Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the 6th most urban?
Washington DC 72 57.14%
Los Angeles 39 30.95%
Seattle 14 11.11%
Other 1 0.79%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 07:22 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm really trying to figure out how LA is beating Seattle in urbanity, no offense but I just can't see how this is a thing.

Zip codes with 10,000+ ppsm:

Los Angeles: 37

Seattle: 6

Miles of interurban rail:

Los Angeles: 105

Seattle: 24

We can start with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 08:06 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
LA would win that by most measures, sure.

But Seattle is up 25% in this decade. We passed LA in density within city limits.

And you really don't want to compare transit between Seattle and LA. Guess who's much higher in commute share?

Old 12-31-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
LA would win that by most measures, sure.

But Seattle is up 25% in this decade. We passed LA in density within city limits.

And you really don't want to compare transit between Seattle and LA. Guess who's much higher in commute share?
Being able to maintain over 8000 ppsm across 469 square miles is way more significant than being able to maintain slightly more than that over 80 miles.

I don't see obscure commute metrics as being relevant here, as Los Angeles is a true legacy mass transit city which accounts for such massive area of urban density. Seattle just decided to be serious about this a few decades ago, and its small urban footprint reflects that.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:34 PM

It has a horrible transit share by the "legacy mass transit city" standard. Seattle beats it in every way in ridership share. Even county, which is a pretty parallel comparison.

King County: 14.9% transit commute share, 5.2% walk, 1.7% bike, 60.2% drive alone.
LA County: 5.7% transit commute share, 2.6% walk, 0.7% bike, 73.9% drive alone.

Should we do metros too?

Old 12-31-2020, 08:35 PM

955 posts, read 610,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm really trying to figure out how LA is beating Seattle in urbanity, no offense but I just can't see how this is a thing.
Seattle has places that look downright rural to me within the city limits.

This view here is only 6 or 7 blocks from the downtown core.

The entire southern half of the Link light rail corridor (which has been operational for 11 years now) is still incredibly low density. The Beacon Hill subway station some how still looks extremely suburban. Or the Rainier Beach station looking like something out of rural Eastern Washington.

The dropoff in density from downtown to the rest of the city is tremendous and I don't think we see anything like it in LA.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:40 PM

If you want LA to compete with Seattle on transit, you can get closer if I use Bellevue:

City of LA: 8.8% transit, 3.4% walk, 0.8% bike, 69.7% drive alone.
City of Bellevue: 13.1% transit, 7.8% walk, 1.6% bike, 56.0% drive alone.

Or you could do the city of LA vs. the Seattle metro...I'm trying to get you closer here!

Seattle metro: 10.7% transit, 3.9% walk, 1.1% bike, 66.7% drive alone.

We're not very good, frankly. It's just that LA is much worse.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Seattle has places that look downright rural to me within the city limits.

This view here is only 6 or 7 blocks from the downtown core.

The entire southern half of the Link light rail corridor (which has been operational for 11 years now) is still incredibly low density. The Beacon Hill subway station some how still looks extremely suburban. Or the Rainier Beach station looking like something out of rural Eastern Washington.

The dropoff in density from downtown to the rest of the city is tremendous and I don't think we see anything like it in LA.
Seattle's dominant land use is bungalows. It's not surprising that you can walk to some in 15 minutes from the CBD (not easily to your example...big hill in the way).

As for the Rainier Valley, it's not emblematic of Seattle density. The north is much denser. When Link opens three stations to the north in 2021, two will be in denser spots and the third is a suburban type area starting a rapid transformation.

But Rainier Valley and Beacon Hill are densifying too. Rainier Beach Station will always be low density as it's the intersection of two greenbelts, an industrial valley, and a power line corridor. Beacon Hill will always be on a small scale based on its limited dense zoning. We've done a poor job of upzoning station areas in general. But both stations have projects coming, as do all of the others.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
It has a horrible transit share by the "legacy mass transit city" standard. Seattle beats it in every way in ridership share. Even county, which is a pretty parallel comparison.

King County: 14.9% transit commute share, 5.2% walk, 1.7% bike, 60.2% drive alone.
LA County: 5.7% transit commute share, 2.6% walk, 0.7% bike, 73.9% drive alone.

Should we do metros too?
You dodged the entire point and reverted back to the same familiar talking point.

The fact that Los Angeles coalesced around one of the largest mass transit systems in world history guarantees an urban form that Seattle can't have (see thread title).

We can listen to the echo chamber of "hurr durr, polynodal, decentralized, strip malls, auto centric" from the conventional wisdom peddlers who don't really know what they're talking about on this forum or we can look at that one basic fact.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:57 PM

955 posts, read 610,824 times
Quote:
Seattle's dominant land use is bungalows. It's not surprising that you can walk to some in 15 minutes from the CBD (not easily to your example...big hill in the way).

As for the Rainier Valley, it's not emblematic of Seattle density. The north is much denser. When Link opens three stations to the north in 2021, two will be in denser spots and the third is a suburban type area starting a rapid transformation.

But Rainier Valley and Beacon Hill are densifying too. Rainier Beach Station will always be low density as it's the intersection of two greenbelts, an industrial valley, and a power line corridor. Beacon Hill will always be on a small scale based on its limited dense zoning. We've done a poor job of upzoning station areas in general. But both stations have projects coming, as do all of the others.
Link has been operational for 11 years and the city has failed to up-zone properly which is such a missed opportunity.

And one can say that these are not emblematic of Seattle's density, but really they are the norm and the outliers are the denser tracts. The entirety of the southern half of the city is extremely suburban in build form, as are most areas in the north once you get past Ballard, Freemont and the UD.

It's been 2 years since I was in Seattle, so maybe things have changed drastically, but I definitely feel like the drop-off in density is very abrupt once you leave the core.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Seattle is very urban.. It and LA are probably the best examples of post-car urban development.

But directly comparing them to the urban vernacular of DC & Baltimore (both of which predate the automobile by well over a century) is going to be difficult when they are so different in built from.
By 1925 Los Angeles had more miles of interurban rail than NYC has today. How many private cars do you think were on the road in 1925?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City