Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 11:33 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
COL, Orlando is much cheaper than greater Miami for housing
It is not “much cheaper” than Greater Miami. That gap has narrowed significantly, and outside of Miami proper, it’s quite close, with homes in Orlando being more expensive that in West Palm Beach, and comparable to Fort Lauderdale.

The main draw to Orlando vs Miami is lifestyle, plain and simple. Orlando is a mid-sized metro with some big city amenities. Miami is a big metro with a much more hectic/rapid pace. It’s Basically Richmond vs DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Let’s just my 5 half brothers, other half sister and 20 nephews and nieces, and cousins all live between Orlando and Southern Florida. I’m Haitian American so please don’t ever ask me how familiar I am with central and southern Florida again. LOL!

But to answer your question I’m in the state easily 2-3 time’s a year since you know us Haitians are very family orientated.
Minor detail, I know, but no one familiar with the area would call it “southern Florida.”

Old 01-03-2021, 11:38 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
Orlando is more suitable for raising families. For kids, you can take them for a day outing at one of the many theme parks in Orlando. South Florida is more for young professionals into partying. If my support system wasn't in Houston, Orlando would definitely be on my go-to list for residence. I could get a place on International Drive and be walking distance to restaurants, nightlife, shopping, all that. I say this as someone who has family in Orlando & Miami on my mom & dad's side, and I've been to both cities many times in years past. When I graduated with my MBA, I went to Orlando and Miami for a week each to celebrate.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The main draw to Orlando vs Miami is lifestyle, plain and simple. Orlando is a mid-sized metro with some big city amenities. Miami is a big metro with a much more hectic/rapid pace. It’s Basically Richmond vs DC.
If you are going to compare Orlando to Richmond, I sure hope that one particular profile/account here on C-D doesn't read this.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you are going to compare Orlando to Richmond, I sure hope that one particular profile/account here on C-D doesn't read this.
LOL. Not competing Orlando to Richmond, but rather Orlando vs Miami to Richmond vs DC.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Orlando is a mid-sized metro with some big city amenities. Miami is a big metro with a much more hectic/rapid pace. It’s Basically Richmond vs DC.
Bad comparison seeing as though DC and Miami are peers and Orlando and Richmond are not. DC vs Baltimore, Atlanta vs Charlotte, Philly vs Pittsburgh, Seattle vs Portland, etc are more apt comparisons.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:22 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Well prior to 2012sh people moved to Orlando for COL. I remember we sold our home in Massachusetts for $460k and bought a larger, more beautiful house in a nicer area for $150,000. In a gated community. HOAs were $95 on a golf course. With a pool and with A+ schools.

If you think about it:

We were spending
-$975 on Mortgage, HOA, Home Insurance and Property Taxes (Which were $1,800 a year) per month.
-$500 for All expenses with the home per month (Electricity, Water, Pool Maitenance, Orkin, etc).

However, when we sold it in the Mid 2010s it was ~400k range. It was good investment for sure, but I cant see going back to Orlando and paying that amount of money for how low jobs pay, especially when there are better metropolitan areas out there.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Bad comparison seeing as though DC and Miami are peers and Orlando and Richmond are not. DC vs Baltimore, Atlanta vs Charlotte, Philly vs Pittsburgh, Seattle vs Portland, etc are more apt comparisons.
You know what I was getting at. Lol.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:26 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
It is interesting the challenges Orlando faces. Theme parks and tourism are a big chunk of Orlando's economy. The bars downtown are not safe and transportation is not efficient for low income workers.

https://www.visitorlando.com/en/medi...revious%20year.

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...-of-the-world/

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...-not-compliant

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...kau-story.html

Old 01-03-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It is interesting the challenges Orlando faces. Theme parks and tourism are a big chunk of Orlando's economy. The bars downtown are not safe and transportation is not efficient for low income workers.

https://www.visitorlando.com/en/medi...revious%20year.

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...-of-the-world/

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...-not-compliant

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...kau-story.html
Why are the bars downtown “not safe?” Lol...

Tourism is a major part of ALL of Florida’s economy, maybe even more so in South Florida than in Central Florida. Take the theme park goggles off, and realize that there is a lot more going on here than just parks. I haven’t been to a theme park in “Orlando” in years. Most people living here don’t give much of a rats ass about them. Although it’s nice to have that kind of stuff nearby, in case one wants to visit without having to travel. Ironically, I’ve been to theme parks in Tampa several times and have had annual passes for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City