Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 03:31 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times

Advertisements

I'll take Bend. I've been to both cities and found them both rather underwhelming, but I only spent a few hours in Bend --- wouldn't mind checking out some of the trails and lakes around there to see the outdoor recreation that people rave about. Redmond Caves was cool.

Staying in Oregon: Newport or Coos Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 03:35 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'll go with Newport. It has beaches, a lighthouse, an aquarium, several neat looking nature preserves, and several nice looking walkable commercial strips.

Wolf Rock Cave (Louisiana) or Florida Caverns State Park?

Old 03-24-2021, 04:50 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
I'll take Bend. I've been to both cities and found them both rather underwhelming, but I only spent a few hours in Bend --- wouldn't mind checking out some of the trails and lakes around there to see the outdoor recreation that people rave about. Redmond Caves was cool.

I just looked up Redmond Caves, that is interesting to learn there is a cave there! Didn't know the nearby town(to Bend) of Redmond, had a cave system nearby.

And between these 2, Newport over Coos Bay. Newport looks a little more polished and has things to do(per checking on street view), when I was looking at both towns. Though Coos Bay doesn't look bad either, but a slight bit more unpolished in its downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'll go with Newport. It has beaches, a lighthouse, an aquarium, several neat looking nature preserves, and several nice looking walkable commercial strips.

Wolf Rock Cave (Louisiana) or Florida Caverns State Park?
Florida Caverns, as it appears per pics that this cave looks more interesting vs. Wolf Rock Cave.

Eureka Springs, AR, or Galena, IL?

Old 03-24-2021, 06:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I just looked up Redmond Caves, that is interesting to learn there is a cave there! Didn't know the nearby town(to Bend) of Redmond, had a cave system nearby.

And between these 2, Newport over Coos Bay. Newport looks a little more polished and has things to do(per checking on street view), when I was looking at both towns. Though Coos Bay doesn't look bad either, but a slight bit more unpolished in its downtown.

Florida Caverns, as it appears per pics that this cave looks more interesting vs. Wolf Rock Cave.

Eureka Springs, AR, or Galena, IL?
Eureka Springs. I've wanted to check it out for a while. Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township NJ or Six Flags Great America Gurnee, IL?

Old 03-24-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Eureka Springs. I've wanted to check it out for a while. Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township NJ or Six Flags Great America Gurnee, IL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I had never been to the Six Flags park in Jackson(OTOH had been to the Gurnee one quite a few times), so I'd pick that one to see how Great Adventure compares to Great America.

Washington, MO, vs. Cape Girardeau, MO?

Old 03-24-2021, 10:12 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
I had never been to the Six Flags park in Jackson(OTOH had been to the Gurnee one quite a few times), so I'd pick that one to see how Great Adventure compares to Great America.

Washington, MO, vs. Cape Girardeau, MO?
Washington.
I’ve always been partial to those old towns along the Missouri River.

Drive the Natchez Trace Parkway or Minnesota’s North Shore?

Old 03-24-2021, 10:22 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Quote:
Of those 2, I'd probably pick Mojave. Also the fact Mojave has a cave within it,
would make me want to do a visit there.

Bend, OR, vs. Boise, ID?
Good options... I'd probably go with Boise... it's the gateway to the extensive
mountain country of central Idaho (which I haven't visited), plus would offer
city stuff too, like the Capitol building, and presumably some museums
of Idaho history.

Had a good time on my one visit to Bend, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Washington.
I’ve always been partial to those old towns along the Missouri River.

Drive the Natchez Trace Parkway or Minnesota’s North Shore?
The North Shore.... after a short visit to Duluth, I want to see what lies beyond...
Judging by Streetview pics, there's some spectacular scenery there.

Montana or Utah? (in the summer)

Last edited by NW4me; 03-24-2021 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 11:39 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
I've been to parts of both states but Montana interests me more, the cities and towns are a lot more varied. What I've seen of Utah towns from streetviews basically all has the same generic "new Sunbelt sprawl" look. Definitely want to explore the barren, endless prairies of eastern Montana at some point in my life.

The Oklahoma Panhandle, or the nearest town to the point exactly 100 miles west of you? (If that's in the ocean, then 100 miles east)

Old 03-25-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The North Shore.... after a short visit to Duluth, I want to see what lies beyond...
Judging by Streetview pics, there's some spectacular scenery there.

Montana or Utah? (in the summer)
Montana, since Utah can get hot at times in the summer. And I agree that while I'm sure the Natchez Trace Parkway is nice, that Highway 61 going northeast on Lake Superior along the North Shore would probably be a little more interesting to me.

Quote:
I've been to parts of both states but Montana interests me more, the cities and towns are a lot more varied. What I've seen of Utah towns from streetviews basically all has the same generic "new Sunbelt sprawl" look. Definitely want to explore the barren, endless prairies of eastern Montana at some point in my life.

The Oklahoma Panhandle, or the nearest town to the point exactly 100 miles west of you? (If that's in the ocean, then 100 miles east)
Oh wow, going 100 miles west would get me to Oregon, IL! A town I've been there before, and myself personally enjoy. That said I'd pick the OK Panhandle, since it's an area I've never been to. And myself, wouldn't mind visiting(did some quick googling of things out in the Panhandle) Cimarron Heritage Center, in Boise City, OK.

Nevada City, CA, or Sonora, CA?

Old 03-25-2021, 07:38 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Nevada City, CA, or Sonora, CA?
Tough choice, and I'd be thrilled to visit either; but I'm going with Nevada City. It's self-styled as California's "Best Preserved Gold Rush Town" and seems to have a bit more to do. Its downtown also looks bigger and as though it offers more. I also like its forested surroundings.

Brevard County, Florida or Volusia County, Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City