Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:37 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times

Advertisements

Seattle (city proper) has had 624 restaurants and bars permanently close since the pandemic started in March - that's almost 20% of the total restaurants and bars in the city.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/fo...-survey-finds/

Where do other cities stand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 04:29 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Can't find any hard numbers for Chicago --- there are lists out there of restaurants that have closed, but they're all trendy/gourmet/well-renowned places in the neighborhoods near downtown and on the north side, and I'm imagining the rates of restaurant closures are higher in the poorer/ethnic neighborhoods.

As of July, 1,000 of the 17,000 restaurants in the state of Michigan had closed permanently. If that rate of closures from March through July stayed constant ever since, there would be about 2,250 closures by today, or 13% of Michigan's restaurants. In Arizona by that same time, 9% of restaurants had closed, which extrapolates to 20% today. In California: 2.7% in July, extrapolated to 6.1% today.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:11 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Nashville metro experienced 410 closures as of August. I would expect another 200 have been added since then to roughly 600 closures.

https://tennesseelookout.com/briefs/...e-to-pandemic/

Old 12-10-2020, 06:14 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
I would imagine New York. New York restaurants notoriously close even without a pandemic/recession

Old 12-10-2020, 06:26 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I would imagine New York. New York restaurants notoriously close even without a pandemic/recession
I don't know percentages, but there is a very noticeable amount of food related commercial vacancies all over Manhattan, a huge increase since last year at this time.
Very sad to see and I hope things come back full force once Covid is behind us. I know I will be supporting restaurants as much as I can when we are in a better place.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:35 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Yep, and bars will likely have gone at least a year being closed when all is said and done.

I predict that rise of Chain bars owned by big corporations

Old 12-10-2020, 06:44 PM

1,013 posts, read 913,118 times
Quote:
Yeah Chinatown is vacant there’s nothing open everything is shut down and hardly anyone walking around. I noticed long lines of people I presume to get some sort of assistance. Don’t know if any other cities are hit this hard but it’s sad.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:56 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yep, and bars will likely have gone at least a year being closed when all is said and done.

Lots of consolidations from many industries happening in 2021.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:47 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't know percentages, but there is a very noticeable amount of food related commercial vacancies all over Manhattan, a huge increase since last year at this time.
Very sad to see and I hope things come back full force once Covid is behind us. I know I will be supporting restaurants as much as I can when we are in a better place.
Yeah, NYC has been hit very badly by this, and anecdotally from what I’ve seen, Manhattan seems to be suffering the most. Maybe due to the higher rents and loss of commuting workers and tourists?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

Sadly, I think the same thing... and that would be absolutely devastating. Just like your basic suburban strip mall restaurants with no originality.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:03 AM

211 posts, read 137,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah, NYC has been hit very badly by this, and anecdotally from what I’ve seen, Manhattan seems to be suffering the most. Maybe due to the higher rents and loss of commuting workers and tourists?
I would assume another component is the smaller retail/restaurant spaces in Manhattan, and not having the patio space or heating capacity to get through the winter months? I did see photos of temporary outdoor seating in parking lanes, etc, but not sure how much it panned out.

Just a guess, but I'd assume restaurants with space to spread out and establish a heated patio are faring better at this point in the pandemic. Especially if they're in a climate with mild winters. Or maybe its a moot point as people in general are choosing to stay home, regardless of the seating options at their local food spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City