Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 02:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,247,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree. Which is why Saks closed their 2 Dallas stores because of competition with Neimans, but Nordstrom does well here.
That's interesting because in Beverly Hills Saks and Neimans are next door to each other on Wilshire Blvd. and both do extremely well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 02:06 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
That's interesting because in Beverly Hills Saks and Neimans are next door to each other on Wilshire Blvd. and both do extremely well.
Dallas is a different beast.

Neiman Marcus is based there (flagship store is in downtown Dallas), so the brand loyalty is fierce. That's why there are 4 stores throughout the Metroplex.

It's sort of similar to the brand loyalty Florida residents have for Publix, and why it's so difficult for other grocery chains to break into that market.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:07 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
I don't think Nordstrom carries Tommy Bahama anymore. When I worked there we carried men's clothing like Gant, Canali, Gucci, Versace, Zanella, Burberry, John Varvatos and others. Top Shop stuff is crap. Also these days when these department stores open new stores they're much smaller with far less merchandise. I like the older, bigger Nordstrom stores like DT Seattle, Michigan Avenue, Northpark Dallas, Southcoast Plaza, Tysons Corner and Houston Galleria. The newer smaller ones are crap.

At Saks we were on another level with Brioni, Kiton, Giorgio Armani, Isaia, Zegna, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Charvet just to name a few.

Nordstrom has kind of down branded itself since you worked there.

Nordstrom carries TopShop.

It is a fun brand for the teens. But it is nothing more than a glorified H & M.

Nordstrom does indeed have this in their stores.

Are you talking about their outlet stores?? Because that is also where they are kind of off branding themselves.

The Nordstrom Rack stores are definitely down market and kind of draining the brand a bit.

Bloomingdale's is definitely above Nordstrom. Not on the level of Saks, but above Nordstrom by all means.

The Nordstrom at the King of Prussia Mall is the highest grossing in the Northeast. I have been and yes they sell Top Shop and other no name discount brand clothing to meet margins.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:07 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree. Which is why Saks closed their 2 Dallas stores because of competition with Neimans, but Nordstrom does well here.
Just above every metro with 2+ million people has a Nordstrom.

There's nothing exclusive about it like Bloomingdales or Saks.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

I agree 100%. Nordstrom has decided to down market and offer anything from TopShop to $29 dollar dresses to Cole Haan shoes. It is all over the place. And in no way exclusive as it once was.

Bloomies is definitely more exclusive and has better brands.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I agree 100%. Nordstrom has decided to down market and offer anything from TopShop to $29 dollar dresses to Cole Haan shoes. It is all over the place. And in no way exclusive as it once was.

Bloomies is definitely more exclusive and has better brands.
I still don't think so. Bloomingdales sales Cole Haan shoes. Bloomingdales sales their own brand of clothing which isn't high quality either. Their men's dress shirts retail for $98 but 90 percent of the time you can get them for under $30. I only see Bloomingdale's as trendier but not higher end. Even the Seattle Nordstrom has a beautiful Chanel Boutique in the store. I think Nordstrom has a much better selection of women's and mens higher end shoes. I even think their jewelry dept is higher end.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I still don't think so. Bloomingdales sales Cole Haan shoes. Bloomingdales sales their own brand of clothing which isn't high quality either. Their men's dress shirts retail for $98 but 90 percent of the time you can get them for under $30. I only see Bloomingdale's as trendier but not higher end. Even the Seattle Nordstrom has a beautiful Chanel Boutique in the store. I think Nordstrom has a much better selection of women's and mens higher end shoes. I even think their jewelry dept is higher end.
I will always be a Bloomies girl. Unless you want Tommy Bahama or Top Shop. Go to Nordstrom. lol

My point with Cole Haan was to say. Nordstrom sells $29 dollar dresses next to Cole Haan shoes.

Bloomingdales does not do that.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I will always be a Bloomies girl. Unless you want Tommy Bahama or Top Shop. Go to Nordstrom. lol

My point with Cole Haan was to say. Nordstrom sells $29 dollar dresses next to Cole Haan shoes.

Bloomingdales does not do that.
Bloomingdale's has their cheapy stuff too though. And it's always on some sale rack tossed in the corner. Then when their every week sales comes around it's discounted even more! Oh yeah G-Star, Kooples for the trendy kids. No more high-end than Tommy Bahama. And you would actually be surprised who buys the Tommy Bahama merchandise.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:43 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco

Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

I was just referring to it doing well because it’s a totally different type of store than NM. A lot of markets only have 1 maybe 2 Nordstrom stores. DFW has had up to 4 until recently when one closed, but another is rumored to open in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City