Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2022, 06:12 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Pigeon Forge, although I have been there several times. Many of us who live in TN take it for granted, but it really is a majestic place. Branson was just ok. Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Sevierville was really hit hard by the fires a few years ago. I am glad to see it come back.

Marquette, MI or Guntersville, AL?
Normally I pick the town I hadn't visited before for these comparisons(here, it's Guntersville). But to me looking over google maps and street view of both towns, and despite visiting there before, I think I'd have a preference for picking Marquette. Not sure why, but checking out this town on street view, it doesn't strike my fancy to want to visit as much as I had hoped. I guess if one was really into boating and/or fishing a lot, then Guntersville would be a better choice. If you had picked Huntsville(a place I've been to before, and liked) or Florence(hadn't yet visited, but I think I'd like to visit there someday), I may've went with one of those places over Marquette.

Places in the 'black belt' with history: Selma, AL, or Leland, MS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 07:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Normally I pick the town I hadn't visited before for these comparisons(here, it's Guntersville). But to me looking over google maps and street view of both towns, and despite visiting there before, I think I'd have a preference for picking Marquette. Not sure why, but checking out this town on street view, it doesn't strike my fancy to want to visit as much as I had hoped. I guess if one was really into boating and/or fishing a lot, then Guntersville would be a better choice. If you had picked Huntsville(a place I've been to before, and liked) or Florence(hadn't yet visited, but I think I'd like to visit there someday), I may've went with one of those places over Marquette.

Places in the 'black belt' with history: Selma, AL, or Leland, MS?
Selma to walk the bridge. I still have not done that, but it would be cool to do.

Bridgeport, CT or Winston-Salem, NC?

Old 10-11-2022, 10:11 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Selma to walk the bridge. I still have not done that, but it would be cool to do.

Bridgeport, CT or Winston-Salem, NC?
I'd pick Winston-Salem. Kalispell MT or Rexburg ID?

Old 10-12-2022, 06:33 AM

330 posts, read 149,377 times
I would go with Kalispell. Its fairly close to Whiteface and Glacier National Park which is on my bucket list. On the same trip I'd also be able to ride down to Missoula which is a city I've been curious about for some time. Rexburg is close enough to the Tetons but I'd probably spend the extra money to stay in Jackson WY.

Carolina Beach NC or Gulf Shores AL?

Old 10-12-2022, 05:11 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
I would go with Kalispell. Its fairly close to Whiteface and Glacier National Park which is on my bucket list. On the same trip I'd also be able to ride down to Missoula which is a city I've been curious about for some time. Rexburg is close enough to the Tetons but I'd probably spend the extra money to stay in Jackson WY.

Carolina Beach NC or Gulf Shores AL?
Carolina Beach because I have been to Gulf Shores. Gulf Shores is nice enough, but very touristy and can be a bit trappy. Carolina Beach looks a bit more organic.

Mary Esther, FL or Porter, IN?

Old 10-13-2022, 04:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Carolina Beach because I have been to Gulf Shores. Gulf Shores is nice enough, but very touristy and can be a bit trappy. Carolina Beach looks a bit more organic.

Mary Esther, FL or Porter, IN?
I'd go with Mary Esther FL. It is getting colder in Canada and winter is looming so right now, Florida in winter is much more agreeable to my cold Canadian bones than Indiana, which is barely better than cold Canada in winter.

So yeah, Mary Esther Florida baby.

Assume the summer for the following:

Cape Breton Island N.S or Martha's Vineyard MA.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'd go with Mary Esther FL. It is getting colder in Canada and winter is looming so right now, Florida in winter is much more agreeable to my cold Canadian bones than Indiana, which is barely better than cold Canada in winter.

So yeah, Mary Esther Florida baby.

Assume the summer for the following:

Cape Breton Island N.S or Martha's Vineyard MA.
Definitely Cape Breton, over Martha's Vineyard. And I LOVE the rocky and hilly countryside, in Cape Breton.

Now for other islands, that aren't as much known. But probably still are a little known to locals: Peaks Island, Maine, or Tangier Island, Virginia?

Old 10-14-2022, 12:09 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Definitely Cape Breton, over Martha's Vineyard. And I LOVE the rocky and hilly countryside, in Cape Breton.

Now for other islands, that aren't as much known. But probably still are a little known to locals: Peaks Island, Maine, or Tangier Island, Virginia?
I'm a bit torn on this one as I would see it as Maine lobster vs Chesapeake Bay crabcakes, and they are two of my favorite seafood treats on the East Coast. I'm very familiar with Maine's rocky coast, it's gorgeous and I went to Acadia NP last summer. Tangier Island would be something different, so I'll go with that.

keeping the island theme going....

Salt Spring Island, BC or Orcas Island, WA?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-14-2022 at 01:07 PM..

Old 10-14-2022, 06:18 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'm a bit torn on this one as I would see it as Maine lobster vs Chesapeake Bay crabcakes, and they are two of my favorite seafood treats on the East Coast. I'm very familiar with Maine's rocky coast, it's gorgeous and I went to Acadia NP last summer. Tangier Island would be something different, so I'll go with that.

keeping the island theme going....

Salt Spring Island, BC or Orcas Island, WA?
Salt Spring. Never been to Canada. Fairbanks AK or Caribou ME?

Old 10-18-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Salt Spring. Never been to Canada. Fairbanks AK or Caribou ME?
Neither place jumps out to me a lot, but I'll pick Fairbanks. Since it has more museums to possibly visit vs. Caribou, when researching both places on Google maps.

Now let's go south, to places near the southern border that aren't visited as much by those who aren't Hispanic.
Other than for certain reasons(i.e. to cross for cheaper prescriptions, etc). Nogales, AZ, or Laredo, TX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City