Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 07:02 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Since I'm more into hiking myself, on top of the fact I've LOOOONG wanted to visit Oklahoma City(which at least wouldn't be too far of a drive away), I'd probably pick Lake Lawtonka. I'm sure Elephant Butte Lake would probably be a better pick if you're into fishing(and as that lake is bigger), though I'm not as much myself. This was a tough pick though, since both lakes look nice. And the nearby Wichita Mountains looked nice, when I took a look at them and possible hiking opportunities along with ruin/abandoned structures that remain to this day, on google maps.

Portland, ME, or Burlington, VT?
I've been to both of them and, while I liked them both, I prefer Portland. I just really like the ambiance of the New England fishing village, writ large. But it's been far longer since I've been to Burlington, and I didn't really see much of it when I was there, so I'll pick that one.

Block Island, RI or Fishers Island, NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 12:37 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've been to both of them and, while I liked them both, I prefer Portland. I just really like the ambiance of the New England fishing village, writ large. But it's been far longer since I've been to Burlington, and I didn't really see much of it when I was there, so I'll pick that one.

Block Island, RI or Fishers Island, NY?
I think between these 2, I'd pick Block Island. And the fact Block Island appears to be less developed than Fishers Island, is a plus in my book. And from the pics I managed to find of both islands by their beach areas via google, to me I just like Block Island better.

Beaver Island, MI: https://goo.gl/maps/hK3rZTsLzwfE9XhF7 (unfortunately I couldn't find any exact google street views, but I did find this 360 degree pic someone took on this island)

or

Kelley's Island, OH: https://goo.gl/maps/NkJwYyN8ZpAdp27K8 (same problem as Beaver Island, I only could find a few 360 degree pics but no exact street views)

Old 03-17-2021, 01:11 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Ooh I was tempted to pick Beaver Island because beavers are one of my favorite animals. But I'll do Kelley's Island since I haven't played mini golf in ages.

State capital battle: Hartford, CT or Helena, MT?

Old 03-17-2021, 05:28 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Ooh I was tempted to pick Beaver Island because beavers are one of my favorite animals. But I'll do Kelley's Island since I haven't played mini golf in ages.

State capital battle: Hartford, CT or Helena, MT?
Hartford has a gorgeous state capitol building. Probably the most impressive in the US with its gothic style and gold dome. But I'm not a fan of the city of Hartford. I've been to Montana but haven't spent much time there and would love to go back. Helena looks like a charming small western city, I'll pick Helena.

Two more state capitals

Annapolis, MD or Phoenix, AZ

Old 03-17-2021, 10:15 AM

13,622 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I think I'll go with Phoenix because the western scenery is so exotic for me. I'd be happy with either, though.

Fall River, Massachusetts or Mobile, Alabama?

Old 03-17-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Hartford has a gorgeous state capitol building. Probably the most impressive in the US with its gothic style and gold dome. But I'm not a fan of the city of Hartford. I've been to Montana but haven't spent much time there and would love to go back. Helena looks like a charming small western city, I'll pick Helena.

Two more state capitals

I forgot to answer this since I was tired and fell asleep, but I would've picked Annapolis of these 2. Phoenix isn't bad(and I like other places near there, i.e. Scottsdale), but looking at just the city limits of these 2 cities alone(presuming the question is what do you prefer between these 2 cities) I prefer Annapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I think I'll go with Phoenix because the western scenery is so exotic for me. I'd be happy with either, though.

Fall River, Massachusetts or Mobile, Alabama?
I did a little google street viewing between both cities, and honestly I like Mobile better. Also I briefly passed through Mobile years ago, and liked the little I saw of that city.

