Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Superior metro?
Austin 44 24.04%
San Diego 139 75.96%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 04:05 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The 2019 GDP of the Fort Worth-Arlington-Grapevine metropolitan division is $133,177,534.

Source: https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.c...=5&statistic=1
Guess I didn’t look hard enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 04:05 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Truthfully speaking I don’t know what to call Austin’s homeless issues. It’s been something I’ve been thinking on for a long time now. I personally feel it is largely attributed to our liberal council and probably has an alter-agenda behind it which has very little to do with solving the actual problem, and yes, I also find it extremely disgusting. The city allowing them without any contest to park under any overpass, sidewalk, and do their business in public with 0 punishment to those who become offenders to public safety. Its a real problem but also a very induced problem IMO.

I’ve been constantly wondering ‘why’ they are allowing this and what their overall goal is for it and what do they get out of it. I know Mayor Adler actually has birth roots from the Pacific region where this stuff is very prevalent, as I myself have lived in Seattle and have seen similar things, Austin however seems to be making this blatant.

Another thing is, I don’t fully know why they are homeless either and that makes it difficult in assessing and judging the situation. At first I felt they were people bussed in, or lost their job and house, or got priced out due to Austin’s high CoL but I’m largely beginning to feel that these are actually people that just gave up on themselves and don’t want to strive for anything.

In either case I feel that they need help, social assistance, therapy, and also some form of public housing. The city shouldn’t be so content on just letting them park on the sidewalks and streets. I feel the city needs to make an effort (a strong one) in putting them in shelters and providing basic needs housing as well as a social program to getting them back on their feet through therapy... not just accept their living conditions and letting them park on the streets.

To answer your question, having lived in Seattle, I would definitely relate it to liberal politics... unless there is a better definition for it.

And that stated, I don’t think everything liberal is good, just as I don’t think everything conservative is good.
Again, you’re confusing terms. “Wokeness” and “Liberal” aren’t congruent. Austin is known both for being liberal and for being unaware of social issues. Yes, liberals generally claim to be woke, but particularly those who mostly base their woke claim on their political affiliation are actually anti progressive. Which is where Austin stands out. Yes, Houston has a lot of social issues like any other American cities, but it does a greater job in addressing them as compared to Austin (albeit still pretty poorly).

Old 12-28-2020, 04:07 PM

12,814 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Austin has quite the homeless issue though. Do we attribute that to being liberal? Houston and Dallas have their fair share too, but compared to them Austin is on another level. Literally every other overpass had multiple tents and this is spread throughout the city. Then over there on Lady Bird Lake too. I was just in Austin and my GF said it reminds her of Portland, which I can see.

As far as racial progressiveness in Austin... it's gotten a little better but there was a time when it wasn't like that at all. The Texas Relays being a prime example. They literally shut down a mall early (Barton Creek IIRC) because too many Black people were coming in. This was only like 10 years ago too, so not that long ago.

Austin steals other cities "liberal"ness, such as the art car parade from Houston or Eeyore's birthday from SF.
I can't find anything on San Francisco and Eeyore's birthday. Do you have a link? Google couldn't help me. Never really heard of an art car parade, but I think cities celebrate events and holiday's right? Not all cities are stealing St. Patrick's day from Dublin? Why go after Austin here?

Old 12-28-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Again, you’re confusing terms. “Wokeness” and “Liberal” aren’t congruent. Austin is known both for being liberal and for being unaware of social issues. Yes, liberals generally claim to be woke, but particularly those who mostly base their woke claim on their political affiliation are actually anti progressive. Which is where Austin stands out. Yes, Houston has a lot of social issues like any other American cities, but it does a greater job in addressing them as compared to Austin (albeit still pretty poorly).
Do you feel the city council is liberal? or woke?

I can kind of see cases for both, if hypothetically the council is allowing the problem to grow to gain public attention in essence hoping that the public will be ready to chip in for a tax to fix the problem. If that is the case atleast, it would seem they recognize the problem and want the public to recognize it too. Similarly as to how they strived to evade road improvements in the past in efforts to push transit.. in a sense a deliberate attempt to steer the public.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Austin has quite the homeless issue though. Do we attribute that to being liberal? Houston and Dallas have their fair share too, but compared to them Austin is on another level. Literally every other overpass had multiple tents and this is spread throughout the city. Then over there on Lady Bird Lake too. I was just in Austin and my GF said it reminds her of Portland, which I can see.

As far as racial progressiveness in Austin... it's gotten a little better but there was a time when it wasn't like that at all. The Texas Relays being a prime example. They literally shut down a mall early (Barton Creek IIRC) because too many Black people were coming in. This was only like 10 years ago too, so not that long ago.

Austin steals other cities "liberal"ness, such as the art car parade from Houston or Eeyore's birthday from SF.
How is Eeyore's birthday stolen from SF? That's an Austin tradition that started in 1963. I've literally never heard of an art car parade in either Austin or Houston, so I have no idea what you are referring to there..

Regarding Texas relays, the issue was that huge numbers of teenagers would come in, loiter around the mall and not actually buy anything. Many business felt it was less trouble to be closed. I'm not going to say that race wasn't a factor, but I also don't know if it's completely unfair for businesses to recognize that they saw a huge drop in sales and huge rise in complaints from their staff year after year during that weekend and decide to just close shop instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Truthfully speaking I don’t know what to call Austin’s homeless issues. It’s been something I’ve been thinking on for a long time now. I personally feel it is largely attributed to our liberal council and probably has an alter-agenda behind it which has very little to do with solving the actual problem, and yes, I also find it extremely disgusting. The city allowing them without any contest to park under any overpass, sidewalk, and do their business in public with 0 punishment to those who become offenders to public safety. Its a real problem but also a very induced problem IMO.

