Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2023, 11:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times

Advertisements

Taschen’s official stores appear to be

LA - Beverly Hills, Hollywood
Miami - South Beach
New York - Meatpacking District

Which are the big 3 markets so it adds up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 08:08 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Eataly, an exclusive grocer founded in Italy, can be found in only 8 north American cities:
NYC
Boston
Toronto
LA
SF Bay area
Dallas
Chicago
Vegas

Beratta arms, a 500 year old arms maker, has only two galleries in north America - NYC and Dallas.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:22 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Eataly, an exclusive grocer founded in Italy, can be found in only 8 north American cities:
NYC
Boston
Toronto
LA
SF Bay area
Dallas
Chicago
Vegas
Ive been to the Eataly in São Paulo but ironically never to any US location.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:34 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Eataly is coming to Miami, probably +/- late 2025 upon completion of construction, expanding to their 44 outposts worldwide in 15 countries. We have a smaller, similar concept already here at Brickell City Centre: Casa Tua.

https://www.condoblackbook.com/blog/...re-foot-space/

Thomas Keller, the only US chef to operate two 3 star Michelin restaurants, is in only 4 US metros: SF Bay Area (Napa), NYC, Las Vegas and Miami.

The late Joel Robuchon has earned the most Michelin stars of any chef, 31, and has restaurants in only 2 US locations: Las Vegas and Miami.

Massimo Bottura, who operates a 3 star Michelin restaurant in Modena, Italy that was twice voted best restaurant in The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, has one location in the US, Beverly Hills, but recently announced plans to open a second US restaurant in Miami.

We all know about NYC and SF (Ducasse, etc) and their many great restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
NYC
Boston
Toronto
LA
SF Bay area
Dallas
Chicago
Vegas

Beratta arms, a 500 year old arms maker, has only two galleries in north America - NYC and Dallas.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-04-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-04-2023, 08:37 AM

I’ve been to the one in NYC Flatiron, not bad but far from best I’ve had….will be in São Paulo next month and might check out the Eataly there but prefer more independent, better restaurants in that city as they have the best Italian food I’ve eaten anywhere outside of Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ive been to the Eataly in São Paulo but ironically never to any US location.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-04-2023 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-04-2023, 09:02 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Eataly is an oversized, overpriced tourist trap. I remember when it first opened in NYC a long time ago. Never impressed. I know several real old school Italian delis/salumerias in NJ and NY that put it to shame for a fraction of the price.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:13 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
One of the biggest department stores in Paris, Printemps (the other one is Galeries Lafayette but my favorite is le Bon Marche.) will have its first U.S store in NYC in One Wall St in Financial District, targeted in mid-2024.

Founded in 1865, this is Printemps’ first expansion its global market in the U.S, the only other outpost outside Paris is in Doha. (The Milan outpost has been on hold due to the pandemic.)

The U.S Printemps CEO will be Laura Lendrum, who was previous the North American CEO of Saint Laurent, Gucci and Ralph Lauren.

The time for the U.S retail market has been trying. Barney’s New York, the beloved, iconic retailer to anyone who’s who, who’s known for innovation and modern, crisp clean-cut aesthetics, closed its stores in 2020. (I was devastated.) Neiman Marcus filed for bankruptcy in 2020, and closed the store in Hudson Yard after just one year.

From personal experiences I’m very impressed with the luxury retailers in London. I shopped online around the same time from these three stores: Neiman Marcus, Liberty London and Harrods London. I received the deliveries from both Liberty and Harrods within 2-3 days, one of which had a tiny damage from the DHL delivery (it was an Italian hand blown tumbler with a crack around the rim.) that I contacted Liberty.-within less than 24 hrs I had a brand new tumbler delivered to me (while keeping the original one.) with the sweetest, personal note from the head of the department.

Meanwhile it took Neiman Marcus almost 2 weeks.-I could have gone to London and come back.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:21 AM

Seems like those who could bypassed US outposts of high end luxury European brands and flew to London, Paris and Milan to buy the same goods there thanks to a stronger dollar this past holiday season:

https://fashionunited.com/news/retai.../2022121251183

Old 02-04-2023, 09:46 AM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Seems like those who could bypassed US outposts of high end luxury European brands and flew to London, Paris and Milan to buy the same goods there thanks to a stronger dollar this past holiday season:

https://fashionunited.com/news/retai.../2022121251183
That’s me. I go to Paris (my Mom’s side still lives there.) twice a year at least. Strong dollars, more choices, (sometimes) different stocks (because the U.S markets have different buyers and regional preferences.) and in Paris when you spend more than €100 a day you get the V.A.T (it’s called T.V.A in French.) refund.

Mostly I am there to find brands that have not yet available in the U.S. I prefer one-of-the-kind, bespoken pieces. And hard-to-find vintages.

We usually do London/Paris for two weeks, Eurostar made it very easy. Next time will be early May, my husband found one of the best record stores in the world in le Marais, that’s all he cares.

I think even without strong dollar people still will flock to Europe. I have a few friends literally just dropped everything and moved to Europe in the past 2 yrs. I would have done that if it weren’t for my husband’s work. Paris is the city I truly want to live. (the weather is awful in Paris, overcast and cold, but I guess when you live in Paris who cares about the weather?!)

Old 02-04-2023, 10:37 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Eataly is an oversized, overpriced tourist trap. I remember when it first opened in NYC a long time ago. Never impressed. I know several real old school Italian delis/salumerias in NJ and NY that put it to shame for a fraction of the price.
Agree. I miss the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia (I live in NYC now). Now that is a unique market only found in 1 city.

I live 10 minutes from Eataly Flat Iron and never stop in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
That’s me. I go to Paris (my Mom’s side still lives there.) twice a year at least. Strong dollars, more choices, (sometimes) different stocks (because the U.S markets have different buyers and regional preferences.) and in Paris when you spend more than €100 a day you get the V.A.T (it’s called T.V.A in French.) refund.

I think even without strong dollar people still will flock to Europe. I have a few friends literally just dropped everything and moved to Europe in the past 2 yrs. I would have done that if it weren’t for my husband’s work. Paris is the city I truly want to live. (the weather is awful in Paris, overcast and cold, but I guess when you live in Paris who cares about the weather?!)
Shopping in France and Italy is great. I save a list of clothes to buy when I visit Europe . Amazing selections in Paris, Rome, Milan, lower prices, and VAT refund. Saves 30%+ vs. shopping in New York.

Although I would never want to live in Paris. New York is better (my preference ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City