Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2023, 07:19 PM

44 posts, read 29,474 times

Advertisements

Seems Vancouver (by a steep margin) and Toronto (Eaton) were the only profitable Canadian stores.

Quote:
Before the pandemic, there were signs that Nordstrom was struggling in Canada. Retail Insider was provided sales numbers for Nordstrom’s Canadian stores in 2019 and it was becoming apparent that there were challenges. While the Vancouver store’s sales were strong in the $300 million range annually, the other five stores failed to meet targets — although the CF Toronto Eaton Centre locations was said to be selling in excess of $100 million annually, which wasn’t bad. Still, things didn’t look good when most of the luxury brands exited Nordstrom’s Toronto stores — at CF Toronto Eaton Centre, almost all of the luxury brand bag/accessory shop-in-stores on the main floor shuttered during the pandemic, as did almost all of the luxury women’s boutiques on the third floor. At Toronto’s Yorkdale, Nordstrom has maintained most of the luxury brand shops for bags on its main floor, though almost all of the luxury shops for women’s ready-to-wear had shut before the end of 2022. Brokers in the know had commented on how the neighbouring Canada Goose store at Yorkdale was doing higher sales than the much larger Nordstrom location in the mall.

A recent visit to the Vancouver Nordstrom store showed a well-stocked flagship with a substantial amount of luxury offerings for women and men, as well as a robust offering of luxury brand bags and footwear. The Vancouver store is the only Nordstrom in Canada to see such an expansive assortment of brands and it’s also one of the most luxury-heavy in the chain, and has been said to be the company’s top-selling store in recent years.
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ut-all-stores/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 07:26 PM

44 posts, read 29,474 times
Supreme debuts new LA flagship

https://hypebeast.com/2023/2/supreme...llywood-photos

Kith opens second Miami store

https://kith.com/blogs/news/kith-mia...trict-flagship

Old 03-03-2023, 08:21 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
The Nordstrom Canada numbers must have been bad. Really bad especially given they are closing Nordstrom Rack which is their bread and butter these days.
Nordstrom has always been a funny store to me. I don't consider it a luxury dept store in the general sense but its certainly a high-end store. But I am also biased/from the Northeast and Nordstrom didn't enter my market until the 90s. When it came people were so excited and I remember my mother (an avid shopper) being unimpressed.

It's often put on the same level with Bloomingdale's but I feel like Bloomimgdale's best stores beat Nordstrom by a mile whereas a bad local Bloomingdale's will be inferior to a Nordstrom in the same shopping center.
I agree. It’s pretty hard to rank Nordstrom

Old 03-03-2023, 08:32 PM

497 posts, read 352,315 times
Quote:
The Nordstrom Canada numbers must have been bad. Really bad especially given they are closing Nordstrom Rack which is their bread and butter these days.
Nordstrom has always been a funny store to me. I don't consider it a luxury dept store in the general sense but its certainly a high-end store. But I am also biased/from the Northeast and Nordstrom didn't enter my market until the 90s. When it came people were so excited and I remember my mother (an avid shopper) being unimpressed.

It's often put on the same level with Bloomingdale's but I feel like Bloomingdale's best stores beat Nordstrom by a mile whereas a bad local Bloomingdale's will be inferior to a Nordstrom in the same shopping center.
Pretty accurate. The Bloomingdale flagship store in NYC is certainly way more luxurious than the Nordstrom flagship in NYC, but some smaller local Bloomingdales are pretty mass-market and barely high-end, whereas smaller local Nordstrom stores are still mostly high-end.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:05 PM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:

It's often put on the same level with Bloomingdale's but I feel like Bloomimgdale's best stores beat Nordstrom by a mile whereas a bad local Bloomingdale's will be inferior to a Nordstrom in the same shopping center.
Neiman Marcus laps both, but there are fewer N-M stores. One of them is in King of Prussia in the Philadelphia area.

I don't know where to put Holt Renfrew on this scale as I've never been inside one. But if the comment about it above is any guide, it may well be in a completely different lane on the high-end highway — one that's uniquely Canadian. I doubt that any US chain could emulate that Canadian-ness.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:07 PM

497 posts, read 352,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Neiman Marcus laps both, but there are fewer N-M stores. One of them is in King of Prussia in the Philadelphia area.

I don't know where to put Holt Renfrew on this scale as I've never been inside one. But if the comment about it above is any guide, it may well be in a completely different lane on the high-end highway — one that's uniquely Canadian. I doubt that any US chain could emulate that Canadian-ness.
Holt Renfrew Ogilvy in Montreal is pretty luxurious...

Old 03-05-2023, 11:06 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
there was an actual Bally store on Union Square back in the 1990s. these brands seem to come and go...
The smaller brands come and go. The big big names are here to stay.

Louis Vuitton
Gucci
Prada
Hermes
Cartier
Dior
Chanel
Burberry
Tiffany’s
Rolex
BULGARI
Fendi
Versace
Armani?
Breitling?
Dolce & Gabbana?
Balenciaga???

Who else? Maybe Moncler? Alexander McQueen?

Other just as luxury (if not more) brands such as Kiton are just as luxury but given their smaller scale, are more prone to coming and going.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:36 PM

325 posts, read 204,744 times
Not that this is anything crazy in the national scheme of things, but San Antonio is *finally* getting a Lamborghini dealership. 41,000 sqft seems massive, especially compared to the one in Austin (Austin is 6800 sqft, Lamborghini Dallas is 15,000), so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hybrid, possibly with Bentley/Rolls Royce/Aston Martin... something like that.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/itali...arket-31206297

Old 03-10-2023, 06:17 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The smaller brands come and go. The big big names are here to stay.

Louis Vuitton
Gucci
Prada
Hermes
Cartier
Dior
Chanel
Burberry
Tiffany’s
Rolex
BULGARI
Fendi
Versace
Armani?
Breitling?
Dolce & Gabbana?
Balenciaga???

Who else? Maybe Moncler? Alexander McQueen?

Other just as luxury (if not more) brands such as Kiton are just as luxury but given their smaller scale, are more prone to coming and going.
Add Saint Laurent, Van Cleef, Bottega Veneta, Loro Piana, Valentino, Givenchy, and Jimmy Choo. And maybe a few others.

And Giorgio Armani, Alexander McQueen and Balenciaga are definitely here to stay.

And Valentino and Balenciaga are among the oldest fashion houses, and every major fashion house has had its ups and downs over the years).

Last edited by cpomp; 03-10-2023 at 06:27 AM..

Old 03-10-2023, 06:33 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Add Saint Laurent, Van Cleef, Bottega Veneta, Loro Piana, Valentino, Givenchy, and Jimmy Choo. And maybe a few others.

And Giorgio Armani, Alexander McQueen and Balenciaga are definitely here to stay.

And Valentino and Balenciaga are among the oldest fashion houses, and every major fashion house has had its ups and downs over the years).
This was prompted by a comment about Bally of Switzerland, which AFAICT hasn't "come and gone" either — it's a long-established name in footwear and accessories. I'd say it too belongs on this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City