Now for 2 smaller cities(than even Pittsburgh and Chattanooga), with funiculars/incline railroads up a hill. This should be interesting to see what others prefer:

Dubuque, Iowa: https://goo.gl/maps/wwdjNZuDUUBrK73a7 (street view)

or

Johnstown, Pennsylvania: https://goo.gl/maps/7M8Y5KQ7XVuAoo3E8 (street view)

Old 03-17-2021, 01:29 PM

13,622 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Dubuque, Iowa: https://goo.gl/maps/wwdjNZuDUUBrK73a7 (street view)

or

Johnstown, Pennsylvania: https://goo.gl/maps/7M8Y5KQ7XVuAoo3E8 (street view)
I'd rather visit Johnstown. I learned about the flood in school and would be fascinated to check out the Flood Museum. Looking at the map now, I'm disappointed as I didn't realize how close I was to J-town last time I was in Pennsylvania when I drove US-22 from Altoona to Pittsburgh.

Cherokee Nation (Oklahoma) or Navajo Nation (Arizona/New Mexico)?

Old 03-18-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'd rather visit Johnstown. I learned about the flood in school and would be fascinated to check out the Flood Museum. Looking at the map now, I'm disappointed as I didn't realize how close I was to J-town last time I was in Pennsylvania when I drove US-22 from Altoona to Pittsburgh.

Cherokee Nation (Oklahoma) or Navajo Nation (Arizona/New Mexico)?
I was looking on google maps comparing these 2 areas, and honestly I think I like Cherokee Nation a little better. Plus proximity to Tulsa and several other cities that are somewhat populated(i.e. Muskogee, Bartlesville, and also not far from Fort Smith, Fayetteville, and Bentonville in Arkansas) makes me prefer that area, over the fact there's fewer populated cities(even smaller ones) with things to do on the edges of the Navajo Reservation(Flagstaff, and also not being far from Gallup and Farmington in New Mexico). Plus years ago I did a church work camp trip on the Navajo Reservation myself, and to me the infrastructure of roads(some are still only dirt roads and not even at least gravel, sadly) was extremely sad. This was back in the late 90s btw, and I hope things have improved as far as road infrastructure(in upgrading dirt roads to gravel roads) since then. Also, I remember one time one of those news documentary shows(forget if it was 60 Minutes, or another such show) highlighted the poor condition of those dirt roads, on the Navajo Reservation.

Time for a new one. Let's see what I come up with, for being a good comparison between 2 places.

Wallace, ID(btw if I remember correctly this was the LAST town to have a segment of I-90 constructed bypassing it, where after its construction the whole east to west length of I-90 was finally complete to drive on): https://goo.gl/maps/XFheimdhGgtAqTsE9

or

Hamilton, MT: https://goo.gl/maps/Wcg59imduFPdHS8E8

Old 03-18-2021, 06:45 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
I was looking on google maps comparing these 2 areas, and honestly I think I like Cherokee Nation a little better. Plus proximity to Tulsa and several other cities that are somewhat populated(i.e. Muskogee, Bartlesville, and also not far from Fort Smith, Fayetteville, and Bentonville in Arkansas) makes me prefer that area, over the fact there's fewer populated cities(even smaller ones) with things to do on the edges of the Navajo Reservation(Flagstaff, and also not being far from Gallup and Farmington in New Mexico). Plus years ago I did a church work camp trip on the Navajo Reservation myself, and to me the infrastructure of roads(some are still only dirt roads and not even at least gravel, sadly) was extremely sad. This was back in the late 90s btw, and I hope things have improved as far as road infrastructure(in upgrading dirt roads to gravel roads) since then. Also, I remember one time one of those news documentary shows(forget if it was 60 Minutes, or another such show) highlighted the poor condition of those dirt roads, on the Navajo Reservation.

Time for a new one. Let's see what I come up with, for being a good comparison between 2 places.

Wallace, ID(btw if I remember correctly this was the LAST town to have a segment of I-90 constructed bypassing it, where after its construction the whole east to west length of I-90 was finally complete to drive on): https://goo.gl/maps/XFheimdhGgtAqTsE9

or

Hamilton, MT: https://goo.gl/maps/Wcg59imduFPdHS8E8
Both very equal. I went with Hamilton. It's closer to a much larger town, which would be important to me.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Hershey Park, Pennsylvania or Dollywood, Tennessee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City