Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 10:47 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh? Cambridge is absolutely part of Boston for this discussion. It’s 364.4 Smoots and an ear over the bridge. If you can take the T to it, it’s Boston.
The obvious MA counterpart to New Haven is Cambridge, period. Why exclude the Boston area from the comparison--because it's too favorable to Massachusetts? New Haven might come off well next to Cambridge--it's certainly more affordable, high rents aren't as ruinous to local businesses as in Cambridge, NH has excellent (for the US) railway service, the collegiate gothic Yale architecture may be more imposing and romantic than Harvard's homespun early American look, the Yale museums may have more to offer, the New Haven Green beats Cambridge Common, the pizza has no parallel, steamed hamburgers...

Hartford loses in its Boston matchup except that it offers a metropolitan economy and all the amenities that go with that at much lower cost than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 10:52 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
The obvious MA counterpart to New Haven is Cambridge, period. Why exclude the Boston area from the comparison--because it's too favorable to Massachusetts? New Haven might come off well next to Cambridge--it's certainly more affordable, high rents aren't as ruinous to local businesses as in Cambridge, NH has excellent (for the US) railway service, the collegiate gothic Yale architecture may be more imposing and romantic than Harvard's homespun early American look, the Yale museums may have more to offer, the New Haven Green beats Cambridge Common, the pizza has no parallel, steamed hamburgers...

Hartford loses in its Boston matchup except that it offers a metropolitan economy and all the amenities that go with that at much lower cost than Boston.
New Haven faces a(deserved) bad reputation and in my opinion, subconscious racial bias. It’s a wonderful city. We’re is located where New Bedford is (in MA not CT)-it’d be thriving.

Hartford suburbs are in generally more practical and well manicured than Boston’s imo, but just slightly. It doesn’t really have urbanized suburbs aside from East Hartford. Add to this it has much less traffic and a stellar income:housing ratio and traffic is generally reasonable (still an obstacle though). It has some nice benefits .

Old 12-03-2020, 11:06 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I wanted to respond to this one:

What happened to make you dislike Lawrence so much? I think it's vibrant enough (with lots of great mom and pop stores and restaurants) to be ahead of at least Taunton and Fitchburg.

And the thing I like most about Haverhill is that it might be (?) the only MA city to annex/agglomerate with its suburb(s). Like, let's be real: Bradford would be more like North Andover if it could. Likewise, Lawrence might be as nice as Haverhill if North Andover were its neighborhood rather than its neighbor.

Lawrence has amazing architecture. Like out of this world nice and pretty cool downtown. But Lawrence has nj vibes.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:26 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Lawrence has amazing architecture. Like out of this world nice and pretty cool downtown. But Lawrence has nj vibes.

I’d counter with:

Downtown Lawrence is dead and the city has some of the absolute worst and laziest bastardizations of the triple decker you’ll ever see.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:37 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Connecticut has a much more standard and melodious American English accent than anywhere in Massachusetts, save Berkshire County. The urban accents in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are, quite possibly, the most grating and unintelligible in all of America.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:34 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’d counter with:

Downtown Lawrence is dead and the city has some of the absolute worst and laziest bastardizations of the triple decker you’ll ever see.
I'm talking about the warehouses downtown. Or the old textile factories on the Merrimack.

Outside that, is why I rated it a 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City