I’ve been constantly wondering ‘why’ they are allowing this and what their overall goal is for it and what do they get out of it. I know Mayor Adler actually has birth roots from the Pacific region where this stuff is very prevalent, as I myself have lived in Seattle and have seen similar things, Austin however seems to be making this blatant.

Another thing is, I don’t fully know why they are homeless either and that makes it difficult in assessing and judging the situation. At first I felt they were people bussed in, or lost their job and house, or got priced out due to Austin’s high CoL but I’m largely beginning to feel that these are actually people that just gave up on themselves and don’t want to strive for anything.

In either case I feel that they need help, social assistance, therapy, and also some form of public housing. The city shouldn’t be so content on just letting them park on the sidewalks and streets. I feel the city needs to make an effort (a strong one) in putting them in shelters and providing basic needs housing as well as a social program to getting them back on their feet through therapy... not just accept their living conditions and letting them park on the streets.

To answer your question, having lived in Seattle, I would definitely relate it to liberal politics... unless there is a better definition for it.

And that stated, I don’t think everything liberal is good, just as I don’t think everything conservative is good.
One issue in both Austin and the west coast cities is that there is no excess housing. The homeless problem (which is national, btw) is a lot easier to handle in a city like Baltimore that is filled with vacant housing.

Personally I understand the argument that we have to let them sleep somewhere, but I don't like APD allowing them to camp on city streets or in parks. I can't help but feel like the lack of enforcement there is APD being babies about the "defunding" situation. Tents underneath highway bridges is ugly, but it doesn't bother me as much as tents on downtown streets or parks.

Ultimately I do think Austin is fed up about the situation, and between this and the "stay at home while I'm in Cabo" issue I suspect that Adler loses the next mayoral election. IMO they are taking the right steps to build housing, but they also need to think harder about short term solutions (eg: designated camping areas) and have more enforcement about preventing camping where it is not allowed.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
How is Eeyore's birthday stolen from SF? That's an Austin tradition that started in 1963. I've literally never heard of an art car parade in either Austin or Houston, so I have no idea what you are referring to there..

Regarding Texas relays, the issue was that huge numbers of teenagers would come in, loiter around the mall and not actually buy anything. Many business felt it was less trouble to be closed. I'm not going to say that race wasn't a factor, but I also don't know if it's completely unfair for businesses to recognize that they saw a huge drop in sales and huge rise in complaints from their staff year after year during that weekend and decide to just close shop instead.

Yeah, I mean it's been around Austin for years and if SF started it first (which I haven't found proof of yet), it doesn't seem to be as big a deal there as I don't see any references to SF's Eeyore festivals. Also, shops in Galveston used to close during certain traditional gatherings because of the destruction the attendees would bring.

Regardless, cities have festivals, and often times, the same ones. I don't think every city that does a Christmas tree lighting is stealing from NYC

Two of DabonEms top forums? Houston and Texas. Gee would you look at that.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, I mean it's been around Austin for years and if SF started it first (which I haven't found proof of yet), it doesn't seem to be as big a deal there as I don't see any references to SF's Eeyore festivals. Also, shops in Galveston used to close during certain traditional gatherings because of the destruction the attendees would bring.

Regardless, cities have festivals, and often times, the same ones. I don't think every city that does a Christmas tree lighting is stealing from NYC
I was wrong on Eeyore's birthday, and got it mixed with another event.

But are you saying Galveston and Austin are similar politically here with closing down shops due to a rise in minorities flooding in?

Quote:

Sounds like if this happened in 2020, we'd be seeing TikTok videos of a bunch of Austin Karens and Gregs not letting the black and hispanic kids shop at the mall because they don't think they'll buy anything. The mall closed in the early afternoon, many hours before closing time.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
One issue in both Austin and the west coast cities is that there is no excess housing. The homeless problem (which is national, btw) is a lot easier to handle in a city like Baltimore that is filled with vacant housing.

Personally I understand the argument that we have to let them sleep somewhere, but I don't like APD allowing them to camp on city streets or in parks. I can't help but feel like the lack of enforcement there is APD being babies about the "defunding" situation. Tents underneath highway bridges is ugly, but it doesn't bother me as much as tents on downtown streets or parks.

Ultimately I do think Austin is fed up about the situation, and between this and the "stay at home while I'm in Cabo" issue I suspect that Adler loses the next mayoral election. IMO they are taking the right steps to build housing, but they also need to think harder about short term solutions (eg: designated camping areas) and have more enforcement about preventing camping where it is not allowed.
Are they building housing for it currently?

I remember something along those lines when Adler decreased the limitations where they could camp and Abbott stepped in and clarified / reversed some things.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I was wrong on Eeyore's birthday, and got it mixed with another event.

But are you saying Galveston and Austin are similar politically here with closing down shops due to a rise in minorities flooding in?
I'm saying businesses do what's best for their existence. A lot of clubs will close on 6th st during Relays and actually Harley fest because it hurt's their business.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:48 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
But this doesn't address why Austin has a much more visible problem than cities 3-4x its size (Houston and DFW). NYC and Boston don't have that much vacant housing yet they're able to house their homeless much better. Austin's not having enough vacant housing isn't the main issue. It's actually a small point. The biggest is definitely policy.

Quote:

It's not that APD is allowing it, but Austin city hall is approving of it. It took businesses taking it into their own hands for it to change.

What I think might be happening - under the table - is the homeless economic department in Austin is developing from SF/LA/Seattle expats who have moved into Austin. There's a lot of money in the homeless industrial complex, and Austin is like a blank pallet for those people as they claim their stake on the growing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City