Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 03:47 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Even though I generally prefer a more authentic travel experience - and I'm thinking the Gaslamp Quarter would better provide me with that - given the fact that I've never been to California, I want the iconic California experience; and I think the Sunset Strip would do it.

Which annual festival would you rather attend (I hope you like spicy food!):

Hatch Chile Festival – Hatch, New Mexico (Labor Day Weekend)
Delta Hot Tamale Festival – Greenville, Mississippi (Columbus Day Weekend)
Lol I'm not a fan of very spicy food(mildly spicy is okay to me btw, I don't want something say like habanero level spicy!), but of those 2 fests I'd probably pick the one in Hatch. Granted there are a few things I would want to do in Greenville and in surrounding towns(i.e. for Greenville eat at Doe's Eat Place, in Leland go to the Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson museum, and in Clarksdale see the blues bars there), but overall there's more things I'm interesting in seeing in southern New Mexico. Also this part of one article reassured me that all NM grown peppers are very spicy:

HOW HOT ARE HATCH CHILE PEPPERS?
Most Hatch peppers are about a third as hot as a typical jalapeno pepper, or they can be about as hot as your typical jalapeno. Because there are different types of chili peppers that can be categorized as Hatch Chile Peppers, there heat levels can vary from a fairly mild 1,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) to around 8,000 SHU. Learn more about the Scoville Scale Here.

Some Hatch peppers can be even hotter, again depending on the variety. I’ve been told some can be on par with habanero pepper heat. (btw this is the article I found this quote from: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...chili-peppers/ )

And as long as I have one of the more mildly hot peppers, I'm totally okay eating that!

Now for 2 NPS sites: Crater of the Moon National Monument and Preserve in Idaho, or Great Basin National Park in Nevada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 03:56 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Butte, MT or Logan County, WV?
I’m going with Butte. West Virginia is one of my favorite places to visit, but the allure of Butte is too much to pass up. I want to see the massive copper pit. And the city limits of Butte are contiguous with the borders of its county, so there’s plenty of beautiful open country to explore as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Crater of the Moon National Monument and Preserve in Idaho, or Great Basin National Park in Nevada?
Craters of the Moon. It just looks a bit more interesting with more unique landscapes and formations.

Would you rather visit Georgia’s 14th Congressional District or Colorado’s 3rd Congressional District?

Old 03-22-2021, 04:05 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
I’m going with Butte. West Virginia is one of my favorite places to visit, but the allure of Butte is too much to pass up. I want to see the massive copper pit. And the city limits of Butte are contiguous with the borders of its county, so there’s plenty of beautiful open country to explore as well.

Craters of the Moon. It just looks a bit more interesting with more unique landscapes and formations.

Would you rather visit Georgia’s 14th Congressional District or Colorado’s 3rd Congressional District?
QBert vs. Taylor Qreene. Battle of two of the biggest conspiracy theory-espousing morons in the US House. I went to middle and high school in CO-3, and most of my family still lives there. I'll take the San Juans and the Sangres over any and all mountain ranges in Georgia.

Apostle Islands Nat'l Lakeshore or the Great Dismal Swamp?

Old 03-22-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
QBert vs. Taylor Qreene. Battle of two of the biggest conspiracy theory-espousing morons in the US House. I went to middle and high school in CO-3, and most of my family still lives there. I'll take the San Juans and the Sangres over any and all mountain ranges in Georgia.

Apostle Islands Nat'l Lakeshore or the Great Dismal Swamp?
Of these 2, Apostle Islands. I didn't realize Great Dismal Swamp was an actual swamp name, till I looked it up to be sure. That said, I'd pick Apostle Islands out of these 2.

Fargo, ND, or Sioux Falls, SD?

Old 03-22-2021, 05:55 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Of these 2, Apostle Islands. I didn't realize Great Dismal Swamp was an actual swamp name, till I looked it up to be sure. That said, I'd pick Apostle Islands out of these 2.

Fargo, ND, or Sioux Falls, SD?
Both look to be on equal footing but I'd pick Sioux Falls because it's also a little closer to bigger places like Omaha. Would you rather visit Omaha or Des Moines?

Old 03-22-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Also this part of one article reassured me that NOT all NM grown peppers are very spicy:

HOW HOT ARE HATCH CHILE PEPPERS?
Most Hatch peppers are about a third as hot as a typical jalapeno pepper, or they can be about as hot as your typical jalapeno. Because there are different types of chili peppers that can be categorized as Hatch Chile Peppers, there heat levels can vary from a fairly mild 1,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) to around 8,000 SHU. Learn more about the Scoville Scale Here.

Some Hatch peppers can be even hotter, again depending on the variety. I’ve been told some can be on par with habanero pepper heat. (btw this is the article I found this quote from: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c...chili-peppers/ )
I made a typo above, and meant to say that I am thankful that a lot of NM peppers are NOT very spicy. In the original comment, I stupidly forgot to add that clarifying word. Sorry I wasn't more clear, about that above.

As for the last vs. comparison post I saw, I'd probably pick Des Moines. I like DSM's proximity to other places like Grinnell, Ames, and other central, eastern, and northern Iowa places. I'm sure Omaha is nice too, but I wish there were more at least semi-populated places one could easily drive to, besides Lincoln. And being along the I-35 corridor(for occasional trips to Kansas City), plus being a little closer to the Mississippi River, is nice.

Shreveport, LA, or Texarkana(can be either one, as both sides work together as one metro area. a la Kansas City)?

Old 03-23-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Shreveport, LA, or Texarkana(can be either one, as both sides work together as one metro area. a la Kansas City)?
I'll go with Shreveport. I was tempted to pick Texarkana since I've never been there, but Shreveport has a lot more to offer for visitors than I would have first expected. The Louisiana State Exhibit Museum looks fascinating. I just love Louisiana history, culture, and food. It also has at least three Art Museums/Galleries, and even an Aquarium!

Georgia’s Golden Isles or California’s Channel Islands?

Old 03-24-2021, 02:20 AM

Quote:
I'll go with Shreveport. I was tempted to pick Texarkana since I've never been there, but Shreveport has a lot more to offer for visitors than I would have first expected. The Louisiana State Exhibit Museum looks fascinating. I just love Louisiana history, culture, and food. It also has at least three Art Museums/Galleries, and even an Aquarium!

Georgia’s Golden Isles or California’s Channel Islands?
I've been to St. Simons Island before(part of the Golden Isles), so to me I'd have to pick Channel Islands. I've never been to any of those islands, on the other hand!

The battle of 2 Bavarian/German themed towns to visit: Leavenworth, WA, or Frankenmuth, MI?

Old 03-24-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
The battle of 2 Bavarian/German themed towns to visit: Leavenworth, WA, or Frankenmuth, MI?
I'd pick Leavenworth because of the mountains and the riverside parks.

White Sands National Park or Mojave National Preserve?

Old 03-24-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'd pick Leavenworth because of the mountains and the riverside parks.

White Sands National Park or Mojave National Preserve?
Of those 2, I'd probably pick Mojave. Also the fact Mojave has a cave within it, would make me want to do a visit there.

Bend, OR, vs. Boise, ID?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City