Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The quality of the experience in shopping matters. I wouldn’t say Boston lacks many brands except for the top top brands stand alone store. Not many thing you can’t find in Boston. Boston may not have a Prada store but you can find it in Saks. And the pedestrian experience is second only to NYC. Clean, upscale and conceits to high end hotels, the public garden and theatre district.

Rolex is opening their largest North American showroom in Boston next month, to do that despite NYC being 4hours away is impressive https://luxurylaunches.com/watches/t...-in-boston.php. Also Boston has nice suburban malls as well.

NYC
LA
MIAMI
CHICAGO
SF
VEGAS
BOSTON
DALLAS
HOUSTON
DC
The problem with that is, that’s a big issue. Especially these days. People would prefer go to the Prada store than to buy the same thing at a Neiman Marcus. Sake Fifth Ave seems to be the only major department store addressing this issue with their new “mall inside a mall” concept. That’s why Boston is as low as it is on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Are we talking city proper or metro?

City of Philadelphia shopping is abysmal, especially for a city of its size. Metro is right where it should be with its retail offerings, in line with other major metros.

As far as true downtown (walk-able) shopping districts with the best and most offerings...

1. New York (by far)
2. Chicago
3. LA
4/5. Boston or San Francisco
6. Miami
7. Vegas
8. DC

Houston, Dallas, Atlanta don't offer as much walk-ability, and I may be wrong, but I believe they fall in line with Philadelphia where the best and most high-end options are largely in the burbs not the "city" or at least "downtown"?

(I don't know much on Honolulu to comment).
Houston’s best is in River Oaks. Atlanta’s best is in Buckhead. Dallas best is in Highland Park. Of these, only Dallas is technically outside of city limits, but Highland Park is more of a neighborhoods. Small city fairly close to Downtown.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:53 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Houston’s best is in River Oaks. Atlanta’s best is in Buckhead. Dallas best is in Highland Park. Of these, only Dallas is technically outside of city limits, but Highland Park is more of a neighborhoods. Small city fairly close to Downtown.
I suppose when it comes to *ONLY* high-end boutiques, that's true.

As far as an actual high-end mall shopping experience, that would be Northpark and the Galleria (both in Dallas proper).

Old 12-02-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I suppose when it comes to *ONLY* high-end boutiques, that's true.

As far as an actual high-end mall shopping experience, that would be Northpark and the Galleria (both in Dallas proper).
Exactly.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:57 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
The problem with that is, that’s a big issue. Especially these days. People would prefer go to the Prada store than to buy the same thing at a Neiman Marcus. Sake Fifth Ave seems to be the only major department store addressing this issue with their new “mall inside a mall” concept. That’s why Boston is as low as it is on my list.
Even if that's true that people would prefer to buy Prada at Prada over Saks- it's just a few exceptionally high-end brands (like Rick Owens) and people aren't going to every store on any given outings. What's more important is how you feel when your buying/shopping.

Most folks i know (including myself one time )have gone to NYC to shop for brands at lower prices foor like back-to-school shopping or maybe to get that one photoshoot or one clothing item you cant get in Boston. Which some might count as a geographic plus. Can't do that in Houston if there's not a store there that you want.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Even if that's true that people would prefer to buy Prada at Prada over Saks- it's just a few exceptionally high-end brands (like Rick Owens) and people aren't going to every store on any given outings. What's more important is how you feel when your buying/shopping.

Most folks i know (including myself one time )have gone to NYC to shop for brands at lower prices foor like back-to-school shopping or maybe to get that one photoshoot or one clothing item you cant get in Boston. Which some might count as a geographic plus. Can't do that in Houston if there's not a store there that you want.
So you’re judging Boston’s shopping scene by how close it is to NY? That’s weird

Old 12-02-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
So you’re judging Boston’s shopping scene by how close it is to NY? That’s weird
True, weird. But it is a nice thing to have access to. I wouldn't say it's a negative but maybe not a positive either.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:30 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
The DFW area has a good bit of high-end stores. FW has Clear Fork, Central Dallas & Highland Park, NorthPark Center, Galleria Dallas and now Plano is growing their luxury offerings as well.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:53 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
If we are truly talking exclusive high end brands in high end destinations the following meet my criteria from a male buying perspective:

Kiton, Brioni, Berluti, Canali, and Richard Mille

These 5 brands have select standalone boutiques in but a few cities--not dozens (and I'm not talking about smaller, limited selections in high end department store chains--standalone boutiques only).

The following cities have standalone boutiques from these 5 marquis mens fashion brands:

NYC and Miami: All 5 brands represented (NYC has multiple Kiton and Canali stores; Miami has multiple Kiton and Brioni stores).
LA and Las Vegas: 4 brands (LA has multiple Berluti stores)
SF, Houston, and DC: 2 brands
Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Seattle: 1 brand

Surprised LA does not have Kiton; Vegas does not have Canali; SF does not have Brioni or Canali; Chicago does not have Kiton, Brioni or Canali; DC does not have Kiton.

There was a separate thread asking which were the most fashion conscious cities in the US....would it be fair to say that for men NYC, Miami, LA and Vegas are the top cities for that??...I cannot speak much for women's fashion or hip hop--just high end.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-02-2020 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-02-2020, 03:05 PM

Outside of just close but into accessories.

Bang and Olufsen high-end audio and speakers. Only has retail stores in LA Miami NYC Scottsdale and Boston.

Can anyone else think of high-end retail outside of clothes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City