Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 03:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Nope
[quote=Sharif662;60032007]
Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
in my opinion but geography does state it's in the South.
Thank you.
You are NOT WELCOME for putting words in my mouth and incorrectly attributing quotes to me.

The Mid-Atlantic region is NOT PART OF THE SOUTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 03:58 PM

994 posts, read 779,427 times
I'm curious about this. It seems like the general agreement is that Louisville is southern and Cincinnati is not. Then the Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati also aren't southern.

What about Jeffersonville/New Albany in Indiana? Would those be southern then if Louisville is? Or does the Midwest suddenly begin on the north side of the Ohio in that case (though New Albany is technically located more south than most of Louisville)

Old 12-31-2020, 04:45 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Are there not Mississippians living in El Paso?
So when southerners moved in large numbers to El Paso that doesn't have a southern theme.

Btw, still in the geographic location known as the South.
With each post, you’re reaching more and more. You have had several Texans in here tell you there is nothing Southern about El Paso. Yet you still obstinately sit there justifying your reasoning by claiming a few Mississippians moved to El Paso some years ago. Mississippians moved to Arizona as well. Does that make it Southern? Unlike the other Texas cities 500-700 miles to its east, El Paso has always have a large Mexican population and a large Mexican presence. Even larger and longer than San Antonio. It’s the epitome of frontier west and is known as the second largest city in the southwest. It never truly had a history all that much tied to the Southern US throughout its history.

El Paso really came into its own around the same time Phoenix and Tucson did. El Paso is historically, demographically, and especially presently, different from the rest of the state and especially the Southeast.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:37 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Are there not Mississippians living in El Paso?
So when southerners moved in large numbers to El Paso that doesn't have a southern theme.

Btw, still in the geographic location known as the South.
There is not a large population of Mississippians in El Paso compared to other parts of Texas. Most Mississippi migrating west kept going until they couldn’t any more (settling in Los Angeles or Oakland). And most Texans don’t consider any part of Texas West of the Pecos River to be the south. Texas is a huge state that spans multiple regions. El Paso is sandwiched between New Mexico and Mexico itself - not the south last time I checked. You’ve clearly and obviously have never traveled to El Paso or think that a few people you knew in Mississippi who moved there due to the military made some huge waves - they didn’t.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:03 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
[quote=poppydog;60032078]
Quote:
Nope

You are NOT WELCOME for putting words in my mouth and incorrectly attributing quotes to me.

The Mid-Atlantic region is NOT PART OF THE SOUTH.
Have you not seen the map...they still in the south.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
With each post, you’re reaching more and more. You have had several Texans in here tell you there is nothing Southern about El Paso. Yet you still obstinately sit there justifying your reasoning by claiming a few Mississippians moved to El Paso some years ago. Mississippians moved to Arizona as well. Does that make it Southern? Unlike the other Texas cities 500-700 miles to its east, El Paso has always have a large Mexican population and a large Mexican presence. Even larger and longer than San Antonio. It’s the epitome of frontier west and is known as the second largest city in the southwest. It never truly had a history all that much tied to the Southern US throughout its history.

El Paso really came into its own around the same time Phoenix and Tucson did. El Paso is historically, demographically, and especially presently, different from the rest of the state and especially the Southeast.
Still in the South. Y'all doing to much cultural gymnastics still a city in the South.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
There is not a large population of Mississippians in El Paso compared to other parts of Texas. Most Mississippi migrating west kept going until they couldn’t any more (settling in Los Angeles or Oakland). And most Texans don’t consider any part of Texas West of the Pecos River to be the south. Texas is a huge state that spans multiple regions. El Paso is sandwiched between New Mexico and Mexico itself - not the south last time I checked. You’ve clearly and obviously have never traveled to El Paso or think that a few people you knew in Mississippi who moved there due to the military made some huge waves - they didn’t.
Bruh I'm not speaking to you.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:31 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Bruh I'm not speaking to you.
But you just did. And you still don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, Bruh.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:37 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Still in the South. Y'all doing to much cultural gymnastics still a city in the South.
City still not Southern. As much as you want it to be.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:04 AM

561 posts, read 513,802 times
I have the answer!

In looking at a map of North America, most all of the 48 contiguous states of the US, are further south than Canada..

So all states south of Michigan is “The South” (including my home state of Nebraska and city of Omaha).

So there is the answer to what is “the south”.

https://geology.com/world/north-amer...te-image.shtml

Best wishes to all for a Happy and healthy New Year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City