Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 05:50 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times

Advertisements

Savannah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 01:15 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
I don't get much of a connection between San Antonio and Nola/ Savannah. Wonder why somewhere like Richmond or Charleston wasn't chosen. Or Even Memphis. Those are better weekend trip places and more similar to NOLA.

I know remember the Alamo is catchy and dinner on the Riverwalk is cute but having lived in San Antonio is more like a work house city like Houston and Dallas than the charm of Savannah or NOLA for a weekend getaway. Nothing against SA but it isn't as similar to NOLA as Savannah so it's just hard for me to make the connection

Old 12-01-2020, 03:02 PM

35 posts, read 20,983 times
New Orleans is definitely more like Savannah than San Antonio, Galveston/Beaumont might be the only Texas cities somewhat similar to New Orleans.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:07 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Savannah definitely.

That said, San Antonio does have a kind of underrated historical urban core. I actually think it kind of looks similar to New Orleans, outside of the French quarter. Whereas Savannah is much smaller, San Antonio's downtown and core feels quite similarly sized to New Orleans.

Where the comparison breaks down:
  • No parts of San Antonio remind me of the most famous parts of New Orleans (namely the French Quarter).
  • The culture is not very similar. To the extent that New Orleans feels like the Caribbean, San Antonio feels like Northern Mexico.
  • While San Antonio's core is intact structurally, it feels a bit empty and dead outside of the Riverwalk. New Orleans is much more active.
  • As mentioned by another poster, San Antonio feels like a more utilitarian city to life live in. It is affordable with a fairly strong economy fast growth. New Orleans has more charm but is challenging to live in.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:58 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I don't get much of a connection between San Antonio and Nola/ Savannah. Wonder why somewhere like Richmond or Charleston wasn't chosen. Or Even Memphis. Those are better weekend trip places and more similar to NOLA.

I know remember the Alamo is catchy and dinner on the Riverwalk is cute but having lived in San Antonio is more like a work house city like Houston and Dallas than the charm of Savannah or NOLA for a weekend getaway. Nothing against SA but it isn't as similar to NOLA as Savannah so it's just hard for me to make the connection
Charleston Savanah and New Orleans are knows are the 3 sisters. All three cities are very similar. Of course new Orleans is the biggest and meanest(gritty). Charleston is the nicest (cleanest) and Savannah takes after her big sister Charleston.

I didn't make that up. I have heard multiple people especially on tours in the cities say that

Old 12-02-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Savannah definitely.

That said, San Antonio does have a kind of underrated historical urban core. I actually think it kind of looks similar to New Orleans, outside of the French quarter. Whereas Savannah is much smaller, San Antonio's downtown and core feels quite similarly sized to New Orleans.

Where the comparison breaks down:[list][*]No parts of San Antonio remind me of the most famous parts of New Orleans (namely the French Quarter).
To me its not just the quarter.
The surrounding neighborhoods too.
Areas like Treme and Marigny don't remind me of San Antonio at all.
You see fragmented versions all through the south east and in the south central as far as Houston/Galveston but not San Antonio.

Its not till you get to areas like the Garden District that you get similarities with San Antonio (like King William).
Mid City NOLA equivalent in San Antonio is probably the Monte Vista area of SA.

Uptown New Orleans I think it's really underrated.
Everyone talks about the quarter but I'm surprised with all the urbanophiles on here that Uptown isn't talked about more.
I don't think that Downtown SA is all that intact, but it's certainly more intact than the other big cities in Texas, but it's night and day compared to Uptown Nola.
Uptown in The other Texas cities feel rather office parkish. Uptown Nola feels more like a traditional northeast downtowns. I don't there's a version of Uptown Nola in San Antonio at all. Uptown Nola features very few empty/ surface lots. There's lots of office space, but also lots of residential so after 5 the streets don't go dead. The buildings often are adorned with beautiful facades. There are restaurants and groceries so you can walk to go about everyday life.

In summary I would say that SA is more similar to the Texas cities and don't share a lot with nola at all

Old 12-02-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
To me its not just the quarter.
The surrounding neighborhoods too.
Areas like Treme and Marigny don't remind me of San Antonio at all.
You see fragmented versions all through the south east and in the south central as far as Houston/Galveston but not San Antonio.

