Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2023, 10:59 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
For a "shopping experience", I avoid malls. Personally, I have no reason to ever travel outside of Chicago for shopping. I could if I chose to, but Chicago provides everything I could ever need or want. Most people, now, shop with their phones and computers...hence, the death of many malls.
KofP is what it is because of where it is within the Philadelphia region.

It's not that the city lacks affluent neighborhoods; Center City is home to two of the three most affluent in the city, with MHIs in the six figures (and the second digit is somewhere around 5).

It's just that the serious money resides on the Main Line. And KofP is closer to it than Walnut Street is. So Walnut Street has drifted from the "luxury retail" category into the "upscale retail" one by and large (though it now contains many brands that appeal to a younger demographic, IMO a positive sign) while the luxury retailers have all flocked to KofP.

That mall, btw, is all things to all people, a rarity. Jimmy Choo and Primark can both be found there, though you have to walk for a bit to get from one to the other. It also contains a DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse, an off-price retailer) and a Brooks Brothers (upscale but not luxury) in close proximity.

(Confession: I LOVES me some Brooks Brothers! But my income tells me I have to go to the outlet in Philadelphia Mills rather than the mainline store on Walnut Street. My explanation for Brooks Brothers' enduring popularity: "Their clothes never go out of fashion because they were never in fashion to begin with." Then the company has the nerve to stage a runway show in Milan to celebrate its 200th birthday in 2018.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 12:20 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Many brands moved to SJ after all the looting in SF back in 2020
unfortunately this appears to be a national trend...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pen-in-suburbs

Old 03-26-2023, 02:09 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
For a "shopping experience", I avoid malls. Personally, I have no reason to ever travel outside of Chicago for shopping. I could if I chose to, but Chicago provides everything I could ever need or want. Most people, now, shop with their phones and computers...hence, the death of many malls.
Downtown Chicago has awesome shopping, (even though some of it is in malls). But I also prefer main streets or urban shopping districts vs. malls. But a lot of America's high-end shopping is in malls, and those malls remain popular because of that. The average middle class mall is mostly dead these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Not sure how accurate this is if the Ala Mona Center in Honolulu isn’t on the list? It’s the largest outdoor mall in the world, and one of the most successful.

From Wikipedia

“Ala Moana is consistently ranked among the most successful malls in the world. With assets totaling $5.74 billion as of January 2018, it is the most valuable shopping mall in the United States.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala_Moana_Center
Yea, Ala Moana is ~2.4M sf and a top 5 (at least) mall for real estate value and sales volume.

It is usually some combination of Ala Moana, Sawgrass Mills, King of Prussia, Aventura, South Coast Plaza, Galleria, and a few others.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:25 PM

496 posts, read 351,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Downtown Chicago has awesome shopping, (even though some of it is in malls). But I also prefer main streets or urban shopping districts vs. malls. But a lot of America's high-end shopping is in malls, and those malls remain popular because of that. The average middle class mall is mostly dead these days.

Yea, Ala Moana is ~2.4M sf and a top 5 (at least) mall for real estate value and sales volume.

It is usually some combination of Ala Moana, Sawgrass Mills, King of Prussia, Aventura, South Coast Plaza, Galleria, and a few others.
NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, and Miami are probably the only ones with urban, walkable, street-level luxury shopping areas.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:45 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, and Miami are probably the only ones with urban, walkable, street-level luxury shopping areas.
And Boston.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And Boston.
right omg can't believe i forgot boston

Old 03-26-2023, 04:38 PM

9,863 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
With the news that a lot of the luxury retail started moving to San Jose, how’s San Jose’s urban retail in comparison?

Old 03-26-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
With the news that a lot of the luxury retail started moving to San Jose, how’s San Jose’s urban retail in comparison?
San Jose's top 2 high end shopping destinations are both malls: Stanford Shopping Center and Valley Fair.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:01 PM

Honolulu has very high end shopping on very busy Kalakaua Avenue in Wikiki

Old 03-26-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
typical American mall experience...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City