Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Superior metro?
Austin 44 24.04%
San Diego 139 75.96%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
So why is it that San Diego has less educated residents with lower incomes in comparison to Austin?

San Diego is a beautiful place but I certainly don't rate it particularly highly economically, particularly compared to the heavyweights in CA (which is what this thread is).
Austin's economy is heavily dominated by high tech, the university and state government, each of which employ a predominantly educated work force. While distinguished in the biotech sector, San Diego also has a lot more workers in tourism, which tends to have a lower socioeconomic profile.

In some respects San Diego is kind of like a West Coast version of Austin and San Antonio put together given huge internal differences within that area. The south and east sides of San Diego would align better with San Antonio, and are much more downscale and working class than most of Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 09:57 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
So why is it that San Diego has less educated residents with lower incomes in comparison to Austin?
Not even sure what your red herring argument is. That San Diego somehow is not leveraging UCSD enough to result in higher incomes and education? It's a single institution and SD is not a university town.

Personally, I'd associate a significant portion of San Diego's income growth, which was 5th highest in the country from 1998 to 2018 (Austin was 6th), as very much tied to UCSD and the STEM cluster it fostered, which has continued to bring in high-paying jobs. Can you make the claim that Austin's wages and wage growth are attributed to UT Austin? No. Austin is benefiting from tech job relocations, which is great, but less related to UT.

Quote:
San Diego is a beautiful place but I certainly don't rate it particularly highly economically, particularly compared to the heavyweights in CA (which is what this thread is).
EDIT: I already stated that I believe Austin performs better in its state relative to its in-state competitors. I've stated it 3 times now, so what more do you want?

Last edited by newgensandiego; 02-25-2021 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-25-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Austin's economy is heavily dominated by high tech, the university and state government, each of which employ a predominantly educated work force. While distinguished in the biotech sector, San Diego also has a lot more workers in tourism, which tends to have a lower socioeconomic profile.

In some respects San Diego is kind of like a West Coast version of Austin and San Antonio put together given huge internal differences within that area. The south and east sides of San Diego would align better with San Antonio, and are much more downscale and working class than most of Austin.
Also, the large military population and retiree population. SD also has more farms than any county in the entire country, so a decent amount of agricultural production.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:10 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:

There's like this pent up animosity among posters towards Austin here. It's tangible and palpable. Austin makes people angry!!!!

Old 02-26-2021, 09:48 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There's like this pent up animosity among posters towards Austin here. It's tangible and palpable. Austin makes people angry!!!!
Would say the opposite. San Diego makes people happy. Especially when looking at bikinis on the beach in La Jolla.

I like Austin. It's just that for all the hype, it has a tiny startup scene. It's great for working at large tech companies, but I wouldn't start a company there. It's also way behind in the rapidly growing biotech industry. Given Austin's history with hardware, you'd think it would be more of a hotbed for synthetic bio and electronic biomaterials, but I don't think it has a single Series A startup in that sector.

One big challenge in Texas in non-competes. They're basically unenforceable in California which has contributed to setting up hubs where people move among companies. Texas takes the employers' side with those agreements which can make it harder to transfer between companies in the same industry.

Texas needs to do what Gov Baker of Massachusetts did three years ago with non-competes by weakening their ability to be enforced. New York is far more employee-friendly with them in Texas. It's one reason why Cal, NY, and Mass account for 80%+ of VC and I can't believe Texas continues to enforce them to the level it does. Change of law is desperately needed there for Austin to develop into something more than a big tech company outpost.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Would say the opposite. San Diego makes people happy. Especially when looking at bikinis on the beach in La Jolla.

I like Austin. It's just that for all the hype, it has a tiny startup scene. It's great for working at large tech companies, but I wouldn't start a company there. It's also way behind in the rapidly growing biotech industry. Given Austin's history with hardware, you'd think it would be more of a hotbed for synthetic bio and electronic biomaterials, but I don't think it has a single Series A startup in that sector.

One big challenge in Texas in non-competes. They're basically unenforceable in California which has contributed to setting up hubs where people move among companies. Texas takes the employers' side with those agreements which can make it harder to transfer between companies in the same industry.

Texas needs to do what Gov Baker of Massachusetts did three years ago with non-competes by weakening their ability to be enforced. New York is far more employee-friendly with them in Texas. It's one reason why Cal, NY, and Mass account for 80%+ of VC and I can't believe Texas continues to enforce them to the level it does. Change of law is desperately needed there for Austin to develop into something more than a big tech company outpost.
While I agree with everything you typed, this isn't really related to my post. Austin draws the ire of alot of CD posters for some reason.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
While I agree with everything you typed, this isn't really related to my post. Austin draws the ire of alot of CD posters for some reason.
Austin is awesome and, in my opinion, it is the more impressive 3rd city relative to its in-state competition. SD is competing with LA and SF, which are far out of SD's league in numerous ways (compared to Austin vs. Houston + Dallas).

While I agree that people like to disproportionally bash Austin in part due to the media-frenzy, we don't have to be foaming at the mouth in recognizing its many successes. The same applies to San Diego...it's awesome and is generally well-liked. It also has a ton of problems like any other city. Both cities in this comparison are overachievers in their own way.

As I said before, this discussion has been very enlightening because I've learned about the many similarities and parallels between Austin and San Diego and their respective trajectories.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Austin is awesome and, in my opinion, it is the more impressive 3rd city relative to its in-state competition. SD is competing with LA and SF, which are far out of SD's league in numerous ways (compared to Austin vs. Houston + Dallas).

While I agree that people like to disproportionally bash Austin in part due to the media-frenzy, we don't have to be foaming at the mouth in recognizing its many successes. The same applies to San Diego...it's awesome and is generally well-liked. It also has a ton of problems like any other city. Both cities in this comparison are overachievers in their own way.

As I said before, this discussion has been very enlightening because I've learned about the many similarities and parallels between Austin and San Diego and their respective trajectories.
Repped. I think the sad thing about the level of hate is Austin is a pretty low key city. It's citizens don't really worry about passing San Antonio one day and their actually pretty anti-growth. I don't see any Austin apologists here tbh but Austin do get anger from both Texans and non-Texans alike.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
I really don't feel a Austin hate vibe, not sure where this is coming from. I think it just requires appropriate expectations if you think you can move there and work for a startup, as opposed to big tech. It is one of the few places I'd live outside of California and it has a lot going for it, but I've met many people IRL who think getting Oracle and a Tesla factory will somehow mean startups are coming.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:03 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Time for a fact check and some context.

San Diego metro area is closer to San Francisco metro area in just about every conceivable metric than Austin is to Houston or Dallas.

As stand alone cities, San Diego could never be challenged by Oakland or Long Beach, while Austin absolutely could be challenged by Fort Worth.

Further complicating matters are the two wildcards in each state-San Jose and San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City