the Belnel Family Neighborhood Association, on the other side of the mall, vehemently opposed the proposal.

First, they slammed the mayor's office for failing to alert them to the idea of a Burger King until earlier this year.

But then they tore into the very idea of a Burger King, another fast-food joint in the middle of a predominantly black neighborhood, one that already struggles with obesity, diabetes and hypertension."

Marilynne Smith Quarcoo pointed to heavy traffic on River Street and said that in addition to the dietary issues, she objected to the restaurant's proposed midnight closing time - when the Burger King on Cummins Highway in Mattapan is only open until 8 p.m. Longer hours only increase the odds that the outlet will "criminalize more youth in our community, not even just youth because we know that adults are criminalized [as well]," she said.

An official at the Match school also urged the board to reject the proposed license, saying the school tries to get students to eat healthy, so the last thing they need is "another unhealthy food operation" in the neighborhood.

Resident Gladys Frias said, "We don't want kids congregating there when they should be in school or going home for the day." The nearest fast-food chain outlet to the site, a Subway shop, is 1.1 miles away.

They denied the burger King 2 am drive thru, pushing it back to midnight. Neighborhood groups are just as powerful as city councilors-if not more so in Boston. This clannishness/teritorialness is a legitimate detriment to the city. Especially its nightlife. You cant get a Popeyes open on a formerly boarded up store front. Forget about anything else. Especially in a high end area
Holy crap, all these rejections over late night closing times? That is ridiculous about the NIMBYism, some Bostonians are like with these business applications over liquor sale ending times. I have that feeling there wouldn't have been a rejection, if such a 2am liquor sale or closing time had been applied for in Providence, Hartford, or NYC.

And what's with rejecting Popeye's? That makes no darn sense, at all. Duh it's food may not be as healthy and more fried, but then why the heck is that person complaining about the menu at Popeye's in the first place? If one doesn't like the menu at Popeye's, eat somewhere else. Last I heard, it is still a free country, and one has the right to not eat at Popeye's if he/she isn't comfortable with their menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City