Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 10:37 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not really saying they’re wrong I just don’t see a place like river oaks or highland park as a destination. It sound boring, it’s suburban and it’s really new. To Dallas and Vegas’ credit they have longstanding traditions and reputations for high end shopping. Houston really doesn’t.

Newbury street and the like are more where you’re going to see them as a visitor and more visually interesting and very likely more well known-thus more of a destination. Is it going to be as much of a destination as south beach or 5th Ave? No but..I never said it was. But it’s as close as you will get and not be there.

Again with Seaport, yes the yachts and ocean views are spectacular for dining but shopping, I think, is an afterthought. A lot of people in Boston/from Boston dislike the seaport because it’s viewed as garish tacky and inaccessible.
You realize Highland Park is in Dallas no? just making sure you’re not getting confused. And if what you’re saying is right about Vegas and Dallas… Boston doesn’t have that reputation. While suburban portions of South Florida do to an even higher degree. What does that tell you? Are people shopping in these places because they’re urban in fabric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 10:38 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The Bal Harbour Shops are far less urban in design than Newbury St but neither Boston nor Houston nor Dallas have a place in the argument for where people prefer to shop

Bal harbour still has a gorgeous setting. You’re just overlooking setting way too much for me, it doesn’t make sense. It wouldn’t hit the same in Hialeah or homestead

Old 09-19-2021, 10:41 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Bal harbour still has a gorgeous setting. You’re just overlooking setting way too much for me, it doesn’t make sense. It wouldn’t hit the same in Hialeah
No I’m not overlooking setting. I understand it. That’s why any shopping district in south Florida dwarf what Texas or Boston has to offer. It is about setting yes just mot about urbanity. Boston isn’t in the same argument as the Miami’s and NYC’s. That’s why it’s not seen in the same light as them despite its great urban districts.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
How would you rank the cities with the best high end shopping? My take.

1. NYC - No question here. They're home to the flagship of just about all big brands.

2. LA - Second only to NYC. Destinations like Beverly Hills and South Coast Plaza.

3. Miami
4. Vegas - These two are obvious after NYC and LA.

5. Chicago - Has been quiet as of late in attracting new brands, but it's history makes it just round the top 5

6-8 - Houston, Dallas, San Francisco - Close call between there, can make the case for either. All have destinations and carry most of the boutiques you'll find. Houston and Dallas aren't particularly known for being shopping destinations, but both are severely underrated shopping cities with most of the boutiques you'll find there.

9-11. Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta - One would think of Boston being higher here, but they lack so many brands as compared all the cities listed above. My theory is being so close to NYC, and the shopping capital of the world. Still, enough going to be top 10.

Honorable mention: Aspen. For a small town that relies fully on tourism, their high end shopping scene has a lot to say.

Note: These are shopping cities, not fashion impact. The terms seem to be confused often. Atlanta would be much higher here, were that what was being ranked.
Quote:
I touched a nerve? I gave my opinion and you went sort of wild with it. Thread is best high end shopping destinations. Not place with the most high end stores. Two very different things.

The snobbery and elitism is definitely warranted. This entire thread is based in various forms of snobbery and elitism. So idk how you’re gonna be mad about that lol.
No Ma'am, you added that destination part. BTW you are arguing with the OP. I quoted him because clearly you are putting words in his mouth.

Look at me, we don't have as much High End shopping, but it's OK what we have is downtown so that makes up for it.

Maybe the nerve touched is the ranking of Boston in the OP?I don't have a dog in this fight but I can still comment on the fight.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:44 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
No Ma'am, you added that destination part. BTW you are arguing with the OP. I quoted him because clearly you are putting words in his mouth.

Maybe the nerve touched is the ranking of Boston in the OP?I don't have a dog in this fight but I can still comment on the fight
The title of the thread is high end shopping destinations. I agree this should include number of high end stores but also the destination which factors in many additional factors…including notoriety or other subjective factors of the shopping experience ..

Old 09-19-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The title of the thread is high end shopping destinations. I agree this should include number of high end stores but also the destination which factors in many additional factors…including notoriety
Destination as in the metro as a whole, not the district. READ THE THREAD

Old 09-19-2021, 10:47 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
No I’m not overlooking setting. I understand it. That’s why any shopping district in south Florida dwarf what Texas or Boston has to offer. It is about setting yes just mot about urbanity. Boston isn’t in the same argument as the Miami’s and NYC’s. That’s why it’s not seen in the same light as them despite its great urban districts.
Again… never said that. But you can remind me 4 more times if that’s the type of time you’re on lol.

I said It’s better than River Oaks and Highland Park or anywhere in Vegas …and that those places lose some points there. Said nothing more and nothing less.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:49 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
And as far as setting, Bal Harbour Shops is within walking distance to St Regis, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons Hotel and Residences, Fendi Chateau Residences, Arte luxury condos, arguably Miami’s most exclusive neighborhood—Indian Creek, and within a 15 minute drive from another high end mall it competes with, Aventura.

Quote:

Old 09-19-2021, 10:49 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Destination as in the metro as a whole, not the district. READ THE THREAD
Personally I feel a tally of the cities with the most high end stores is a pretty boring thread..adding the shopping experience is a miss if it’s not factored in…soho vs these suburban malls ??

Old 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM

Whatever weight is given to ambiance cannot outweigh the actual question: which city has more.

You can't say this restaurants doesn't really have a lot of good food, but hey the atmosphere is on point.

Boston just doesn't have more, despite the ambiance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City