Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Superior metro?
Austin 44 24.04%
San Diego 139 75.96%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 10:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Well this remains to be seen, and having a pro sports team as an anchor to a development helps tremendously.
True, but even now it's already less of a burden to taxpayers now that it's off the city's books. It would have been an even bigger burden with COVID and canceled events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 10:44 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Right because burning man is more than just art cars, so of course the art car parade in Houston would be smaller in theory than an event which has more than that. But in reality, the art car parade in Houston has similar attendance numbers to burning man, and in fact higher numbers in many years. Houston's is one of the larger ones which is why I said what I did about Austin's version, but Austin has plenty of other events.

This is where the thread should go next...whose premier event is more impactful to the city... ComicCon in SD or SXSW in Austin?
What is Austin's art car event? I've never heard of that. The main art events that I hear about in Austin are the east and west Austin studio tours.

Would have to think the latter is easily SXSW. 2019 had 280k+ attendees with $350 million of economic impact. That's greater than 2x SD ComicCon and of course Austin is a much smaller city and overall economy.

ACL is also not that far behind SXSW on that front.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:51 AM

653 posts, read 463,816 times
Quote:
Right because burning man is more than just art cars, so of course the art car parade in Houston would be smaller in theory than an event which has more than that. But in reality, the art car parade in Houston has similar attendance numbers to burning man, and in fact higher numbers in many years. Houston's is one of the larger ones which is why I said what I did about Austin's version, but Austin has plenty of other events.

This is where the thread should go next...whose premier event is more impactful to the city... ComicCon in SD or SXSW in Austin?
That's an easy one. SXSW is in a different universe in terms of cultural influence. This comparison is similarly incongruent to the Art Car Parade versus Burning Man comparison. One's a diversion and the other is a cultural/industry influencer.

Now, if you compared ComicCon to the ACL festival, I think it would be a more apples-to-apples comparison...and ComiCon would edge it out in terms of the footprint of its cultural significance and influence, if not its general appeal and attendance figures.

PS-I would argue that Houston's analogue to SXSW is actually OTC.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I worked for a company with a small development group in Austin. I've been there in July/August many times. 100F every day isn't my idea of a livable climate. With infinite money, a house off the beach in La Jolla, a sailboat in a slip in the basin, and a small condo at Mammoth would do the trick.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I worked for a company with a small development group in Austin. I've been there in July/August many times. 100F every day isn't my idea of a livable climate. With infinite money, a house off the beach in La Jolla, a sailboat in a slip in the basin, and a small condo at Mammoth would do the trick.
Lol, I don't think there is much debate about San Diego vs Austin (or anywhere in the continental US) on the climate front.

San Diego vs Hawaii might be interesting. I think I'd actually go with Hawaii there as I like a little more warmth than San Diego offers.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:00 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And...?
The rodeo is a huge deal. Largest rodeo event in the country. A lot of national acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
You misunderstood my point. I was implying that the Art Car Parade is really just a much smaller, less significant, and sanitized Burning Man (which originated in SF).
I don't even remember Houston or Austin's art car parades, but Im not a car guy. I think the guy you're replying is another Texan who doesn't like Austin.

Quote:

First you said that Austin "stole" the idea of Eeyore's birthday from SF. I think that was proven to be false. You also said Austin stole the art car parade from Houston. Not sure if true, but who cares? Did Rochester steal the fall festival from Albany? If they did, so what? Reminds me of that Dallas poster who said it was ironic that SXSW was named after an airline based out of Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Agreed. It's really hot at night in a lot of Texas's major cities.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:17 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
What is Austin's art car event? I've never heard of that. The main art events that I hear about in Austin are the east and west Austin studio tours.
I'm not even sure it's an annual event? Good for Houston....I guess?

Old 01-05-2021, 11:10 AM

8,335 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The rodeo is a huge deal. Largest rodeo event in the country. A lot of national acts.
Outside of Houston, it really isnt. It might draw some from other parts of Texas or Louisiana, but you dont get people flying in from the coasts like SXSW.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:20 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
That's an easy one. SXSW is in a different universe in terms of cultural influence. This comparison is similarly incongruent to the Art Car Parade versus Burning Man comparison. One's a diversion and the other is a cultural/industry influencer.

Now, if you compared ComicCon to the ACL festival, I think it would be a more apples-to-apples comparison...and ComiCon would edge it out in terms of the footprint of its cultural significance and influence, if not its general appeal and attendance figures.

PS-I would argue that Houston's analogue to SXSW is actually OTC.
That's a good comparison. Austin is a cool city with some fun festivals which people across Texas (and beyond) travel for, and this should tip the poll even more in its favor.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:05 PM

527 posts, read 319,864 times
Third?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City