Its not till you get to areas like the Garden District that you get similarities with San Antonio (like King William).
Mid City NOLA equivalent in San Antonio is probably the Monte Vista area of SA.

Uptown New Orleans I think it's really underrated.
Everyone talks about the quarter but I'm surprised with all the urbanophiles on here that Uptown isn't talked about more.
I don't think that Downtown SA is all that intact, but it's certainly more intact than the other big cities in Texas, but it's night and day compared to Uptown Nola.
Uptown in The other Texas cities feel rather office parkish. Uptown Nola feels more like a traditional northeast downtowns. I don't there's a version of Uptown Nola in San Antonio at all. Uptown Nola features very few empty/ surface lots. There's lots of office space, but also lots of residential so after 5 the streets don't go dead. The buildings often are adorned with beautiful facades. There are restaurants and groceries so you can walk to go about everyday life.

In summary I would say that SA is more similar to the Texas cities and don't share a lot with nola at all
To be clear, I don't think of New Orleans and San Antonio being similar at all. I was just saying, if I was going to try to make an argument for San Antonio, it'd be focused on the CBD area, where San Antonio is a bit closer to being a peer to NOLA than is Savannah.

Uptown New Orleans is cute but to me it always felt residential, not at all like a downtown. The breadth of walkable neighborhoods in New Orleans easily outclasses any city in Texas, but I don't know that Uptown stands out that much to me individually. Most of San Antonio has a pretty forgettable freeway, big box, SFH type of layout, and the day to day life in the two cities feels very different to me. (New Orleans and Savannah both did a much better job of preserving the historic feel of the city).

Old 12-02-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Uptown New Orleans is cute but to me it always felt residential, not at all like a downtown. b
Are we thinking of the same Uptown? Cause there are other definitions. Some people consider Uptown as that area around the Garden District.
To me the area I consider Uptown NOLA is more like a downtown than Downtown NOLA.

To be clear, I think of downtown as the Quarter and Uptown as that area across canal from the quarter.
That are is where all the offices are so I'm surprised that you are saying is primarily residential. In Uptown you find the oil offices like Shell, the bank offices, etc. To me Uptown is far more office than residential but still has a ton of residential. Downtown/ Quarter is more residential with touristy streets like Bourbon, Royal, Frenchman, Decatur, etc.

To me Uptown NOLA is more what northeastern posters would consider a downtown than pretty much any other downtown south of Virginia. Uptown NOLA feels more like an urban downtown than Downtown SA, Downtown NOLA, or Downtown Savannah. The streets off the main drags, away from the newer skyscrapers are my favorite parts.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Are we thinking of the same Uptown?
Uptown NOLA is more like a downtown than Downtown NOLA.

To be clear, I think if downtown as the Quarter and Uptown as that area across canal from the quarter.
That are is where all the offices are so I'm surprised that you are saying is primarily residential. In Uptown you find the oil offices like Shell, the bank offices, etc. To me Uptown is far more office than residential but still has a ton of residential. Downtown/ Quarter is more residential with touristy streets like Bourbon, Royal, Frenchman, Decatur, etc.

To me Uptown NOLA is more what northeastern posters would consider a downtown than pretty much any other downtown south of Virginia. Uptown NOLA feels more like an urban downtown than Downtown SA, Downtown NOLA, or Downtown Savannah. The streets off the main drags, away from the newer skyscrapers are my favorite parts.
I've only been a tourist in New Orleans, not a resident, but I always understood Uptown to be the area by Tulane?... That's what I was referring to.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I've only been a tourist in New Orleans, not a resident, but I always understood Uptown to be the area by Tulane?... That's what I was referring to.
Gotcha. That's the more common association with Uptown nowadays.
I use the more traditional view.
Traditionally downtown was downriver from canal while Uptown was upriver.

I get what you are saying now.
Yes that area is more residential,but I was speaking of another area.
The CBD is what I consider Uptown.
That area is highly underrated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City